Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Happscrap

Just Test Drive a Tesla
Jan 27, 2020
Clearwater, Fl.
Getting ready to pull the trigger on the 2020 model X, I have some concerns and was hoping to get some help here.

Family of 5 children plus the boss (wife) and she doesn't drive so the truck that we have now is our only vehicle. If we all go someplace our oldest son takes his car.
I currently drive a 2017 f250 superduty 6.7 diesel. I love my truck but really only use it as a daily driver. My tasks are: Everyday use for family, supermarket, movies, dinner, and main thing I use this truck for is daily Estimates for our company.
I own a large arboriculture business and spend around 100$ to 125$ a week on diesel fuel for this truck by itself not including the other trucks we own as we own 2 other ford superduties and other large trucks.

So my thoughts are to get rid of the one main family truck for the model x as my fuel savings and the miles i do will save my some coin and plus we could all fit in the model x.

My concerns are : Have they fixed all the issues on the model x? Ive read a lot about early models and I will be driving at least 100 miles a day. Are they super dependable suvs? I love this suv when test driving. I also test drove the model 3 but its just not practical for the size family we have.

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Previous F-250 owner (2013, 2015, 2018) and now 2019 Ford Raptor .. switching to Model X more out of curiosity than necessity .. love love love the Raptor .. easily my favorite vehicle so far ..

Have they fixed all the issues on the model x?

No .. but neither has Ford with the F-250 .. or Raptor .. don't worry too much about what people say on the forum .. for every 1 issue reported there's probably 500 cars without issues.

It's the same with Ford forums .. I would never buy a vehicle based on a forum .. according to the forums all vehicles are all giant pieces of junk that will break immediately and all service experiences suck .. but you know that's not true.

08 Ford F350 Diesel , never had an issue...... Remember the flame shooting out of the tailpipe videos..... Never had it, dang it !! 16 F150 Limited now, best truck ever, but not according to the forum.

Hoping for the same with the new X. I think I'm 2 weeks into about an 8 week wait.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Paint / fit / etc aside - range with the MX can be a real pain, esp in the winter.
Which part of the country do you live in? If you have cold winters and plan on doing 100 miles / day, if you have days where there is more driving, you may start to have issues.
it’s not a dealbreaker, but it’s a factor you will have to always consider.

Case in point, had a day in the low 30’s last week, I had a dinner to go to but needed to swing by a property I own about 40 miles away first, I think I round tripped 120 miles that day.
As things were last minute, I had only charged to 85% the night before and to make sure I got home ok - I had to take a 25 minute pit stop at a super charging station.
Did it ruin my day, no? But if I had a flight to catch or a deadline to hit, it may have been a problem.
In the end, It’s just another variable that you have to factor in. But a variable you didn’t really have to think about with an ICE

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Thank you for the comment...
I live in Florida.... never cold. I have read about the cold which should truly never effect me as i dont even travel out of state when its cold. Raised in NH and moved here 31 years ago.. and would probably freeze if i saw snow... never even driven in snow!
So all in all this is a great car!
I just ordered one... im test driving one for the evening and absolutely love this suv

Reactions: jboy210
Thank you for the comment...
I live in Florida.... never cold. I have read about the cold which should truly never effect me as i dont even travel out of state when its cold. Raised in NH and moved here 31 years ago.. and would probably freeze if i saw snow... never even driven in snow!
So all in all this is a great car!
I just ordered one... im test driving one for the evening and absolutely love this suv

It must get cold in Florida.;) The Miami NWS issue a failing Iguana bulletin last week, National Weather Service issues alert for falling iguanas

Previous F-250 owner (2013, 2015, 2018) and now 2019 Ford Raptor .. switching to Model X more out of curiosity than necessity .. love love love the Raptor .. easily my favorite vehicle so far ..

No .. but neither has Ford with the F-250 .. or Raptor .. don't worry too much about what people say on the forum .. for every 1 issue reported there's probably 500 cars without issues.

It's the same with Ford forums .. I would never buy a vehicle based on a forum .. according to the forums all vehicles are all giant pieces of junk that will break immediately and all service experiences suck .. but you know that's not true.
My wife got a 2020 Raptor, while i'm still soldiering on with the MX as the DD. The Raptor is an awesome car and has quickly taken over as the choice family long hauler.

Its not that i dont like my truck... its good... it does the trick... never had an issue with it.
But... and its a huge BUT...

I spend 500-600$ a month on fuel for this truck alone not including the oil changes... takes almost 4 gallons.

And another huge But...
BUT... after driving this model x... ive never in my life have driven a vehicle that acts and performs like this. Never.
And at that note... Im sold.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Also... imo... I tried to see it in a reverse light... i imagined never owning a gas motor... ever... and my whole life ive only owned a ev ... like a tesla...
And then one day someone started selling gas cars and tried to sell me..

salesman: so you will have to go to gas stations...
Me: i cant just fill up at my house?
Salesman: no... and its going to cost more and discharge toxic gas.
Me: wow... really
Salesman: you will also have to do oil changes every 3500 miles.
Me: whats oil???
Salesman: and other maintenance like belts, spark plugs, radiator fluid, power steering fluid ect.
Me: really? No way
Salesman: also... when you step on the gas pedal you will be waiting to accelerate down the road as theres a transmission that lags.
Me: i just cant step on it and have instant power?
Salesman: it might go 200000 miles... maybe.
Me: thats not even half of what evs go.
Salesman: your going to have to bring it in for routine maintenance all the time...
Me: i have to work.

Later that day... me: im not buying that honey. No freaking way.

So in my eyes... reversing the situation really hit home with me and once i test drove it... come on man.. its easy math.

My wife got a 2020 Raptor, while i'm still soldiering on with the MX as the DD. The Raptor is an awesome car and has quickly taken over as the choice family long hauler.

If we go on vaca, i wont mind the stopping for super charging as we wont be in a rush... take in some sight seeing... go for a walk.. stretch... relax... whole idea of the Vacation in my eyes. I know the full 344 range wont be there but it will work. We don't travel that much anyway so 99% of the time ill have a full battery when i leave the house.

While not perfect, a Model X can work out pretty efficiently for a family of 7. Seats for everyone, with the little ones in the way back. There is a little bonus up front where a handy extra storage area is located, where normally your motor goes. Can easily pay for itself with just the weekly fuel costs of a F-250,

When you are alone, the rear seats can fold down flat to carry business needs or Costco runs.

It has a presence, and everybody will know when the Boss pulls up to a worksite. Lots of range for OP and no longer a need for the oldest son to bring along an extra car for family outtings.

F-250 is a lot of truck to haul around when just one person is on board. Does not fit well in normal parking spaces, and except for the owner...that Diesel is pretty obnoxious for neighbors and non job site trips.

While a Mini Van probably is the more practicle choice, Dad is not ready for that yet. The performance, handling and presence of a Model X can make a guy feel pretty good about himself. It is faster than a Raptor, with out all the noise and drama.

Wife will love riding in it. Diesel F-150 is usually not the choice of a lot of women.

The test drive probably gives the OP all the information needed to make the purchase. Can ignore much of the forum drama as complainers get loud, while happy owners are mostly quiet, and enjoying their choice.

Florida has lots of Superchargers and service centers. No problems with loss of range due to cold batteries. Good place to own a Tesla.

OP will love not needing to leave his Diesel running everytime he gets someplace (for some reason Diesel owner never seem to shut off their trucks). Having the automatic doors open and close for you, that huge center display, the quiet cruise, never again getting diesel on your hands (never get the smell off), the huge panorama windshield filled with the tall trees he is going to attend to, the joy of getting the whole family inside the same vehicle, being able to hook up to 5,000 lbs to tow if necessary, the great stereo, and most of all...no longer filling the air around him with obnoxious Diesel stink.

Bonus is that X comes standard with AWD for job sites and air suspension in case you need additional ground clearance in rough stuff.

You will feel like a free man, when you experience the power compared to your F-250. Faster in every respect while offering great handling and comfort.

Enjoy your new Tesla. It can be life altering in many ways.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
While not perfect, a Model X can work out pretty efficiently for a family of 7. Seats for everyone, with the little ones in the way back. There is a little bonus up front where a handy extra storage area is located, where normally your motor goes. Can easily pay for itself with just the weekly fuel costs of a F-250,

When you are alone, the rear seats can fold down flat to carry business needs or Costco runs.

It has a presence, and everybody will know when the Boss pulls up to a worksite. Lots of range for OP and no longer a need for the oldest son to bring along an extra car for family outtings.

F-250 is a lot of truck to haul around when just one person is on board. Does not fit well in normal parking spaces, and except for the owner...that Diesel is pretty obnoxious for neighbors and non job site trips.

While a Mini Van probably is the more practicle choice, Dad is not ready for that yet. The performance, handling and presence of a Model X can make a guy feel pretty good about himself. It is faster than a Raptor, with out all the noise and drama.

Wife will love riding in it. Diesel F-150 is usually not the choice of a lot of women.

The test drive probably gives the OP all the information needed to make the purchase. Can ignore much of the forum drama as complainers get loud, while happy owners are mostly quiet, and enjoying their choice.

Florida has lots of Superchargers and service centers. No problems with loss of range due to cold batteries. Good place to own a Tesla.

OP will love not needing to leave his Diesel running everytime he gets someplace (for some reason Diesel owner never seem to shut off their trucks). Having the automatic doors open and close for you, that huge center display, the quiet cruise, never again getting diesel on your hands (never get the smell off), the huge panorama windshield filled with the tall trees he is going to attend to, the joy of getting the whole family inside the same vehicle, being able to hook up to 5,000 lbs to tow if necessary, the great stereo, and most of all...no longer filling the air around him with obnoxious Diesel stink.

Bonus is that X comes standard with AWD for job sites and air suspension in case you need additional ground clearance in rough stuff.

You will feel like a free man, when you experience the power compared to your F-250. Faster in every respect while offering great handling and comfort.

Enjoy your new Tesla. It can be life altering in many ways.

Wow... thank you... everything you just stated really puts a smile on my face.

Thank you for taking the time to write that...
My wife hates the smell of diesel... and yea.. we kept it running as its hot as heck here!

I when to a large electrical wholesaler to get all my electrical supply to install my electrical plug.
I noticed several contractor using a Model X, I suppose the 5 seat version, instead of a typical pickup truck.
One of then even had a trailer to carry heavy duty equipment.
I imagine they then use the Model X to carry their family on weekend as I noticed a baby booster seat.

Reactions: IdaX and Happscrap
Also... imo... I tried to see it in a reverse light... i imagined never owning a gas motor... ever... and my whole life ive only owned a ev ... like a tesla...
And then one day someone started selling gas cars and tried to sell me..

salesman: so you will have to go to gas stations...
Me: i cant just fill up at my house?
Salesman: no... and its going to cost more and discharge toxic gas.
Me: wow... really
Salesman: you will also have to do oil changes every 3500 miles.
Me: whats oil???
Salesman: and other maintenance like belts, spark plugs, radiator fluid, power steering fluid ect.
Me: really? No way
Salesman: also... when you step on the gas pedal you will be waiting to accelerate down the road as theres a transmission that lags.
Me: i just cant step on it and have instant power?
Salesman: it might go 200000 miles... maybe.
Me: thats not even half of what evs go.
Salesman: your going to have to bring it in for routine maintenance all the time...
Me: i have to work.

Later that day... me: im not buying that honey. No freaking way.

So in my eyes... reversing the situation really hit home with me and once i test drove it... come on man.. its easy math.

^^^ I've had this exact conversation a lot.

Maintenance on my X so far:

• I got tires once (after 40k or so miles).
  • I go through a lot of wiper fluid.
  • A couple minor maintenance things that they came to me to take care of.

Reactions: wreighven