Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X100D charging at reduced amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Dec 26, 2016 Model X P100D has about 22,000 miles and routinely I see 72A charging. I keep the battery between 20% and 80%, rarely if ever charging beyond 80% unless I'm leaving very shortly and then only to 90%. Since the 2018.21 update my X only charges at 60 Amps. Can't get it to go back up to 72 Amps.

When I first called Tesla about the charging issues with our new X 100D, they reviewed the logs, verified the X was having charging problems and scheduled an appointment to have the nearest Service Center inspect & test the charging system.

I then got a call back from the charging team, who confirmed this was a general problem with recent built vehicles, and that charging with Gen 2 UMC or HPWC should work (which is the case), and that there would not be any reason to go to the Service Center.

If you don't have a recently built S/3/X and you're having problems, then there could be an issue with either your charging connector or with the vehicle - and you should contact Tesla, have them review your logs, and possibly go to a Service Center to have them inspect & test your vehicle (and your charging connector, if it isn't an HPWC).

Lol after I posted several threads above about not having issue I now have this issue ...I have 2018 XP100 100a circuit normally set car at 64a, HPWC Gen1 , MCU1 ...my hack is I start my car low at 56a and than when gets going I bump to 64a ...works fine ...but at night this will suck :eek:...needless to say got the mobile technician coming out now

Lol after I posted several threads above about not having issue I now have this issue ...I have 2018 XP100 100a circuit normally set car at 64a, HPWC Gen1 , MCU1 ...my hack is I start my car low at 56a and than when gets going I bump to 64a ...works fine ...but at night this will suck :eek:...needless to say got the mobile technician coming out now

Seeing same. Takes 3-4 resets, I lower to 30 amps and when it finally starts, I ramp up to 72a.

A pain manually but workable but won't work with scheduled overnight charging.

Looking forward to hearing whether mobile guy can fix or will need a SW update? I might just install new charger.

I can replicate this consistently doesn’t even need 3 resets of HPWC just start off greater than 40a in car ...HPwC will trip , reset HPWC , set car to 40a ...start charging ..go in car set to 72a ..charging continues fine :eek:

We're charging fine at home now, using either a Gen 2 UMC (32A with a 14-50 outlet) or our 100A Gen 2 HPWC (72A charging).

Now that we've got that solved, what remains is the potential for encountering Gen 1 HPWCs at hotels during road trips. Our next trip will be to a location that only has a 14-30 outlet, so we should be fine using our Gen 2 UMC for overnight charging. On a subsequent trip, if we are going to a location with an HPWC, I'll check with Tesla and the hotel to determine if it's a Gen 1 HPWC and if they also have a working J1772 connector as a fallback - and also line up alternative charging options, in case that doesn't work.

Tesla needs to get this fixed...

On a subsequent trip, if we are going to a location with an HPWC, I'll check with Tesla and the hotel to determine if it's a Gen 1 HPWC
They probably won't have any idea what you're talking about. But you will be able to identify it when you see it to know what to do. If the body of the wall connector has that little carved out dock on the right side to hang the handle in, that was added to the design in the 2nd generation remodel of the wall connectors.

• Informative
Reactions: GOPJEW
On Plugshare, there are often pictures of the HPWC - so that might help. You can ask them to verify about the side docking connector.

Though the best solution is to get a software fix for this issue. The longer this goes, the larger number of vehicles that will be affected...

Olde version HPWC are even installed at Tesla facilities, like the Mall stores. In my local case, they are now just powered off. My guess is that until a software fix is created and deployed, the Destination chargers should be completely disregarded if you are driving w an MCU2. Tesla replaced my 3 year old HPWC for free, which got me going at home. But it does nothing for me on the road.

Just to confirm I’m seeing this same issue on 24.1 MCU1 both at home and at hotel now same behavior ...initial handshake will cause red ring ..than several resets of the HPWC will allow normal charging ...I have the ranger coming back Friday with their car ...their initial response to me was buy a Gen 2 HPWC lol ...this is not good for the amount of Gen 1 HPWCs out there ...I’m pushing back on buying one if they broke this with software either put a patch in or give me new HPWC

Just to confirm I’m seeing this same issue on 24.1 MCU1 both at home and at hotel now same behavior ...initial handshake will cause red ring ..than several resets of the HPWC will allow normal charging ...I have the ranger coming back Friday with their car ...their initial response to me was buy a Gen 2 HPWC lol ...this is not good for the amount of Gen 1 HPWCs out there ...I’m pushing back on buying one if they broke this with software either put a patch in or give me new HPWC

Agreed.

Seems to me Tesla is wasting valuable field service time by sending techs out to solve a problem that is MFG/SW related. They wanted to send the ranger over to my home as well and I told them thanks but no need (unless the new HPWC2 doesnt fix the problem). I still have units in NC that will have same problem so I hope they fix it soon.

I am disappointed however that no one from home charging unit has returned my call nor answered my email from two days ago. I gather they're swamped.......

It appears that the phone support, service centers and delivery teams are not aware of the Gen 1 charging issues with the newer vehicles.

When I first reported this issue with our new X to phone support, they scheduled a service center appointment to check our charging hardware. This was cancelled after I got a call back from the charging team and got confirmation this is a known problem, not specific to our new X, and that replacing our Gen 1 HPWC with a Gen 2 would fix our home charging problems (which was done last week).

This week, I exchanged e-mails with our local delivery person and mentioned the Gen 1 charging issue and recommended they brief new owners on the potential incompatibilities that could affect repeat Tesla customers at home and all customers when trying to use Gen 1 HPWC destination chargers. And they weren't aware of the issue and scheduled a mobile service appointment to check our charging hardware (which I immediately cancelled).

Replacing the Gen 1 HPWCs at home (for repeat Tesla customers) solves the overnight problem. It's unlikely Tesla is going to replace all of the Gen 1 HPWC destination chargers - so they really need to get this information to all affected owners, so you aren't surprised on a road trip, unable to charge with a Gen 1 destination charger, and could get stuck without enough charge to reach the nearest supercharger.

For anyone encountering this issue, if the Tesla person you are talking with isn't aware of this general problem, request to talk with the "charging team" so they can put your vehicle on the list, and they may be able to provide you more assistance (since they understand the problem).

Until we get a fix (hopefully through an OTA software update), this is going to be an increasingly larger problem for Tesla - now that they're building 7000 new vehicles a week...

Reactions: Rocky_H
@X Fan I spent a good 2hrs back and forth on phone last few days ...I’m not going to buy new hpwc only to have software break again ..:( ..:in four years of ownership I haven’t seen anything like this :eek:

You should not have to BUY one. They GAVE me a new one, as long as I promised to bring my old one back in the next few days. They did not offer to install it for me, but that was not a big deal for me. The new model is quite a bit easier to install than the original. Took me less than an hour to swap it out. ...but that obviously does not address the installed base of destination chargers. But with all the recent supercharger additions, hopefully I won't have to rely on the DC's too much.

Reactions: P85_DA
Sorry to sort of hijack this most informative thread, but I may be getting a 2018 S100D in September and I have a Clipper Creek CS-100 in my summer home. Anyone know if MCU2 cars can handshake with the Clipper Creek EVSEs or is this also a problem?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Sorry to sort of hijack this most informative thread, but I may be getting a 2018 S100D in September and I have a Clipper Creek CS-100 in my summer home. Anyone know if MCU2 cars can handshake with the Clipper Creek EVSEs or is this also a problem?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

This seems to be limited to Gen1 HPWC I ran some tests st my hotel last night and the gen 1 HPWC consistently fails ..the ChargePoint and clipper creeks nearby worked fine ...hopefully by September any software issues are worked out and you won’t see this issue ..otherwise I may be giving away a free Gen1 HPWC lol

We're also seeing issues with our 14-50 connector (which appears to have the Gen 1 hardware) - our new X will charge successfully, but the amps are getting reduced down from 40A to something lower by the time charging ends. When I reported this issue to Tesla, I believe I also demonstrated the same problems with our Gen 1 UMC (with the 14-50 adapter). We aren't seeing this tapering using our Gen 2 UMC (which is limited to 32A) or our Gen 2 HPWC.

As for swapping out the Gen 1 HPWC and replacing it with a Gen 2 HPWC yourself, I'd advise against that.

The Gen 1 and Gen 2 HPWC use different mounts, and the Tesla installers took over an hour to get the Gen 2 HPWC to mount successfully on our wall.

Plus, unless you're an electrician and have the proper tools, you will not be able to verify you have the connectors attached at the recommended pressure. Especially if you are putting this on a 100A circuit and charging at 72-80A, you want to make sure the connectors are attached properly...

Posted this on S forum (double post I know):

Bit the bullet and had HPWC Gen2 installed this morning

Now I can charge fine.

Electrician is one of Tesla’s recommended installers here in SW Florida so they said will submit it as a warranty replacement (I had to pay for the new HPWC).

However, I’m not expecting Tesla to do the right thing here (too much bureaucracy + inability to make decisions + charging team is non-responsive....3 days and no response to email nor vm).

Oh well, it works and I can afford it but..

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA