TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New X5 xDrive 40e

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by purplewalt, Nov 7, 2015.

1. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

2. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

~19 AER from 9 kWh battery pack.

~400 mile range from 22.4 gallon tank.

This type of PHEV are needed to drive in European cities where ICE are banned downtown. More such cities are coming.

Since the tech is already paid for then BMW brings them to North America. PHEV with low AER will be all across the range.

Then some gimped city BEVs and some FCEV for the i Series.

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

Mercedes Benz too. GLE (formerly ML) and C-Class plug-ins are "coming soon" on top of the S-Class that has already sold 10+10+17+25 units in the last 4 months.

4. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

I'm optimistic. Volt owner experience seems to indicate that phev is gateway drug to the pure stuff. And that crappy range will quickly be unacceptable. We already know 36 isn't enough.

It will be interesting to see how 54 miles holds up with this next gen volt buyers.

5. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Most North American buyers of Volt are ideologically opposed to using oil.

Half would prefer a Tesla but can't afford it while the other half is driven to EREV/PHEV by range anxiety.

I don't think you will have the same buyer profile for the BMW PHEVs.

In Europe many will by for the practical reason of being able to drive downtown, to do so without congestion charge, and preempt any new restrictions on their driving.

The other part of European drivers and almost all of American buyers will be people who want to tell their friends how much they care about the environment. They want to tell their friends and family they bought a car with a plug. 19 miles or 54 miles of AER don't really matter.

But we shall see.....

6. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

7. Brick_top

Brick_top Member

bmw has recently started advertising on tv the i3 here in portugal. They say in the future cars will be 100% electric

there is also another tv ad about the leaf saying they have a new battery for 250km range

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

How long before we start seeing these plugged into a J1772 all day, blocking the space from EVs that need it. It will be as bad as a PiP.

9. GSP

GSP Member

This looks like 13 miles AER at first glance, but it says "electricity + gas." The fine print below shows the AER to be "0-12 miles."

Pretty weak. The Volt is in a completely different league than cars like this. However if you need more room and AWD, this is (slightly) better than nothing.

GSP

10. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Agree. That's going to be a real pain, especially for Leaf owners with degrading batteries.