Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X5 xDrive 40e

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
~19 AER from 9 kWh battery pack.

~400 mile range from 22.4 gallon tank.

This type of PHEV are needed to drive in European cities where ICE are banned downtown. More such cities are coming.

Since the tech is already paid for then BMW brings them to North America. PHEV with low AER will be all across the range.

Then some gimped city BEVs and some FCEV for the i Series.

I'm optimistic. Volt owner experience seems to indicate that phev is gateway drug to the pure stuff. And that crappy range will quickly be unacceptable. We already know 36 isn't enough.

It will be interesting to see how 54 miles holds up with this next gen volt buyers.

Most North American buyers of Volt are ideologically opposed to using oil.

Half would prefer a Tesla but can't afford it while the other half is driven to EREV/PHEV by range anxiety.

I don't think you will have the same buyer profile for the BMW PHEVs.

In Europe many will by for the practical reason of being able to drive downtown, to do so without congestion charge, and preempt any new restrictions on their driving.

The other part of European drivers and almost all of American buyers will be people who want to tell their friends how much they care about the environment. They want to tell their friends and family they bought a car with a plug. 19 miles or 54 miles of AER don't really matter.

But we shall see.....

$62K for 13 miles of electric range is not very compelling... :frown:

more information here http://insideevs.com/bmw-x5-xdrive40e-first-drive/

bmw-x5-7.jpg

$62K for 13 miles of electric range is not very compelling... :frown:

more information here http://insideevs.com/bmw-x5-xdrive40e-first-drive/

bmw-x5-7.jpg

This looks like 13 miles AER at first glance, but it says "electricity + gas." The fine print below shows the AER to be "0-12 miles."

Pretty weak. The Volt is in a completely different league than cars like this. However if you need more room and AWD, this is (slightly) better than nothing.

GSP