Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Y - Is this evidence of the single casting?

jmatero

Feb 5, 2020
San Jose, CA, USA
So, I have no desire to rip apart my interior to confirm whether or not I have the single casting in my recently built MY. And the entire rear underbody is covered so no luck there. However, I snapped this picture through an opening in the wheel well (sorry about the quality) which shows a large, somewhat rough-finished structural component. When looking at the same area in my M3, that same spot is clearly sheet metal with seams riveted or glued.

Single casting? (I'll try to get a better shot from both sides).

IMG_1336.jpeg

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
It's hard to tell if we are photographing the exact same area. The belt buckle in my pic is the one for the rear passenger on the driver's side.

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
WOW! Congrats! :)

Tesla doesn't _any_ waste time. They already putting them in the production builds.

I hope someone (ATTN: Sandy Munro) will do a tear-down, show the entire casting, and compare against the two joined halves.

Yes, mine doesn't look like that and there's no seam. It's one complete part. Here's a closeup of the casting material. Lots of rough edges.

View attachment 595950 View attachment 595951

Sep 1, 2020
Vancouver
Vin 59XXX definitely not single rear casting. I assume they would not change until the quarter was over.

Would you know the highest VIN to date?

I refused a Model Y in August (bad fit and finish) and am holding off until the Model Y production transitions to the single-piece casting that also integrates the rear crash rails.

Thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

Brandon#

Aug 2, 2020
Austin, TX
Looking forward to some wide angle pictures for a side by side comparison.

It would make sense that Tesla would wait to announce the new cast pieces are being used until all the Y’s with “multi-piece” rears have been delivered.

Reactions: cstork

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC