Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Y - Is this evidence of the single casting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Improved fit and finish

Not likely to make any difference. (It isn't going to change how they align the doors, hood, hatch, etc.)

- Improved range, due to less total weight

Not likely to make any noticeable difference. The difference is between the Model 3 with a ton of parts and fasteners and the new casting process, not between a Model Y with a one or two piece rear casting.

- Improved structural integrity

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Will this impact cost to repair?

I doubt there will be much difference between the repair costs for Model Y with one or two part rear castings. If the main portion of either side/casting is significantly damaged, or maybe at all, the car will be totaled. But Elon did say that the crash rail portion of the castings can be cut off and replaced with a bolt on replacement part. (So collision repair will use parts that aren't used when making a new car.)

Reactions: DanCar
Nobody knows.
Biggest benefits are reduced manufacturing complexity and costs. Can turn out cars faster and cheaper. Increased profits.
Hard to see significant benefits to the consumer.

Not sure anyone could drive one and tell which had the different structure.

Bigger benefits will come when Tesla integrates their new battery packs into the structure. Will result in significantly less flex under stresses like cornering.

Not sure many would be willing to pay more for one with a one piece casting than for a two piece casting.

Future goal will be to connect front and rear castings with a solid battery slab. Will make assembly super fast and efficient. Won't need all those welding and drilling robots for basic structure. Highly integrated large components.

- Improved fit and finish
- Improved range, due to less total weight
- Improved structural integrity
... just to name a few.
Seriously, if the benefits were that great, don't you think Tesla would be making a big deal out of it, when they were actually in production? I haven't seen the range updated. OTOH, they just dumped their publicity department, so maybe the announcement is stuck in someone's desk...

Reactions: mark95476
Not likely to make any difference. (It isn't going to change how they align the doors, hood, hatch, etc.)

Not likely to make any noticeable difference. The difference is between the Model 3 with a ton of parts and fasteners and the new casting process, not between a Model Y with a one or two piece rear casting.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

It's not just joining to two halves together:
...we will transition a single piece casting that also integrates the two rear crash rails,” Musk said
The Redesign Of The Tesla Model Y Body Was Inspired By A Toy Car

Seriously, if the benefits were that great, don't you think Tesla would be making a big deal out of it, when they were actually in production? I haven't seen the range updated. OTOH, they just dumped their publicity department, so maybe the announcement is stuck in someone's desk...

... as soon as the "old" models are finished shipping, they might make an announcement.
Although the new back lights (with the yellow LED) showed up without any announcement.

Anyone who gets a 2021 model care to remove the back seats and take pictures? Tesla still does not list the weight of the Model Y on their website. I wonder what the 30% weight reduction would be overall.

Probably not much. I doubt that structure is really all that heavy (when compared to the whole car). Maybe a few hundred pounds to start with... so a 30% reduction might be in the tens of pounds... MAYBE a hundred pounds? It's not going to be much. Probably the difference in range will be when you drive alone vs when you drive with someone in the passenger seat....

Probably not much. I doubt that structure is really all that heavy (when compared to the whole car). Maybe a few hundred pounds to start with... so a 30% reduction might be in the tens of pounds... MAYBE a hundred pounds? It's not going to be much. Probably the difference in range will be when you drive alone vs when you drive with someone in the passenger seat....

Again that is a 30% reduction from the Model 3 structure, not the Model Y that was already using two cast pieces. I suspect there is very little weight change going from the two part cast rear structure to the single casting rear structure.