TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Y news Forthcoming?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Sully151, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Sully151

Sully151 Member

With the less than enthusiastic reaction by many about the Cybertruck from both the public and stock market, do you think there may be some news about MY in the near future?

New range calculations? The 3 just got a bump.

An earlier release than expected?

I would assume some good news would go a long way.

And I kinda love the truck.

• Like x 2
  2. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I doubt anything significant until the new year. We already know the release will be earlier then expected.
    As to the stock market reaction that has happened before after unveilings so I suspect it will bounce back fairly quickly after people better understand the Cybertruck.

• Like x 1
  3. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

I would love some towing specs. I have a travel trailer (11,000 pounds) and a boat/trailer (3,900 pounds). I was waiting for the Cybertruck to see if that could be my go-to for both, but that’s not happening. Overall, that’s fine because sometime I want to take both on trips so I’m going to keep my F-150 for the travel trailer and now just need a daily driver that can do boat duty. I only use the F-150 when I have to for towing and hauling so I don’t feel too bad about it.

5,000 pound towing capacity is probably too much to hope for with the Y, but I’m waiting a bit longer to see if it happens. The E-Tron and the EQC are rated for 4000, but they are expensive, and not really good anyway.

• Informative x 1
  4. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

do you just not like the looks of the CT? It really is a steal for functionality and storage and passenger space for $50k

5. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

Yes. It’s not for me. I try to temper my statements about things I don’t like because I realize my opinions are not facts, but I personally think the thing looks terrible. I like low key, don’t stand out type of vehicles.

• Like x 2
  6. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

I agree the CT will obviously stand out more but don’t all other Teslas stand out too?

the CT has definitely grown on me and what you get for the price is pretty amazing. But not for everyone though obviously.

7. Sully151

Sully151 Member

I’d love a CT, but there are some things preventing me from buying it.

It probably won’t fit in a lot of the parking spaces I frequent.

Might not fit in my garage.

Probably won’t be great on tight mountain roads (I could be totally wrong on this)

I don’t tow.

Most importantly, it’s not out for 2-3 years. My Jeep has over 200,000 miles, a constant burning smell, blown out suspension and a handful of other issues. She won’t make it that long as a daily driver.

The Y is close. Can still carry camping gear, and with a rack, my bikes.

• Like x 1
  8. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

CT definitely won’t fit in a standard garage but it’s no bigger than a Ford F-150

9. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

10. LowlyOilBurner

Is it confirmed the MY will have a hitch? Really want to use my hitch mount bike rack on this vehicle!

• Like x 1
  11. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

12. camthehombre

camthehombre Member

It will have one, just nobody knows it if will be standard or an option yet. I'm curious to see if it will be a 1.25" or 2" receiver.

• Like x 1
  13. electracity

electracity Banned

A standard new garage where I live has a six and a half foot door and is over 20' deep. Assuming CT can lower itself a bit, it will fit.

14. gecko10x

gecko10x Member

Ha! My Model 3 barely fits in my garage.

15. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.44.15

I don't think there's any set definition of what a "standard garage" is. Garages come in all different shapes and sizes.

When we expanded our garage a few years ago, we made sure the new garage bay had a taller garage door than the other two garages. We also had the other two doors widened and we don't have any problem fitting our vehicles in them. Given enough time and money, pretty much any garage could be modified, if necessary.

We have a Model Y and Cybertrucks on order and I know they will fit in our garages. Sadly, we will have to get rid of a 3 or S in order to make room for them.

16. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

Better be 2”. Class II isn’t going to get my boat to the harbor. :)

17. boriszima

boriszima Member

I wish Tesla would release dimensions. Sure 10% bigger compared to model 3. Even CT got definite length

• Like x 1
  18. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Hmmm. I guess I thought CT was closer to 244 inches long. You’re right. My garage is 20 feet deep. Only 8 inches of clearance to play with so that’s gonna be pretty tight lol.

19. Fredneck

Fredneck Member

How did a thread on news of the model Y turn into a truck discussion?

They did announce the model Y will be shipping in Q1. Isn't that pretty big news?

20. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

lol is that official now?