Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Y Performance Owner. Any Cheaper options for 21" tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just bought two 2020 MY Performace and these 21" tires are insanely price we drive like 30k a year (each) so what options are out there for cheaper tires ? or should be look another options for rims that have better tire selection if so what do you recommend. since we drive alot i dont want to be spending $3000 or more a year on tires

Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
I'm guessing you cannot drive on summer tires all year round where you are located? Shouldn't use those below 40F or so.

Some people reported using AS tires with slightly different sizes (I think 265 width), way better tread wear ratings on those. Also Michelin should be making Pilot Sport A/S4s in the correct size by now (still can't find them though, only the correct rear size).

Still stupidly expensive though...

Last edited:
My Merc AMG has a staggered setup, although they look cool, tires are directional in most cases and cannot be rotated unless removed from the wheels and rebalanced each time which is pretty lame. This leads to much faster uneven wearing of tires not to mention usually very high prices for the wider ones in the back. Not sure how critical diameter is on the AWD system of a Tesla but it was imperative they be exactly the same on the Mercedes or damage will occur to the driveline. I would put on new rear wheels and go with the front size all around. I will never go back to a staggered setup.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I was at a tire shop this week - and getting a consult about what to do w my next set of tires for the staggered MYP rims, and it was explained that as long as the overall diameter of the tire stays the same - you should be good to go.
Correct--do a search on these boards and you will find a long discussion of the new Michelin A/S ultra high performance tires being run on the OEM MYP wheels. Think most are running 265 in front, although I think some discussed a 265 square set up (all four tires same size) as well on the OEM MYP wheels. Lots of good info here if you look--suggest you move to the A/S if you plan to run them year-round and you experience cold temps and/or snow. Picked up my MYP a month ago and living in Kansas City I plan to run the stock tires into the Fall, and then replace with the A/S setup.

I have friends that bought the LR AWD 19" Apollo wheels/tires and even TMPS/Aero Caps from folks, one buddy, for less than $2K (and they had less than 200 miles on them). One buddy painted his black and the other left the silver and even runs the Aero Caps. He calls it his "Sleeper P". He got more range, better ride, longer tread wear, quieter and cheaper to replace. Now they are trying to sell their 21" wheel/tires.

That sounds like a WIN-WIN.