Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Y (Sept 2022) - build quality and issues on delivery and after

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but Tesla owners (who post on forums like this) are notoriously fussy. We've now owned 4 Teslas and none of them had any major issues. Panel gaps on our 2018 MX and early 2021 M3 were a bit dubious on close inspection, but our 2 current 2022 Model Ys are faultless.

I believe Tesla build quality today is on a par with most other major manufacturers and there is still no other EV I would prefer to own overall. To be honest I would quite like a change at this point, but I still think Tesla are the EV benchmark in their class.

The real "tired story" today is the cliche of poor Tesla build quality.
There is real-world data to back up the poor quality of Tesla. So if you think it’s anything other than factual, I’m not sure what to tell you.

I guess as long as you “feel” they are as good as any other manufacturer, they must be?

There is real-world data to back up the poor quality of Tesla. So if you think it’s anything other than factual, I’m not sure what to tell you.

I guess as long as you “feel” they are as good as any other manufacturer, they must be?
As I've said I've owned 4 Teslas so I don't need to validate my experiences with "real-world data" at this point. You don't need to tell me anything. I can see you have a downer on Tesla quality (perceived or factual) so I can only suggest you move on to another marque. Or do you just enjoy moaning? Some people do for sure!

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
As I've said I've owned 4 Teslas so I don't need to validate my experiences with "real-world data" at this point. You don't need to tell me anything. I can see you have a downer on Tesla quality (perceived or factual) so I can only suggest you move on to another marque. Or do you just enjoy moaning? Some people do for sure!
I see. So your anecdotal experience is the rule. Facts don’t matter.

Tell me you vote Republican without telling me.

Reactions: cwerdna
I see. So your anecdotal experience is the rule. Facts don’t matter.

Tell me you vote Republican without telling me.
What facts are we talking about? You say current Tesla Model Y build quality is poor. I disagree based on the 2 examples I've owned. Sure it's anecdotal. Maybe you have had a bad experience you can share?

Where I think Tesla are still weak is in their PDI (or lack of). Other manufacturers with a traditional franchised dealership model rely heavily on their dealers to inspect and filter out factory build issues before handover to their customers. While Tesla pretty much just throw cars straight at the customer fresh off the line. But they do appear to be getting better. Our current Model Y LRs are both Chinese built and I can't find any faults with either. This was a big improvement from both our 2018 MX and 2021 M3.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and Bob2C
What facts are we talking about? You say current Tesla Model Y build quality is poor. I disagree based on the 2 examples I've owned. Sure it's anecdotal. Maybe you have had a bad experience you can share?

Where I think Tesla are still weak is in their PDI (or lack of). Other manufacturers with a traditional franchised dealership model rely heavily on their dealers to inspect and filter out factory build issues before handover to their customers. While Tesla pretty much just throw cars straight at the customer fresh off the line. But they do appear to be getting better. Our current Model Y LRs are both Chinese built and I can't find any faults with either. This was a big improvement from both our 2018 MX and 2021 M3.
Read any professional review of the MY build quality. Look through forum posts. Look at YouTube videos from Tesla influencers.

When you start to get into the hundreds and thousands vs. your sample size of 2…well…you see where I’m going with this.

As opposed to the type of person who just reads reviews and the opinion of internet influencers. Do you even have any personal experience? How was your new MY?
::sigh::

So professional auto publications, that employ professionals to review all manner of vehicles don’t hold any sway with you, huh?

Please, tell us your thoughts on vaccines while you’re at it.

And for the record, my 2020 MY was trash. I sold it.

::sigh::

So professional auto publications, that employ professionals to review all manner of vehicles don’t hold any sway with you, huh?

Please, tell us your thoughts on vaccines while you’re at it.

And for the record, my 2020 MY was trash. I sold it.
Recent reviews I've read of the MY are all generally positive except for the slating some of them gave the ride quality (which turned out to be a non-issue for us). But since you asked I don't have much regard for the motoring press in general. As it happens I'm an automotive professional myself - worked in high-end design and motorsport for decades. So I'm comfortable making up my own mind. I do read the reviews and forums and I find a lot of it turns out to be utter garbage in hindsight (especially when it comes to Tesla for obvious reasons)

So anyway, you sold your MY because you thought it was trash. Fair enough, but did you not read all those "pro" reviews and forums (which you seem to hold in the highest regard) before buying it in the first place? I presume you are now hanging around here on the MY forum just out of bitterness, which is what I kind of picked up on from your earlier posts. Hardly a surprise.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Zalick and glide
Recent reviews I've read of the MY are all generally positive except for the slating some of them gave the ride quality (which turned out to be a non-issue for us). But since you asked I don't have much regard for the motoring press in general. As it happens I'm an automotive professional myself - worked in high-end design and motorsport for decades. So I'm comfortable making up my own mind. I do read the reviews and forums and I find a lot of it turns out to be utter garbage in hindsight (especially when it comes to Tesla for obvious reasons)

So anyway, you sold your MY because you thought it was trash. Fair enough, but did you not read all those "pro" reviews and forums (which you seem to hold in the highest regard) before buying it in the first place? I presume you are now hanging around here on the MY forum just out of bitterness, which is what I kind of picked up on from your earlier posts. Hardly a surprise.
Yeah. Im real bitter I sold the MY I didn’t like, for a profit, and then purchased a refreshed MS for $79K. Super bitter.

The fact of the matter is; you are simply incorrect and unable to admit it. Your experience is an anomaly, and good for you, but that does not make it the rule. Tesla still has a long way to go when it comes to QC and build quality at their price point.

I hear the chinese builds are outstanding and expect the german builds to be also. Sandy Munro went over the Nio and other chinese brands with a fine tooth comb........"flawless" he said and they "just do a better job". They just have higher standards internationally. This will no doubt change when supply catches up with demand. It's just the stuff like screws missing and everything crooked that proves there is zero quality control. My MYP build 2021 was one of the better ones but still a joke. Mobile guy tried to find a rattle for months, took the whole dash apart. Finally last month I randomly adjusted one of the vents by accident and screw fell out......rattle gone. Is that a good thing? maybe, or maybe there is a part that is missing a bolt now. And yes I have found other missing bolts that were just never installed. Exactly what I expect for 100k

Reactions: Peteski
That guy is so bitter. I love my MYP. I chose it over a Plaid. Cash. Not about money. Got the car I wanted. He hates that people actually like the MY. It consumes him.
this is a Tesla forum. It attracts those who want an outlet for their complaints, and those who need to justify their Tesla love.
you're not going to find unbiased discussion here. witness "glide" v "Petski". there's no winner.
car magazines have an incentive to diss Tesla where possible, because they live on advertising, which Tesla doesn't do - east target.
so you can't listen too closely to them unless the claim can be verified.
opinions can matter, but the most important takeaway? learn to think for yourself.

No one said you were the only one.

This thread is about general build quality issues. And despite your sample size of two, they still exist. That’s all.

Keep riding hard for Tesla though, you’re doing a great job.
I don't recall saying that Tesla build quality issues don't exist so we can at least agree on that.

My point was that Tesla build quality as far as the current MY is concerned (given that this is an MY specific sub-forum) is actually reported by many to be pretty good. I added my personal experience of 2 samples (March and Sep 2022 deliveries) and I know of several other happy owners who are not having any MY issues. Now that could simply be because here in the UK they are all Chinese built and the consensus on the UK forums and Tesla club is that the Chinese build quality is a significant step forward over Fremont built cars. Our previous Teslas (MX and M3) were both Fremont builds and they did indeed have various cosmetic build quality issues (mainly inconsistent panel fits). Our current MYs have none of these issues and are easily on a par with other manufacturers. They are frankly keeping me from considering any alternative EVs at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and Zalick
"But they do appear to be getting better." In looking at our one year old (as of Sept 4 ) Model 3, it appears better than what a friend has in his 2018 version. Gaps mostly, a few other things. Not up to Audi standards, hopefully someday.