Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Y (Sept 2022) - build quality and issues on delivery and after

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a new Y about a week ago (had a 2020 M3 LR which I sold recently). Visually the car was fine at delivery so I took it home. The same day and over the next few days I found the following: I did open a service request for all of these. I'm hoping you can shed some light on these so I am better armed with info when I take it in for service.

- Alignment of car pulled left and steering wheel was off center. Happened with my 3 too and it's just poor factory alignement from Tesla. Shouldn't happen but here we are.

- Rubbing sound when steering wheel turned all the way left or right coming to a stop and braking (this includes regen braking) - during a K-turn for example. Appears to be coming from wheel area, not sure if brakes or something else.

- Brake pedal pulses/vibrates fore and aft about 75% of the time when pressing gently or hard. This happens at a stop or while driving (manually braking when regen braking is not sufficient). This is very annoying and something my 3 never experienced.

- Loud metallic rattle/banging from inside trunk hatch when going over the most minor bumps. Sounds like a metal bracket and wiring is hitting the inside of the trunk. I can somewhat replicate it when i bang on the outside of the trunk with bottom of my fist.

- No "Windows Close On Lock" button in car menu. I have the vent button on my iOS app but when pressed it says "Window Control Failed - Unsupported window command" . Firmware is 2022.23.101.1 - appears to be a factory firmware version because I can't find release notes on it. My dad got a Y on the same day and has this same firmware and missing button issue. I've chatted with the service center asking if they can push the latest public firmware version. No response yet. This is pretty bad for the Tesla delivery experience. No communication or indication that a feature presented in the Tesla Y manual is not in the menu and no notice on when it will be available.

Not my first Tesla, but this was a pretty bad experience so far.

thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and ziptbm
Picked up a new Y about a week ago (had a 2020 M3 LR which I sold recently). Visually the car was fine at delivery so I took it home. The same day and over the next few days I found the following: I did open a service request for all of these. I'm hoping you can shed some light on these so I am better armed with info when I take it in for service.

- Alignment of car pulled left and steering wheel was off center. Happened with my 3 too and it's just poor factory alignement from Tesla. Shouldn't happen but here we are.

- Rubbing sound when steering wheel turned all the way left or right coming to a stop and braking (this includes regen braking) - during a K-turn for example. Appears to be coming from wheel area, not sure if brakes or something else.

- Brake pedal pulses/vibrates fore and aft about 75% of the time when pressing gently or hard. This happens at a stop or while driving (manually braking when regen braking is not sufficient). This is very annoying and something my 3 never experienced.

- Loud metallic rattle/banging from inside trunk hatch when going over the most minor bumps. Sounds like a metal bracket and wiring is hitting the inside of the trunk. I can somewhat replicate it when i bang on the outside of the trunk with bottom of my fist.

- No "Windows Close On Lock" button in car menu. I have the vent button on my iOS app but when pressed it says "Window Control Failed - Unsupported window command" . Firmware is 2022.23.101.1 - appears to be a factory firmware version because I can't find release notes on it. My dad got a Y on the same day and has this same firmware and missing button issue. I've chatted with the service center asking if they can push the latest public firmware version. No response yet. This is pretty bad for the Tesla delivery experience. No communication or indication that a feature presented in the Tesla Y manual is not in the menu and no notice on when it will be available.

Not my first Tesla, but this was a pretty bad experience so far.

thanks!

Is this a Fremont or Austin build?

Regarding issue
“Loud metallic rattle/banging from inside trunk hatch when going over the most minor bumps. Sounds like a metal bracket and wiring is hitting the inside of the trunk. I can somewhat replicate it when i bang on the outside of the trunk with bottom of my fist.”

I had this combined with a sense of cabin pressure changing. Moderate bumps were needed though such as going over dips in the road or larger bumps. My ears would feel like they needed to be popped and I felt fatigued by driving when I normally would not. My headcfelt a bit under pressure. My car had many bad panel gaps and I was just thinking I would sell it after getting gaps fixed since it was height of used car market in January 2022.
So Tesla agreed to fix the gaps. My trunk had a few alignment issues. Got car back and it looked great. Trunk was aligned perfectly everywhere and they adjusted plastic bump stops (this might have helped with rattling as I could make it better or worse by adjusting these).
The trunk rattle went away & no more cabin preSsure issues. I kept the car rather than sell.

And if it’s a Fremont build? What’s the excuse there? That factory has been up and running for years.
Fremont has always been pushed to increase output & still is despite Austin. Fremont broke new records recently in output. Perhaps there is a quantity over quality dilemma.

However, these forums can act like an echo chamber. People very often arrive here seeking help about an issue so all we hear about mostly are problems. People with no issues tend to get their car and never think to join a car forum. So there is that to consider, we are not likely to hear the positive experiences as much.
True I know many older publications mention build quality issues but considering the cars sell very well, I wonder about those old reports of poor build quality. I have not read recent reviews of model y. Word of mouth is very powerful in this day of internet.

Reactions: JDEWD250
Fremont has always been pushed to increase output & still is despite Austin. Fremont broke new records recently in output. Perhaps there is a quantity over quality dilemma.

However, these forums can act like an echo chamber. People very often arrive here seeking help about an issue so all we hear about mostly are problems. People with no issues tend to get their car and never think to join a car forum. So there is that to consider, we are not likely to hear the positive experiences as much.
True I know many older publications mention build quality issues but considering the cars sell very well, I wonder about those old reports of poor build quality. I have not read recent reviews of model y. Word of mouth is very powerful in this day of internet.
Okay. So the excuse is Fremont still cannot meet demand so it’s okay to pump out poorly built cars.

And Austin just started up so it’s okay to pump out poorly built cars.

You would think with all the innovations in machinery and assembly, Tesla would be able to consistently provide quality builds. I guess they’re still just consistently inconsistent.

• Funny
Reactions: JDEWD250 and HotIce
My Austin build. 20 Sept Build had some issues. Car is currently at Tesla addressing the issues we had noted at pickup.

1. Inside was flawless.
2. We do have the buffeting sound people complain about, and a rattle sound when going over bumps. (our 20 Y loaner does not have this) I'm hoping/guessing the hatch bump stops need to be addressed. and it has to be realigned anyway.

3. Panel gaps were pretty good. Only had 2 doors that were not to bad but the tops stuck out father on one and the bottom on the other.
4. Passenger side door has to be Slammed and sometimes it still does not close
5. Passenger side window trim was cut and does not stay in the channel when closing the door.
6. Giant glob of silicone on the A pillar was painted over.
7. Hood had 2 dents and 3 areas that were touched up before we saw the car but were done poorly and they also had dents. (Replacing hood)
8. Drivers Side widow makes a loud clunk when going down. Sounds like its getting stuck on wiring or something else inside.
9. Touch screen is dead. Works then stops for minutes at a time.

So other than that its perfect. LOL They have come along way since the beginning but until people hold them accountable instead of saying its Just the way TESLA is nothing is going to bet better anytime soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,901
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My Austin build. 20 Sept Build had some issues. Car is currently at Tesla addressing the issues we had noted at pickup.

1. Inside was flawless.
2. We do have the buffeting sound people complain about, and a rattle sound when going over bumps. (our 20 Y loaner does not have this) I'm hoping/guessing the hatch bump stops need to be addressed. and it has to be realigned anyway.

3. Panel gaps were pretty good. Only had 2 doors that were not to bad but the tops stuck out father on one and the bottom on the other.
4. Passenger side door has to be Slammed and sometimes it still does not close
5. Passenger side window trim was cut and does not stay in the channel when closing the door.
6. Giant glob of silicone on the A pillar was painted over.
7. Hood had 2 dents and 3 areas that were touched up before we saw the car but were done poorly and they also had dents. (Replacing hood)
8. Drivers Side widow makes a loud clunk when going down. Sounds like its getting stuck on wiring or something else inside.
9. Touch screen is dead. Works then stops for minutes at a time.

So other than that its perfect. LOL They have come along way since the beginning but until people hold them accountable instead of saying its Just the way TESLA is nothing is going to bet better anytime soon.

Very sorry that you are going through this especially considering Austin factory pumps out low number of cars compared to other factories currently as they are still ramping up. I could see some issues happened during transit I suppose.

Regarding #3 bottom of door sticking out farther. This happened on my front driver door. Tesla sent car to body shop and it came back perfect. Hope you have same success. My trunk was also realigned and it stopped the buffeting and a loud snare drum like rattle when going over moderate bumps.

Regarding #4 need to slam passenger rear door. I suspect minor adjustment or even the trim issue could be cause. I suspect this can be fixed.

All issues seem fixable except not sure what they can do to fix/hide issue #6 Giant glob of silicone on a pillar.

End of quarter push
Right. Always an excuse.

Have they not had end of quarter production goals in mind before? Are the tasks that need to be performed manually that complex where the room for error is too high?

Ford easily 2x’s Tesla in any given quarter, yet they have somehow managed to figure this out.

Right. Always an excuse.

Have they not had end of quarter production goals in mind before? Are the tasks that need to be performed manually that complex where the room for error is too high?

Ford easily 2x’s Tesla in any given quarter, yet they have somehow managed to figure this out.
Anything mass produced has quality issues. My Chevy Tahoe was horrible. Dust in paint, panels not properly aligned, steering wheel off center, etc. GM has been building car for decades.. Don't even get me started on their engine issues.. ugh

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: JDEWD250 and glide
Anything mass produced has quality issues. My Chevy Tahoe was horrible. Dust in paint, panels not properly aligned, steering wheel off center, etc. GM has been building car for decades.. Don't even get me started on their engine issues.. ugh
No manufacturer has close to the ratio of vehicles produced to issues reported as Tesla.

Please stop making excuses for their poor build quality. After almost 10 years in business, it is a really tired story.

Happy to report everything was addressed and fixed except the a pillar glob of silicone. They were going to repaint it, but then again they have to blend 18 inches they said, so I elected to have it touched up instead of sanded and painted. It’s going to be wrapped in black vinyl anyway but as far as all the panel gaps. Etc. they fixed everything the way it should’ve arrived.

End of quarter push
I think it's bigger than that. I've seen an enormous number of new Model Y running about. I think once supply-chain problems eased they may have been going all-out to work through the order backlog. We'd been waiting since January and got a September production from Freemont. Fortunately other than some weird adhesive residue on one of the headrests, we haven't discovered any defects.

No manufacturer has close to the ratio of vehicles produced to issues reported as Tesla.

Please stop making excuses for their poor build quality. After almost 10 years in business, it is a really tired story.
True, but Tesla owners (who post on forums like this) are notoriously fussy. We've now owned 4 Teslas and none of them had any major issues. Panel gaps on our 2018 MX and early 2021 M3 were a bit dubious on close inspection, but our 2 current 2022 Model Ys are faultless.

I believe Tesla build quality today is on a par with most other major manufacturers and there is still no other EV I would prefer to own overall. To be honest I would quite like a change at this point, but I still think Tesla are the EV benchmark in their class.

The real "tired story" today is the cliche of poor Tesla build quality.

I think it's bigger than that. I've seen an enormous number of new Model Y running about. I think once supply-chain problems eased they may have been going all-out to work through the order backlog. We'd been waiting since January and got a September production from Freemont. Fortunately other than some weird adhesive residue on one of the headrests, we haven't discovered any defects.
There is only 1 E in Fremont

Reactions: cwerdna