Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Yokohama YK740 GT’s on my 19” wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve driven about 1000 miles on these tires after picking them up from AmericasTire. I was on the original Continentals for 61k miles, and they weren’t even bald.
I can’t decide if I like these tires or not? The ride is smooth and quiet but im seeing some really weird kw/h usage. Even after the supposed break-in period, if I don’t drive really gingerly under 80mph on the freeway, I’m getting like 340-400kw/h avg. when I’m on city driving, I’m around 240-280kw/h. These tires seem very similar to the avid Ascend GT’s. Are these good tires and should I keep them or should I be looking at something else for all-seasons? I still have a week before I can exchange them within the 30 day period.

Update: After driving on the YK740's for 3.5 weeks, I made the decision to go back to the stock Continental ProContactRX. I drove around 1500 miles on the tires with barely any wear, but I came to the conclusion that the tire was way to soft and eating into my Kw/h efficiency. I explained to the guys at DiscountTires in Oceanside/Vista about the efficiency issue I observed even though I went beyond the break-in period. True to their policy, I was able to change out my tires for the Conti's and pay for the difference of the tires (Continentals RX's were $228 a piece).

Although it is a noticeably stiffer ride, my kw/h efficiency is back down to 220-250kw/h compared to 280-300kw/h avg in mixed city/hwy driving. The YK740's are much like the Avid Ascend GT's, with the GT's main difference being some kind of BluEarth manufacturing? The Continentals are 21.6 lbs per tire whereas the Yokohama's being 26lbs each. While I think the Yokohama's had an excellent plush ride and a nice look to it, I discourage anyone from getting it for an EV. For ICE cars I think it is a superb tire.