Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York City | Manhattan Resident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there are no free Tesla Superchargers in NYC but at JFK, I have to go to Tarrytown, NY or Paramus, NJ to charge. Since I only use the car on weekends, it's workable.

My ask: Tarrytown is 20 miles away - Paramus, NJ is 15 miles away - can I recharge to 100% and then drive 20 miles (or 15 miles) back home? Does that constitute a "Trip"?

Thanks in advance!

My ask: Tarrytown is 20 miles away - Paramus, NJ is 15 miles away - can I recharge to 100% and then drive 20 miles (or 15 miles) back home? Does that constitute a "Trip"?
In this context, that word "Trip" doesn't really have any kind of concrete effect. No one from Tesla analyzes whether something counts as a trip and is going to send you an angry letter or anything. So this isn't a yes or no situation; it's just whatever you're comfortable doing. They put that in there as a guideline of what is generally better healthier use for your battery: use the midrange most of the time and the high end less often. That's about it.

So I would just say that the goal might be that when you drive there and charge up and then get home to let the car sit for several more days, it would probably be a good idea to have that sitting level about 90% or less. You'll kind of figure that out as you do it a time or two how far up you charge that would get home with around 90.

In this context, that word "Trip" doesn't really have any kind of concrete effect. No one from Tesla analyzes whether something counts as a trip and is going to send you an angry letter or anything. So this isn't a yes or no situation; it's just whatever you're comfortable doing. They put that in there as a guideline of what is generally better healthier use for your battery: use the midrange most of the time and the high end less often. That's about it.

So I would just say that the goal might be that when you drive there and charge up and then get home to let the car sit for several more days, it would probably be a good idea to have that sitting level about 90% or less. You'll kind of figure that out as you do it a time or two how far up you charge that would get home with around 90.

Sounds reasonable - logical - and just makes sense!
Much appreciated!

@GaryBowler I agree with Rocky. If you charge to 100% then only drive 20 miles, your car will be sitting overnight with a battery charge greater than 90%. This isn't healthy for the battery. It would be better to charge to 90% and arrive home with about 82%.
Are you in an apartment or condo with no outdoor charging option? Slow charging at home is healthier for the battery than constant supercharging.

Hi @GaryBowler

I too am a Manhattan resident and have kind of agonized over this charging issue since June 2012 when I purchased a Chevy Volt and tried my hardest to drive on electrons rather than gas. I will tell you it has become MUCH MUCH easier since then to be All-EV in Manhattan over the course of the past 6 years. Particularly a Tesla b/c of the Destination Charger program.

Most importantly let me point you to the "urban" SCer in Williamsburg at the William Vale hotel. Technically it is not free -- Teslas pay $5 for an hour of parking -- but IMNSHO it is the Best Value SCer in the NYC metro area. I live Columbus Circle so Williamsburg is not too far away from me and b/c the SCer is in a lively neighborhood you can get a bite to eat or even a cocktail while your car replenishes electrons.

technically JFK SCer is the closest and freeest of the NYC metro area SCers -- what with Peramus and the rest requiring a hefty toll to return to Manhattan. but the trek to and from JFK can be soul crushing so this is not really viable for people living in Manhattan.

I would also urge you to look at the Destination Charger map. There are Destination Chargers everywhere. I count 6 within a 3 block radius of my building and 10 within a 6 block radius of my building. but again -- depending on where you are located in the city, YMMV.

finally, you should look into a service like DropCar.com which is what I use in lieu of a monthly spot at a garage. I wholeheartedly recommend them.

Their "storage" rate -- which would suit someone like you who only drives on weekends -- is currently at $379/month (up from $320 a few months ago) and includes 12 ins and outs each month. They have a few garages in and around the outer boroughs but for the past month or so all the Teslas were being parked at the N 7th Street garage in Williamsburg -- a few blocks from the William Vale where the SCer is. The N 7th Street Garage has 2 Destination Chargers and a smaller Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE and DropCar offers free charging for Teslas and a whole bunch of other (paid) services, like car washes (and Oil Changes for ICE cars.)

Depending on availability of Valets they can pick up your car in as little as 15 minutes lead time, but it can sometimes take up to an hour, so it is always better to schedule it in advance. Return from Williamsburg to most parts of manhattan takes 45 minutes or less and again is better to schedule in advance. They have an App that works really well and they have $5 Million in liability insurance and will pay for any damage done to the vehicle while it is in their custody. (I can attest to this form personal experience unfortunately.)

They also have a "commuter rate" for $500/month that includes 20 ins and outs a month. which is what I generally use unless I am travelling for a few weeks in which case I will drop to the "storage" rate. It has allowed me to replace 2 garages in Manhattan for (really less than) the price of one. The going rate for a monthly spot in my neighborhood is $700/month but again depending on where you live, YMMV. While the DropCar service is not perfect, it works very well and i consider it a godsend.

Hi @GaryBowler

I too am a Manhattan resident and have kind of agonized over this charging issue since June 2012 when I purchased a Chevy Volt and tried my hardest to drive on electrons rather than gas. I will tell you it has become MUCH MUCH easier since then to be All-EV in Manhattan over the course of the past 6 years. Particularly a Tesla b/c of the Destination Charger program.

Most importantly let me point you to the "urban" SCer in Williamsburg at the William Vale hotel. Technically it is not free -- Teslas pay $5 for an hour of parking -- but IMNSHO it is the Best Value SCer in the NYC metro area. I live Columbus Circle so Williamsburg is not too far away from me and b/c the SCer is in a lively neighborhood you can get a bite to eat or even a cocktail while your car replenishes electrons.
and then drive? very smart of you

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Hi @GaryBowler
and then drive? very smart of you

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
you're allowed to use a supercharger for however you please except commercial purposes like being an uber driver (but even that is hard to track and enforce)

Plenty of city/apartment dwellers use superchargers as their main source of charging.