Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York City to Boston, driving fast, NO PROBLEM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,

I've now just done my SECOND round trip to/from NYC to Boston. I park on Manhattan (Hell's Kitchen) and I drive to Harvard Uni (Cambridge). Each leg is 232 miles. I drive fast (75-82 MPH), and I like it comfortable (24 C cabin temp), and I like my music/news (streaming in radio the whole way). And, my iPhone is always plugged into the USB (i know these affect nothing, but just worth noting for headline purposes).

This last trip consumed 74.8 kWh, well within the 85 kWh battery capacity (even within the usable ~81+ kWh). Just FYI :) Car is AWESOME. Literally. Such a great experience.

(Yes, I know there is a supercharger mid-way, at the infamous Milford rest stop, and I know it's easier on the battery to top-up midway, which I'll do from on. I just wanted to play and see what she can really do.)

Cheers,

Mark

PS--clearly however, you'll need to do a 100% range charge prior to starting this journey

Last edited:
I've now just done my SECOND round trip to/from NYC to Boston. I park on Manhattan (Hell's Kitchen) and I drive to Harvard Uni (Cambridge). Round trip is 232 miles. I drive fast (75-82 MPH), and I like it comfortable (24 C cabin temp), and I like my music/news (streaming in radio the whole way). And, my iPhone is always plugged into the USB (i know these affect nothing, but just worth noting for headline purposes).

This last trip consumed 74.8 kWh, well within the 85 kWh battery capacity (even within the usable ~81+ kWh). Just FYI :) Car is AWESOME. Literally. Such a great experience.

(Yes, I know there is a supercharger mid-way, at the infamous Milford rest stop, and I know it's easier on the battery to top-up midway, which I'll do from on. I just wanted to play and see what she can really do.)

Cheers,

Mark

PS--clearly however, you'll need to do a 100% range charge prior to starting this journey

Great to know, thanks! Do you/do folks recommend getting a range charge even if planning a stop at Milford? We'll be going from DC to Boston later this year, probably stopping in NYC. 150-some miles for Milford-to-Boston is obviously well within my 85 battery, but I'm curious what people do. Maybe it's good as a safety net, or maybe I'm overthinking this. Milford-to-NYC is the longest leg of that (if we use both superchargers)--not long enough to need a range charge, but I guess in case there's any problem...?

My basic rule is: as long as I'm going to consume the extra range charge more-or-less immediately, I'll do it. The damage comes from range charging the battery and then leaving it in that state for a long time

Great to know, thanks! Do you/do folks recommend getting a range charge even if planning a stop at Milford? We'll be going from DC to Boston later this year, probably stopping in NYC. 150-some miles for Milford-to-Boston is obviously well within my 85 battery, but I'm curious what people do. Maybe it's good as a safety net, or maybe I'm overthinking this. Milford-to-NYC is the longest leg of that (if we use both superchargers)--not long enough to need a range charge, but I guess in case there's any problem...?

Greg, I'm indeed staying at the Charles Hotel. They have 3 parking spaces reserved for EVs, and free charging (J1772, 30A). I just met another Tesla here :) Their license plate reads SILENT :)

Seegem -- what hotels do you use in Cambridge/Boston? I'm anticipating a trip up to MIT this summer, and would like to have a hotel where I know I'll be able to recharge.

Seegem -- what hotels do you use in Cambridge/Boston? I'm anticipating a trip up to MIT this summer, and would like to have a hotel where I know I'll be able to recharge.
As a backup, another option is the Marlowe in Cambridge. It's about as far from MIT as the Charles. We stay there often and like that it's a dog-friendly place.
The Marlowe uses the parking structure for the Cambridgeside Mall and I know there are Chargepoint J1772s near the entrance/exit. I've also seen a Tesla or two plugged in.

Agree with Seegem on using the extra charge immediately. You definitely DO NOT need to range charge if your going to stop at Milford and charge before you leave.

Yes definitely 1 way. The hotels I use here (in Boston) all have a 30A J1772 (free for guests), so the car is full by morning
Interesting to me.
When in Palo Alto a couple of weeks ago, I stayed at the Creekside Inn on El Camino Real. Outside the reception there was a J plug charger. Never seen one in Illinois at a hotel. (I live a sheltered world. Sorry, bad pun.)
I commented on how great it was to see an EVSE. Front desk staff told me that they were the only "hotel" to have a charger in Palo Alto. Given that that ares is a micro climate of Teslas, Leafs, etc. I would have expected more.

Yet in Boston they are everywhere?

No range charge is needed. I've been from NYC (Tesla Store) to Metrowest MA - 198 miles - and had no problem without a range charge and without stopping at Milford. Only issue is if conditions are really poor - less than 20f, strong winds, snow - in which case you should either range charge or top off at Milford.

Milford-to-NYC is not the longest leg. I also ran from Milford to Wilmington without a range charge and landed with 5 miles, and i drive like Seegem (although i like at 67f).

Since it's thawed out a bit up here, been running under 300 wh, where i had been running over 350 in the winter - looking forward to spring and summer in my MS.