Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Hilton without any charging for cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard time believing it true but going there today for probably last time. We all need to patronize hotels that cater to us and let management know as well. I understand hotels in areas without significant tesla traffic but New York City?

Excellent suggestion. We should also always only use airlines that provide excellent customer service and get people where they are going on-time and with their bags. ;-)

When you find the hotel with the charging you need call the original hotel that wouldn't help you out and let manager know that you would have preferred to stay there but had to stay at this other place because of the charging so that is a X night stay they missed out on. You would greatly prefer to stay there and pay for your charging but require that for the future.

I was disappointed by NYC charging in hotels. The place I used had a single wall plug (they said) but they had to run a 100 foot or maybe even 200 ft cord, and of course the Tesla wouldn't accept the charge.

The bigger issue is what a rigamorole it tends to be to park any car in those garages when they are always moving cars around and squishing them in. I checked out the Icon options mentioned above, but they suffered from high daily rates on top of the charge cost. Throw in the fact that the charger is often in an odd spot (I prefer main floor to keep things simple), it is a real pain. All I really needed/wanted was a regular 120 plug as I was parked in the garage for a few days. Given the fact that many people that travel to NYC likely fit my profile (drive in, park for a few days and use transit/walk while there, then drive out fully charge), I think it would be great if NYC garages simply provided better access to free 120 plugs (free with the cost of daily parking).

I have stayed in NYC for over 50 days this year. About half of this was at the NYC Midtown Hilton. The couple times I took the car into the city I parked it without charging because even in cases of garages that provide "free" charging once you pay their crazy rates, the chargers are often blocked in by the mess of cars that results from valet-only parking. The only decent garage I found in NYC was on the west side around 59th and 10th. It actaully has a 2-spot self-park "Juice Bar". My suggestion is to try for that and just cab it or walk it back (15 minutes). The rates are pretty decent also. Roosevelt Hospital Garage - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

I was disappointed by NYC charging in hotels. The place I used had a single wall plug (they said) but they had to run a 100 foot or maybe even 200 ft cord, and of course the Tesla wouldn't accept the charge.

The bigger issue is what a rigamorole it tends to be to park any car in those garages when they are always moving cars around and squishing them in. I checked out the Icon options mentioned above, but they suffered from high daily rates on top of the charge cost. Throw in the fact that the charger is often in an odd spot (I prefer main floor to keep things simple), it is a real pain. All I really needed/wanted was a regular 120 plug as I was parked in the garage for a few days. Given the fact that many people that travel to NYC likely fit my profile (drive in, park for a few days and use transit/walk while there, then drive out fully charge), I think it would be great if NYC garages simply provided better access to free 120 plugs (free with the cost of daily parking).
you do realize that in midtown manhattan real estate can be quite expensive in addition manhattan is not very car friendly.

you do realize that in midtown manhattan real estate can be quite expensive in addition manhattan is not very car friendly.

I sure do know that! I've been doing all kinds of different work in NYC for years (but this trip was actually with my family) and I've driven to NYC many times pre-Tesla. I knew it would be wacky...and it was! For me, this unpredictability is part of the fun of doing electric car road trips in these very early days of charging infrastructure.