Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Legalities of Installing Charger at Rental property

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some experience with legalities of installing a charging atation at a rental property (I am selling my house and renting for a few years).

I assume the landlord still has ultimate say if I can install one even if I use a certified electrician? The property is managed by out of state company so I worry they will not have any compassion for the living scenario.

It sounds like you haven’t moved yet, so I’d get it in writing that you will be allowed to install a charging station when you sign your lease. Don’t rent from someone that won’t put it in writing that they will allow you to add a charging station with some reasonable restrictions placed on the installation.

Be ready for them to have you pay for all expenses related to the installation. In the case of a rental, it may be easier to install an outlet instead of hardwiring a charging station. By doing that, you aren’t in an ambiguous state on if you can take the EVSE with you when you move out.

Upvote 0