Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this correct? I was assuming that the price of the vehicle will be the same, and I would just get that $2000 back as a state tax return when I do my taxes next year. Isn't that how the federal incentive works?
Two different things.

NYS offers a REBATE, which is at point-of-sale. Basically, you get $2,000 down-payment assistance.

Fed offers a CREDIT, which is dependent upon your total Federal tax liability for 2018. You receive that money back, or just don't pay it, at tax time in April 2019.

Two different things.

NYS offers a REBATE, which is at point-of-sale. Basically, you get $2,000 down-payment assistance.

Fed offers a CREDIT, which is dependent upon your total Federal tax liability for 2018. You receive that money back, or just don't pay it, at tax time in April 2019.
The Fed Credit is only good up to your tax liability which is currently $7500. If you only owe say $4000 you won't have to pay any Federal tax but you won't get the remaining $3500 as a refund.

Is this correct? I was assuming that the price of the vehicle will be the same, and I would just get that $2000 back as a state tax return when I do my taxes next year. Isn't that how the federal incentive works?
That is how the Federal Credit works. The NYS rebate is deducted from the cost of the car. Much better this way as you don't have to wait a year to recognize the credit!

• Informative
Reactions: Asad1087
It's definitely $2,000 for the Model 3. I wouldn't be surprised if that part of the configurator was copied from the Model S or X configurator and somebody forgot to update that part. Either that or they just keyed the lookup table wrong. But I'll know for sure in a couple days when I get my final paperwork and will post it here.

Hi S3XY, I see on another thread that you've taken delivery (congratulations!). Can you confirm that you received the $2000 rebate (even after it showed only $500 on the website?)

FYI I believe that the NYS rebate is deducted AFTER SALES TAX, thereby NYS is effectively reducing the rebate by the sales tax amount. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Its more creative accounting so NYS can claim that give a $2k credit when it really less than that.

I also intend to pick up in Mt. Kisco so would also like to hear of S3XY's experience!

Before tax. See invoice. Untitled1_001.jpg

• Informative
Before tax. See invoice.View attachment 296600
Wow, excellent! I'm pleasantly surprised.

So.. the reason I expected this rebate post-tax derives from Consumer FAQ - NYSERDA

Question #13:
Is the rebate taxed?
The Drive Clean Rebate is subject to NYS sales tax. Currently, there is a bill in the NYS Senate that may provide an electric car sales tax exemption. Please consult your tax professional for guidance.

But your experience is contrary.

Wow, excellent! I'm pleasantly surprised.

So.. the reason I expected this rebate post-tax derives from Consumer FAQ - NYSERDA

Question #13:
Is the rebate taxed?
The Drive Clean Rebate is subject to NYS sales tax. Currently, there is a bill in the NYS Senate that may provide an electric car sales tax exemption. Please consult your tax professional for guidance.

But your experience is contrary.
I called NYSERDA and the confirmed two things:

1) Customers get the full value of the rebate, it is before tax.
2) The "sales tax" reference on the website is for Dealers, not consumers.

• Informative
Just planning ahead.... Is the 60k MSRP cutoff based on the barebone base model (35k in the case of the model 3)? Or MSRP based on cost of car INCLUDING cost of options BEFORE doc/transport fee?

Thanks!

Doubtful. It is based on the price of the car. They wouldn’t let a loophole exist since the base trim is $35k. Any price over $60k gets reduced.
I see a few ways it could go:

1) Base price is truly the method, and all model 3s get the full 2,000.

2) If you option above 60k is any fashion, its drops to 500.

3) The way performance includes all the other options, they consider that to be a new base of 78k for that model only, and only it drops to 500.

While I won't believe to know the answer until P and AWD deliveries in NY begin, my money stays on 1 as the system seems to be a lookup where if model equals model 3, rebate equals 2,000. I think 3 is probably closest to the intention, so it wouldn't surprise me either, but not something I'd expect NY to figure out in any reasonable timeframe.

That said, while I think scenario 2 is the least likely, it's also the only one would that would really matter as far as doing anything about it - whether wheel selection to make right at the 60k mark, or even a game like, but EAP after delivery, spend an extra 1k+tax, but save 1.5k+tax.

My total cash price was $60,286.88. I got full $2,000 off for NYS Rebate.

Side note, kinda off topic but my car came in a week early and I will be taking delivery Thursday morning. :D
When you say total cash price, where does that number come from? Just an odd amount, and I thought that pre-AWD the "every option" price was 59,500, so just wondering if I'm missing something, or thinking of a different line and that includes destination charges?

When the NYS EV rebate first went live, I asked NYSERDA specifically about the 60k limit. They said that it was based on the vehicle base MSRP and that even if options take the total MSRP well above 60k, vehicle would still be eligible for full $2k rebate. Now, if Tesla sells the P as a separate model with an $87k base msrp, as opposed to a $35k model with a P "option" that might make a difference...

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift