Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Times: A Car Dealers Won’t Sell: It’s Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Five years after the first modern mass-market electric car launched, stories of recalcitrant car dealers continue to surface from buyers.

Walk into a dealership, explain that you want to buy an electric car ... and then endure a litany of reasons why you don't.

But a meticulously documented, amusing written log of all the misery involved in discussions with a particularly unhelpful Nissan dealer focuses new light on the problem.

How Bad Was Nissan Dealer When Buyer Wanted A Leaf Electric Car? THAT Bad

"NADA data shows the average dealership’s net profit at around $40,000 from new vehicle sales and $120,000 from used vehicle sales, so the $350,000 that comes from parts and service looms particularly large."

The Fuse | Why Car Dealerships Struggle With Selling Electric Vehicles
My brother in Florida and I in Maryland bought leafs las year. All dealers visited were misinformed about the leafs ( 6 dealerships visited). Examples included they couldn't demonstrate the fast charger, options on cars and one even told us we could use tesla superchargers on the cars.

My daughters car was totaled and went for a 2016 volt. What a difference. All dealers visited were very knowledgable about details, options, screens on the dash etc. I went into the gm dealerships trying not to hold my nose but they are enthusiastic about selling them. I think the reluctance to sell and educate the sales force on electric is dependent on manufacturer.

My brother in Florida and I in Maryland bought leafs las year. All dealers visited were misinformed about the leafs ( 6 dealerships visited). Examples included they couldn't demonstrate the fast charger, options on cars and one even told us we could use tesla superchargers on the cars.

My daughters car was totaled and went for a 2016 volt. What a difference. All dealers visited were very knowledgable about details, options, screens on the dash etc. I went into the gm dealerships trying not to hold my nose but they are enthusiastic about selling them. I think the reluctance to sell and educate the sales force on electric is dependent on manufacturer.
No, it's entirely dependent on the dealer. Your study has too small of a sample size to draw this conclusion. Others have experienced the opposite.

Dealers have always been enthusiastic about selling hybrids, they are more maintenance than a traditional ICE. No surprise the ones selling the Volt wanted to do so while the ones selling the Leaf had no interest.

A Third Of This Dealer's Sales Are Chevy Volt Electric Cars: How'd They Do It?

Can any other franchised dealer in the world make the claim that full one-third of its sales are a single model of plug-in electric car?

Bourgeois Chevrolet of Rawdon, Quebec, achieved that remarkable level in its sales this year of the Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car.

<snip>

Last year, having invested the time to train its entire staff to sell the Volt, the dealership saw the plug-in grow to represent fully 14 percent of its sales.

The range-extended electric Volt and the battery-electric Chevy Spark EV are the only cars shown on the main page of the dealer's website, in fact.

And its salespeople reached that number despite co-owner Samuel Jeanson's continuing struggle to secure inventory--along with his off-the-cuff estimate that it took salespeople about five times longer to sell a Volt than a regular vehicle.

(This can be viewed as a positive development, actually. It means that Quebec's Volt buyers are no longer highly-informed "early adopters," but are now part of the much, much larger "early majority" market of consumers.)

Unable to secure enough new Volts from GM, this year Bourgeois Chevrolet began importing used ones from the United States.

Lots of them.

Enough, in fact, to keep about 50 Volts of various colors and configurations on the lot at any given time--which is how the Chevy Volt has come to represent a full 35 percent of the dealership's year-to-date sales.

Because that 35-percent figure includes cheaper used vehicles, it might not be reachable if looking solely at new-car sales. But we may never be able to test that thesis, given the difficulty the dealership has had getting and keeping new Volts in stock.

<snip>
Full article at:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...-are-chevy-volt-electric-cars-howd-they-do-it

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...dealership-awards-honor-sales-success-stories

I am long in tesla for years and own roadster and model s. The Chevy dealers I visited on multiple occasions (three separate dealerships) had only a single other shopper there (was trying to buy a pickup with loan at 20 percent interest). The stock of volts were completely sold out with my salesman claiming he himself has sold seven cars site unseen by the customers since they are waiting for deliveries. I think thy will do well with the car. Of course end of year with tax credit maybe increasing sales. I am not worried about model 3. I suspect bolt will not be large seller with larger range but lower price they will need to skimp elsewhere. The volt self parks, has lane departure correction and cross traffic pickup from the rear when backing up. I am not surprised by your post

Was a fan of the leaf and had gotten a 2013 hoping to upgrade the battery (the car was destroyed when t boned ). Unfortunately Nissan made sure not to make the newer battery compatible with the older cars even though the base 2016 is still compatible with the older batteries. The 2016 doesn't offer as much tech as the volt and doesn't feel as substantial in the ride as the volt. The volts 53 mile range on electric is less But at that range, can drive 19000 miles a year full electric. It gets over 40 miles a gallon when using gas, so you can still feel good about it and not ever worry about range anxiety again. Unless Nissan does more the volt will clean their clock

Sigh.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450657792.483020.jpg

Maryland where you have no dealor stock left of the volt and no discount. Look at DAR Nissan in Rockville MD. 5 leaf cars with discounts of over 6000 dollars listed. Of course you may even negotiate a further discount
I would bet that all of those are 2015's.
My local dealer has two 2015 models (both with 8-10K discounts) and no 2016's at all. Obviously desperate to get rid of the old ones before they let the 2016s out.