Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Times Article - Electric Autos Outpace Plugs - Sparks Fly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On October 11, 2015, reporter Matt Richtel had a front page article in the NY Times regarding Electric Vehicles and the overcrowing at insufficent charging locations. The location line is San Francisco, and various bad habits, altercations, keyings and general poor manners are recounted by Mr. Richtel. It seems that all too many EVs and all too few EV chargers are causing drivers to become rude.

ICEing is also discussed where gasoline cars are taking up EV charging spots for standard parking places. The article states that in California, where the vast majority of EVs are located, the charging infrastructure has not kept pace with demand.

Sadly, the story describes a class war at charging stations where Teslas are being keyed by non-Tesla EV owners if the Tesla is parked at a non-Tesla charging station.

The take away here for Tesla owners is to be courteous when using other than super chargers and to not leave your car in a charger parking spot.

Last edited:
This is yet another antiTesla NY Times article thinly veiled as news. Why the animosity persists is odd. They are trying to make EV driving perilous. Unfortunately much as shootings are contagious, other types of (bad) behavior are contageous. I think that they are looking for more negatives to report surrounding Tesla.

Is the NY Times run by deniers of Anthropormorphic Climate Change? If they are trying to improve the number of plugs, this is not the way. How do they know who might have keyed a Tesla or other EV?

My read of the article left me wondering "how much do these anecdotes represent the broad picture, versus the cherry-picking of cases to make for a printable story?" Nothing of what was in that article gibes with my own 22,000 miles of Model S driving and public charging - what about the experiences of others in this forum?

My read of the article left me wondering "how much do these anecdotes represent the broad picture, versus the cherry-picking of cases to make for a printable story?" Nothing of what was in that article gibes with my own 22,000 miles of Model S driving and public charging - what about the experiences of others in this forum?

This story is all anecdote and with no worthwhile facts to prove the point. Anecdotal reporting of this kind is a favorite of the media today and it's largely garbage.

It reminds me of the national TV coverage of the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. We lived there then and, while the damage was extensive in several areas of the Bay Area, most of the region was untouched. But, I had several relatives and friends calling me asking if we were ok because all they saw was the couple of major damage areas and were led to believe that it was across the entire region.

I'm approaching 80,000 EV miles over the last six years, and aside from coming across one or two RV park owners who wanted nothing to do with me or my Tesla, my public charging experiences have all been uniformly un-newsworthy.

Aside from being ICE'd several times by gas cars, I've never had an issue of any kind. Certainly not with another EV owner.

This talk of being ICEd reminds me of the funny thing a friend did just after I got my S. :)

Attachments

• iced.jpg
    iced.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 73
Aside from being ICE'd several times by gas cars, I've never had an issue of any kind. Certainly not with another EV owner.

I've had a few. A couple of times people pleaded ignorance claiming they didn't know what those "boxes with wires" were. In a couple of cases I believed them, in a couple of other cases, not so much. I had one guy get angry with me when I pointed out he was in an EV charging spot. He was going on about how he never sees anyone parked in them and "who cares" anyway. I walked away from that one before it escalated.

It's not just a California-centric thing. I parked in Detroit this past Friday afternoon and there were 8 chargers in the garage. 7 of the 8 were in use ... all by Volts. Fortunately, I was able to snag the last one. I wonder if anyone commented when they got in their car about the Model S that "didn't need a charge" taking up a spot. What they didn't know was that I had just finished a road trip and had 15 miles left. Everyone makes assumptions about the other EV that's preventing them from charging. Most of the time it's probably untrue. People are people and some of them are jerks ... whether they drive an EV or not.

I have never had a problem but I have only charged at a few places. I remember wanting to get to a full charge in a free charger in Jackson, WY, parking garage but I would have left the Tesla there longer than it needed for the charge, and I moved it away. I would like us EV owners to be curtious of who else might need a charge more than we do...

I've had a few. A couple of times people pleaded ignorance claiming they didn't know what those "boxes with wires" were. In a couple of cases I believed them, in a couple of other cases, not so much. I had one guy get angry with me when I pointed out he was in an EV charging spot. He was going on about how he never sees anyone parked in them and "who cares" anyway. I walked away from that one before it escalated.

I'll bet he said the same thing about handicapped spaces until they started towing.