TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New York Times Article - Electric Autos Outpace Plugs - Sparks Fly

Discussion in 'News' started by ArtInCT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

#1 ArtInCT, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    On October 11, 2015, reporter Matt Richtel had a front page article in the NY Times regarding Electric Vehicles and the overcrowing at insufficent charging locations. The location line is San Francisco, and various bad habits, altercations, keyings and general poor manners are recounted by Mr. Richtel. It seems that all too many EVs and all too few EV chargers are causing drivers to become rude.

ICEing is also discussed where gasoline cars are taking up EV charging spots for standard parking places. The article states that in California, where the vast majority of EVs are located, the charging infrastructure has not kept pace with demand.

Sadly, the story describes a class war at charging stations where Teslas are being keyed by non-Tesla EV owners if the Tesla is parked at a non-Tesla charging station.

The take away here for Tesla owners is to be courteous when using other than super chargers and to not leave your car in a charger parking spot.

2. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I think for many of us this is much ado about nothing. On my coast to coast trip in July and my everyday long-trip experiences finding a supercharger spot has never been a problem. But I concede this may be a factor of where one lives and travels.

4. William13

William13 Member

This is yet another antiTesla NY Times article thinly veiled as news. Why the animosity persists is odd. They are trying to make EV driving perilous. Unfortunately much as shootings are contagious, other types of (bad) behavior are contageous. I think that they are looking for more negatives to report surrounding Tesla.

Is the NY Times run by deniers of Anthropormorphic Climate Change? If they are trying to improve the number of plugs, this is not the way. How do they know who might have keyed a Tesla or other EV?

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Note that they don't actually say any cars were keyed. They only quote one woman as saying she wanted to key the Tesla. And with good reason, as it sounded like that driver was being a jerk.

6. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

My read of the article left me wondering "how much do these anecdotes represent the broad picture, versus the cherry-picking of cases to make for a printable story?" Nothing of what was in that article gibes with my own 22,000 miles of Model S driving and public charging - what about the experiences of others in this forum?

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Aside from being ICE'd several times by gas cars, I've never had an issue of any kind. Certainly not with another EV owner.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

And jerks aren't exclusive to EVs, they're just noticed more when driving an EV, and especially if it's a Tesla.

10. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I like the comment from below the article from my friend Jeremy, who said something like....

"Last time I checked, there wasn't any congestion at my garage charging station"...

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

This story is all anecdote and with no worthwhile facts to prove the point. Anecdotal reporting of this kind is a favorite of the media today and it's largely garbage.

12. Phil Seastrand

It reminds me of the national TV coverage of the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. We lived there then and, while the damage was extensive in several areas of the Bay Area, most of the region was untouched. But, I had several relatives and friends calling me asking if we were ok because all they saw was the couple of major damage areas and were led to believe that it was across the entire region.

13. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I'm approaching 80,000 EV miles over the last six years, and aside from coming across one or two RV park owners who wanted nothing to do with me or my Tesla, my public charging experiences have all been uniformly un-newsworthy.

14. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

This talk of being ICEd reminds me of the funny thing a friend did just after I got my S. :)

Attached Files:

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I've had a few. A couple of times people pleaded ignorance claiming they didn't know what those "boxes with wires" were. In a couple of cases I believed them, in a couple of other cases, not so much. I had one guy get angry with me when I pointed out he was in an EV charging spot. He was going on about how he never sees anyone parked in them and "who cares" anyway. I walked away from that one before it escalated.

16. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

California has a disproportionate number of EV's on the road compared to the other states. I suspect that the stress on the charging infrastructure there is perhaps more acute. The article is very California centric.

17. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

It's not just a California-centric thing. I parked in Detroit this past Friday afternoon and there were 8 chargers in the garage. 7 of the 8 were in use ... all by Volts. Fortunately, I was able to snag the last one. I wonder if anyone commented when they got in their car about the Model S that "didn't need a charge" taking up a spot. What they didn't know was that I had just finished a road trip and had 15 miles left. Everyone makes assumptions about the other EV that's preventing them from charging. Most of the time it's probably untrue. People are people and some of them are jerks ... whether they drive an EV or not.

18. MSEV

MSEV Member

I have never had a problem but I have only charged at a few places. I remember wanting to get to a full charge in a free charger in Jackson, WY, parking garage but I would have left the Tesla there longer than it needed for the charge, and I moved it away. I would like us EV owners to be curtious of who else might need a charge more than we do...

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'll bet he said the same thing about handicapped spaces until they started towing.