Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Times Autopilot/FSD synopsis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether you agree or disagree, this NY Times synopsis of Tesla Autopilot/FSD is historical, not an opinion piece. It may be old turf for some Tesla buffs but I found it enlightening. It disavows my suspicion that Tesla dropped radar contemporaneous with the chip shortage or to economize. Musk advocated for all camera Tesla-vision years ago according to NYT. This gets to the heart of the AP/FSD controversy IMO. I found the article/podcast interesting so am passing it along.

It's interesting both from the perspective of giving the background on vision only, and also a good look inside the engineering monoculture and vision driven by Elon. Visionaries often refuse to bend to current limitations and accept anything less than perfection. They push the envelope of what's possible and do some fantastic innovations as a result. When you're playing with peoples lives behind the wheel of FSD vehicles however, it does make you think a bit....