Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Times - Wroing again

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Yeah, I've seen other media outlets get that a bit "wrong" too. Autopilot, as a feature, does cost $2,500 to enable but, most of us have already paid for it when purchasing the car while some held off in doing so; the latter group can contact Tesla and activate the feature. Not too different from Supercharging enablement for 60 kWh cars in the past.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Autopilot is not free (the download costs $2,500), and...

Well, the hardware is standard, and you pay $2,500 to enable the hardware, which is done by software, which you download... "True, but misleading" as CNN would put it.

brucet999

Mar 12, 2015
Huntington Beach, CA
In todays NYT Arron Kessler has a generally very positive piece on Autopilot that states that the update costs $2500. I have no idea where this came from and there's no way I found to let him know it's wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/a...-autonomous-driving-to-its-bag-of-tricks.html

Actually the update to Autopilot costs $3,000 for a car equipped with the sensors. He got $2500 from the cost to include Autopilot when ordering the car.

This free version 7.0 update is just finally delivering on many of the promised features.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC