TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Yorker article - "Plugged In"

Discussion in 'News' started by doug, Aug 20, 2009.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    I read about this article a couple days ago but didn't want to pay the 5 bucks to actually read it. However I have found Tesla is providing it online in PDF form here.

Summary of the article here: Elon Musk and electric cars : The New Yorker
    The article's author, Tad Friend, talks about his piece here: Tad Friend: It’s Electric!: News Desk : The New Yorker
    Slate discusses it here: The New Yorker Parachutes into Electric Car Country | The Big Money
    It's all very meta...

[​IMG]

Again PDF of the original article as it appears in the magazine here.

2. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Did Slate read a different article than me? I didn't see anything snarky or meanspirited in there. It was an article that was very complimentary of Tesla (and Elon) and what it's (he's) done so far, but that there are many challenges ahead, and building a sustainable mass-producing car company is still a ways away for TM. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of where things stand, all things considered.

Perhaps the snarkiness and/or meanspiritedness is the stuff about Musk and his other ventures, problems with "humans", and lack of charisma compared to Shai Agassi, but to me it just seemed like an attempt at an honest assessment of the guy, and he certainly gave Elon plenty of words to portray himself as he wished. Overall, I would consider it a net positive article for TM, and they probably agree which is why it went up on the website.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Tad wrote:
    Either he had a particularly beat up roadster or he has never been in a kit car.

While I compliment him on his ability to totally ignore the car's new paradigm, driving it around without ever looking at miles remaining shown on two numeric readouts each with accompanying bar graphs, it seems like he did that to have something to write about.

4. Serge

Serge Member

This article is certainly a good read with [to my eyes] one big blooper
    Let's run some numbers here: 840 kW charger * 5/60 hr = 70 kWh; sounds about right with charger losses and whatnot.

According to 2001 DoE Report, an average home consumes 10,656 / 365 = 29 kWh/day. Assuming apartments consume 1/2 as much, 70 kWh will power 5 at most, not 100.

5. Ben W

Ben W P85 #61, Roadster #108

From the article:

Only off by a factor of a hundred. The correct figure is .0002 percent :rolleyes: