Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealand FSD user experience - tips and warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I thought I will kick this thread off after finishing first 351 KM in my Tesla, where 250KM on FSD... I know it doesn't work at all times and might end up killing me, but I am going to keep confidence in my driving and stay alert - but never give up testing it to it's limits stretched....

So here we are, a thread dedicated to share your separate trip or average trips experience, share tips and tricks to avoid killing someone or getting killed, and share warnings about certain features so other can avoid them in advance... but most importantly help other have best first experience out of FSD they paid for :cool:

Being self-professed unofficial Guiana pig for FSD in New Zealand, I will make some post later this evening to get things going, but everyone is welcome.

Anyone tried part of the FSD where it provides parking assistance?

Last time I tried at three different parking areas, Wilson secure Parking, Countdown covered parking, and New World's open marked parking... none of the parking it could detect the parking spot or offer to park as it's explained within features..

I couldn't get it going so far.....

Anyone tried Summon? It only worked for me at home driveway, for 2 meters, before car saying that drive way is having high incline and it's not safe to drive.... everywhere else it says in public areas it can't be used.... so not able to understand where exactly once can use it and what are the other limitations.

Smart summon, you can use in public car parks, I would only use it with the car in sight
Summon is the same it will work in public car parks or private driveways

Auto parking can be pretty hit and miss in detecting a gap it can use
it only works with a car or some object either side of the parking spot it uses ultrasonic

2021.36 for M3 is supposed to be using vision to identify perpendicular parking spots by looking for painted markings and road edges

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
Smart summon, you can use in public car parks, I would only use it with the car in sight
Summon is the same it will work in public car parks or private driveways

Auto parking can be pretty hit and miss in detecting a gap it can use
it only works with a car or some object either side of the parking spot it uses ultrasonic

2021.36 for M3 is supposed to be using vision to identify perpendicular parking spots by looking for painted markings and road edges

Yeah suppose to be, but I couldn't see it working yet... maybe more patience necessary.
Saturday tomorrow, will give it another go before humans wake up.

Hi all,

I thought I will kick this thread off after finishing first 351 KM in my Tesla, where 250KM on FSD... I know it doesn't work at all times and might end up killing me, but I am going to keep confidence in my driving and stay alert - but never give up testing it to it's limits stretched....

So here we are, a thread dedicated to share your separate trip or average trips experience, share tips and tricks to avoid killing someone or getting killed, and share warnings about certain features so other can avoid them in advance... but most importantly help other have best first experience out of FSD they paid for :cool:

Being self-professed unofficial Guiana pig for FSD in New Zealand, I will make some post later this evening to get things going, but everyone is welcome.
Are you on South Island by chance? My buddy lives in Dunedin and is taking delivery of his Model 3 hopefully in July 2022. I'd like to see if there is a Tesla owners group he can connect with close to him in Dunedin

Are you on South Island by chance? My buddy lives in Dunedin and is taking delivery of his Model 3 hopefully in July 2022. I'd like to see if there is a Tesla owners group he can connect with close to him in Dunedin
The only owners club I know of is

I think I could get behind FSD if we, as a country, had more than about 50km of actual motorway. As it is though, it seems like a lot of $ for parking assistance which may or may not work!
Parking assistance is 4 point plus parking... super annoying at most times, but handy in rare situations.
You don't need expressway to use FSD... I use FSD on every drive, on or off motorway, and it mostly works... even on windy roads on coastal or mountain areas... it's worth the money if you consider the freedom you get when driving - as a driver first time I can enjoy NZ outdoor scenery when being alert about occasional confirmation to change lane or takeover driving.

I am Auckland based... kind of unofficially part of Tesla Hive as where I live, looks like recently everyone started buying Tesla... just so many of them.... some are creatively wrapped in PPF by making top part all Black and bottom all original white.
Best way to learn is to try everything.... with all safety features it's rare chance of dying, that also only when literally sleeping

Parking assistance is 4 point plus parking... super annoying at most times, but handy in rare situations.
You don't need expressway to use FSD... I use FSD on every drive, on or off motorway, and it mostly works... even on windy roads on coastal or mountain areas... it's worth the money if you consider the freedom you get when driving - as a driver first time I can enjoy NZ outdoor scenery when being alert about occasional confirmation to change lane or takeover driving.
You're not using FSD, you're using Autopilot with traffic light awareness. When you buy FSD in NZ you're pre-ordering access to it when it's made available here.

Other than stopping at a traffic light or stop sign, your Autopilot experience on most NZ roads is not going to be any different to the experience someone else has with base Autopilot, for now.

• Informative
You're not using FSD, you're using Autopilot with traffic light awareness. When you buy FSD in NZ you're pre-ordering access to it when it's made available here.

Other than stopping at a traffic light or stop sign, your Autopilot experience on most NZ roads is not going to be any different to the experience someone else has with base Autopilot, for now.
Hmm.... Thanks for information... It's not explained anywhere when buying FSD, where you found this information? because if not mentioned anywhere (I might be ignorant to not find that and buy anyhow) then it's potential fraud??!!!

Because from the point of difference mentioned, it's not showing much - is it?

When you buy FSD it has this in the feature list:

Coming Soon​

1. Autosteer on city streets
This is what FSD actually is and is what you see in the YouTube videos from those with access to the Beta (US and Canada only currently). "Autosteer on city streets" is a whole different autopilot stack that is very different to what we currently have.

• Informative
It also has words in there to the effect of:

- activation of certain FSD features are dependent on regulatory approval in your jurisdiction
- current features still require driver supervision
- having current FSD does not make your car autonomous
- you will get updates as features evolve

It also has words in there to the effect of:

- activation of certain FSD features are dependent on regulatory approval in your jurisdiction
- current features still require driver supervision
- having current FSD does not make your car autonomous
- you will get updates as features evolve
I saw that...
When you buy FSD it has this in the feature list:

This is what FSD actually is and is what you see in the YouTube videos from those with access to the Beta (US and Canada only currently). "Autosteer on city streets" is a whole different autopilot stack that is very different to what we currently have.
I noticed that.

In that case, on motorway it's still called FSD or Autosteer? because that is what we are buying at NZ.... but if you say that autosteer is not simply a alternate word to describe beta sub feature of wrongly marketed FSD (Full Self Driving or Future Self Driving or Faulty Self Driving... can't decide) and we are buying FSD but getting Autosteer then it's wrong practice....

What I can see is devil in detail here. discussion was around FSD, which is available to buy, but side tracked to autosteer, which is sub feature of FSD package and can not be purchased on itself.

So we all are talking the right thing, but from different perspective and different level... makes it as complex as making sense of FSD itself 😂 😂

"Basic Autosteer" is part of the included Autopilot package. Currently in NZ, the FSD package does not give you an "Autosteer" feature that is any different to what is included for free. When FSD Beta arrives here if you have the FSD package then you will get (if you get a qualifying safety score) the "Advanced Autosteer" feature (Autosteer on City Streets) that lets the car change lanes to be in the correct lane at an intersection, turn at intersections based on where the navigation is sending the car, move around stopped cars, etc etc.

Right now, the only FSD feature available in New Zealand is the ability to react to traffic lights, stop signs and give way signs. All the other features (summon, autopark, Navigate on Autopilot, etc) are Enhanced Autopilot features, which you can now buy separately.

"Basic Autosteer" is part of the included Autopilot package. Currently in NZ, the FSD package does not give you an "Autosteer" feature that is any different to what is included for free. When FSD Beta arrives here if you have the FSD package then you will get (if you get a qualifying safety score) the "Advanced Autosteer" feature (Autosteer on City Streets) that lets the car change lanes to be in the correct lane at an intersection, turn at intersections based on where the navigation is sending the car, move around stopped cars, etc etc.

Right now, the only FSD feature available in New Zealand is the ability to react to traffic lights, stop signs and give way signs. All the other features (summon, autopark, Navigate on Autopilot, etc) are Enhanced Autopilot features, which you can now buy separately.
so enhance autopilot could navigation based driving? enter and exit motorway as well as intersection? choose correct lane and switch lane based on traffic (traffic aware), give way to emergency vehicles approaching, and change lanes in some of the streets as long as they are named highway or similar,

so there is autopilot, auto steer, and full self driving.... where can find this distinction on Tesla's website? or when placing the order for FSD? because in New Zealand it simply says to get FSD which will allow you to do so and so you pay $11400...

so confusing.... only scams used to be having finer details and conflicting statements... good old days.

FSD in NZ has
Navigate on Autopilot - on motorway, car can change lanes and exit motorway by itself (providing route is set)
summon, pull in/out parking space by itself
smart summon - sent to a location or come to you by itself. Carparks, private property only
autopark - parallel or perpendicular
Stopping for traffic lights and stop signs can not turn at intersections

EAP
Navigate on Autopilot - on motorway, car can Change lanes and exit motorway by itself (providing route is set)
summon, pull in/out parking space
smart summon - sent to a location or come to you, carparks only
autopark - parallel or perpendicular

Autopilot - will follow route, can not change lanes by itself, can not exit motorway by itself
can not turn at intersections

US FSD beta, driving on city streets work in progress

so enhance autopilot could navigation based driving? enter and exit motorway as well as intersection? choose correct lane and switch lane based on traffic (traffic aware), give way to emergency vehicles approaching, and change lanes in some of the streets as long as they are named highway or similar,

so there is autopilot, auto steer, and full self driving.... where can find this distinction on Tesla's website? or when placing the order for FSD? because in New Zealand it simply says to get FSD which will allow you to do so and so you pay $11400...

so confusing.... only scams used to be having finer details and conflicting statements... good old days.
Yes, EAP can do all of that. I have had these features with EAP for almost 2 years now.