Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealand FSD user experience - tips and warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, EAP can do all of that. I have had these features with EAP for almost 2 years now.
hmm... never heard of EAP option available to purchase before most recently.... missed out on that.
did little research in forum and saw others mentioning that it's detection capability missing... therefore it's signal and speed sign detection.

I never saw the option for EAP purchase, how did you got EAP?

Found this interesting read... explains all different driving mode and how crazy FSD beta could get...

Reassessing my already booked Model S, Model X, and Cyber Truck (whatever I can get first to replace model 3)... because it appears there is a major communication and trust issue with tesla. I had worst service experience in recent, as what could have been done remotely - I took time off to get in - only for them to say they can't do anything. Now this EAP purchase option vs FSD. and all the missing release notes on what are they installing to fix something (Dishonesty? not letting customer know what's wrong with car)....

I invested money and time with car, almost 10000 plus out of 11000plus KM so far on FSD/Autopilot with all the dramas, so not an easy decision to make about weather to stay with Tesla or sell it off and use my time wisely with more honest and transparent car company???!!!

Last edited:
But you folks drive on the "wrong side of the road"! Glad to see Tesla is making it's way to beautiful New Zealand. My buddy Max in Dunedin is patiently waiting for his Model 3 to arrive. He's old school like we are with our Model 3. I doubt he will be adding FSD or too many other goodies. But who knows?!
We last visited South Island pre-covid and can hardly wait to return. Twizel rocks!

Reactions: Audietron
But you folks drive on the "wrong side of the road"! Glad to see Tesla is making it's way to beautiful New Zealand. My buddy Max in Dunedin is patiently waiting for his Model 3 to arrive. He's old school like we are with our Model 3. I doubt he will be adding FSD or too many other goodies. But who knows?!
We last visited South Island pre-covid and can hardly wait to return. Twizel rocks!
well all I can say is "Going/turning/driving left has it's own class"... even on road :)

hmm... never heard of EAP option available to purchase before most recently.... missed out on that.
did little research in forum and saw others mentioning that it's detection capability missing... therefore it's signal and speed sign detection.

I never saw the option for EAP purchase, how did you got EAP?

Found this interesting read... explains all different driving mode and how crazy FSD beta could get...

Reassessing my already booked Model S, Model X, and Cyber Truck (whatever I can get first to replace model 3)... because it appears there is a major communication and trust issue with tesla. I had worst service experience in recent, as what could have been done remotely - I took time off to get in - only for them to say they can't do anything. Now this EAP purchase option vs FSD. and all the missing release notes on what are they installing to fix something (Dishonesty? not letting customer know what's wrong with car)....

I invested money and time with car, almost 10000 plus out of 11000plus KM so far on FSD/Autopilot with all the dramas, so not an easy decision to make about weather to stay with Tesla or sell it off and use my time wisely with more honest and transparent car company???!!!
Even the basic version of Autopilot that is included for free can read speed signs and react to them. The only thing that basic and enhanced autopilot can't do is react to stop signs and traffic lights, only the FSD package can do that.

For a bit of a history lesson, up until early 2019, there were three packages available, Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and FSD. No version of Autopilot was included for free. A few months before the Model 3 was launched in New Zealand they "simplified" the add-on packages and Autopilot was included with all cars and EAP and FSD were rolled into the same package, so FSD was the only upgrade to Autopilot available.

In September 2020 they brought back EAP as a limited time offer, which is what I took advantage of and how I got it a few years ago. A few months later they brought it back permanently for Europe and as of last week, they've now done the same for NZ and Aus.

I personally think it was a mistake of Tesla to remove EAP as being an upgrade option, but I don't think they did anything wrong by doing so. At the time they made that decision Tesla was still very much a new car company trying to get a mass-production car established. At the same time they were (and still are) trying to do what all car companies are trying to do and solve the very expensive self driving problem. Consolidating the upgrade path for Autopilot to being just the FSD package meant that they brought in more money to fund that.

The information that the FSD package doesn't include any FSD features yet was available to you when you made that purchase. If you think otherwise, feel free to take it up with the Disputes Tribunal, but I don't think they're going to see it your way.