Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealand Road Trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldnt put much faith into that, I've seen 3 superchargers in use and nobody at the HPC when it was working fine. I've never had any problem with the HPC, except for the rfid fob not working, had to use the app to start it.
Re; Taupo HPC. I only tried the fob as it has always worked in the past, never had to use the app. I will try again as I do like this chargers price, speed and location.

I was actually looking for charging stations and input to pass on to him.
practical thing to do.... however, it's at early stage of revolution in charging stations, so every now and than it's different.
for example, when I sent to Tauranga last August, only 3 charger locations and two of them working.... in recent trip to Tauranga in January, there were 4 sites and two were working.... if going today there are more than 5 and all might be working.
as government and petrol companies keep on injecting money in charging network, it's consistently growing.... add plug-share and other social or hospitality network and it's breeding like bacteria.

So what's available today, will be different by the time receiving the car.

Best thing to do would be to already download and setup charge net, plug share sort of app. allows to research in Realtime till and after car arrives.

PS: very kind of you to put such efforts for you friend, good friend you are.

Last edited:
practical thing to do.... however, it's at early stage of revolution in charging stations, so every now and than it's different.
for example, when I sent to Tauranga last August, only 3 charger locations and two of them working.... in recent trip to Tauranga in January, there were 4 sites and two were working.... if going today there are more than 5 and all might be working.
as government and petrol companies keep on injecting money in charging network, it's consistently growing.... add plug-share and other social or hospitality network and it's breeding like bacteria.

So what's available today, will be different by the time receiving the car.

Best thing to do would be to already download and setup charge net, plug share sort of app. allows to research in Realtime till and after car arrives.

PS: very kind of you to put such efforts for you friend, good friend you are.
Thank you. I will pass on to my buddy. He's a lot like me..a Senior owner and driver. Most likely working his way thru technology. Hoping to help him avoid being concerned about charging while traveling. I am in San Diego, Cal. and we have the luxury of home solar panels for charging and and abundance of Tesla Charging stations.

Reactions: Audietron
Thank you. I will pass on to my buddy. He's a lot like me..a Senior owner and driver. Most likely working his way thru technology. Hoping to help him avoid being concerned about charging while traveling. I am in San Diego, Cal. and we have the luxury of home solar panels for charging and and abundance of Tesla Charging stations.
same here, mostly charge my car and run house using solar at home... have charging stations at every nook and corners around Auckland, and almost similar proportion to gas stations across country.
Only difference is, what you may have for city, we might have for a country... considering population and demand - lol.

Reactions: OldPro
Just got back from a day trip, 354km used 53kWh with a 148 Wh/km use.
Left home with 100% and got back with 5%
This is in a Model 3 SR+ Unicorn which was confirmed by Tesla on pick-up with a build date 9/10/2021
My question is: if you are getting below 150 Wh/km should you not be able to do 400km with a 60kw Battery.
The cars lifetime use is 23,698km with 137 Wh/km

The T&C for hosting

*Listing your vehicle on the evee platform is subject to evee's New Zealand terms and conditions, including the Host applying for a New Zealand Transport Service License and for the vehicle, a Warrant of Fitness.

0% platform fee is applicable for the first 10 vehicles who join and remain on the platform for at least 3 months.
Hosts become eligible for this promotion when they are selected to join evee New Zealand, take up the evee insurance policy, list their vehicle and make it available to rent.

This promotion will end after 12 months, or at $500 of commissions for each Host, whichever comes sooner. At the end of each quarter, evee will rebate platform fees charged on rentals within 10 business days, up to the cap outlined in this promotion.

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron and Miggy

The T&C for hosting

*Listing your vehicle on the evee platform is subject to evee's New Zealand terms and conditions, including the Host applying for a New Zealand Transport Service License and for the vehicle, a Warrant of Fitness.

0% platform fee is applicable for the first 10 vehicles who join and remain on the platform for at least 3 months.
Hosts become eligible for this promotion when they are selected to join evee New Zealand, take up the evee insurance policy, list their vehicle and make it available to rent.

This promotion will end after 12 months, or at $500 of commissions for each Host, whichever comes sooner. At the end of each quarter, evee will rebate platform fees charged on rentals within 10 business days, up to the cap outlined in this promotion.
Knowing my NZ buddy...not likely

The T&C for hosting

Off topic question...

I never rented out my car, going to be travelling for December-Feb and car is going to be seating in garage plugged in to use electricity and have fun (maybe tesla can enjoy some Netflix time - lol)... can anyone share their experience with leasing out their Tesla when away? safe or not worth it? I am curious to know more.

If traveling the West Coast of the South Island think about staying at the Hokitika Fire Station Boutique Accommodation.
Has a free charger for Tesla and others.

Just finished a Welly-Palmy-Welly trip.

271 km covered, 149 wh/km
Welly to Palmy ~43% used
Palmy to Welly ~47% used
Total 40 kwh

Started from home at 100% and got to the Welly supercharger at 10%.

Weather started at 11C and got warmer as I headed north, but windier and colder as I headed back. AC on auto.

A few observations:

Tesla maps does not know about transmission gully yet. As a result it wouldn’t navigate using that route, kept insisting I go through SH59 northbound and Paekakariki Hill Rd southwards.

On the way south was worse, it kept trying to start/stop preconditioning but kept changing its mind because it didn’t know where it was.

Southbound on TG will use up more range.

Edit 2020 SR+ - would probably be more efficient in a newer car.

Anyone have any strong feeling about getting a rwd Y vs performance Y? We're leaning towards the rwd as we don't care too much about performance, save the cash, save on tyres, save on energy use, etc. Only thing missing is a bit of range. We're in north Auckland, and downfalls on the range / charging rate front?

Reactions: Audietron
Anyone have any strong feeling about getting a rwd Y vs performance Y? We're leaning towards the rwd as we don't care too much about performance, save the cash, save on tyres, save on energy use, etc. Only thing missing is a bit of range. We're in north Auckland, and downfalls on the range / charging rate front?
Not huge difference... before current RWD M3, I always driven 4.2ltr or more - had to get RWD as selling once my MS delivered (now don't know when)... it's still fast and smooth and only rare stops (at Dunedin Baldwin street) we felt it in need for little push.

Unless you always drive 400+KM nonstop, RWD range is good enough, nice to watch a movie or get a nap after every 3-4 hours driving 😒

But drive both before deciding so it's no-regret decision... many Tesla you can rent for a day - if want to try M3 RWD (almost same except lean body), you are welcome to, as I live around North Shore.