Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealanders, any idea if I can import a left hand, USA charging, Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drumheller

Jan 20, 2016
Arizona
I'm looking at possibly making a move to New Zealand and would like to bring my Model S with me, if possible. I'm starting to read up on the import rules and would appreciate any information and advice that could be offered by NZ members.

Thanks!

Are there restrictions on LHD vehicles?
Yes. Most left-hand drive vehicles have to be converted to right-hand drive(RHD) before they can be driven on New Zealand roads.

For modern vehicles, this is either very expensive or impractical – especially if the vehicle has a modern frontal impact protection system (eg airbags and crumple zones).

The only vehicles that can be registered as LHD and driven on New Zealand roads are those that belong to one of the specific categories of LHD that are permitted by law.

Before going to the expense of importing a LHD vehicle, you should check very carefully that your vehicle is either belongs to one of the permitted categories or is capable of being converted to RHD. Otherwise, you may find it impossible to use the vehicle on New Zealand roads.

You should also watch out for......

Guidelines to the Mental Health (Compulsory ... - Ministry of Health
https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/.../guide-to-mental-health-act.pdf
Special patients detained in hospital for inquiries or assessment under the .... disorder' definition may well qualify for compulsory treatment under the Act,.

• Informative
Reactions: S'toon
In NZ the drive on the other side of the road, have 240v and different plugs. Why would you import a car that has to go to the US for service?

Because I can't buy a Tesla in NZ, yet, and shipping mine would be much cheaper than buying a new one.

Thank you everyone for the replies! It sounds like I'm going to have to let go of my Tesla and go back to ICE for a time. I will be saving for a Tesla when it is easier to obtain one in NZ.