Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newark DE Supercharger PSA... don't hit the curb on 1A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems some a*****e in an SUV has been making a statement here. Every owner here contacted Tesla about this, including some here before me.

Was a line here of at least 1 car since I arrived. The guy on 2B in this pic is lucky, I couldn't get close enough when I arrived.

Eventually someone is going to do something stupid to this ICE car and I won't feel bad.

20150601_133657.jpg

What state was the SUV from? Employee? Was anyone inside the rest area contacted?
Fortunately last month I charged in Newark in the morning (1 other Tesla their briefly)
and I skipped it for Hamilton, NJ on the way home...

20150601_135054.jpg

Another owner and I discussed the possibility of removing this paper tag then telling the police about a vehicle with no tag...

I wouldn't personally do anything illlegal like that... but it was a fun thought.

Tesla sent me an email:

Thank you for your email and feedback. We have reached out to the Property Managers at the Travel Plaza and they are looking into the issue.

Please continue to let us know how we can make your charging experience better. We appreciate your enthusiasm and support for Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Best regards,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Are these travel plazas considered "private property"? They seem like a place where police ought to have jurisdiction for safety and security reasons.

Alternately, a flatbed works. That SC is getting congested enough already without this jackassery. It's not like there's no where else to park at that travel plaza.

People can be so inconsiderate. It's all about them. It really pisses me off. The grade of the grass embankment behind the pedestals isn't particularly high. I wonder if you could back in at an angle from the other side without getting stuck.

People can be so inconsiderate. It's all about them. It really pisses me off. The grade of the grass embankment behind the pedestals isn't particularly high. I wonder if you could back in at an angle from the other side without getting stuck.

It looks like that in the photo, but it's actually a drainage ditch with embankments on each side.... probably not going to be attempted unless it's a life or death emergency. Plus would need to get over the curb.

Are these travel plazas considered "private property"? They seem like a place where police ought to have jurisdiction for safety and security reasons.

Alternately, a flatbed works. That SC is getting congested enough already without this jackassery. It's not like there's no where else to park at that travel plaza.

Car Dolly Auto Mover - GoCart (TM) - Portable Jacks Vehicle Wheel Dollies and Carts by Ranger - YouTube

Atlas Mov-it Wheel Dollies...Hydraulic and Ratchet Action - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the towing capacity of a Model S? Given how torque-y it is, couldn't we just tow the SUV out of it's spot and leave it in a ditch?

If it's in park, it's problematic to tow. Also, attaching a tow rope or chain could cause damage and takes more time. Throwing four dollies one four wheels won't cause any damage, and is quick/non-invasive. But I don't know about the actual legality. Also, I'd expect some sort of retaliation from the ICEr.

We came through this SC today around 1pm. There was a cue. Four Model S' were charging and two were waiting. It seems that the capacity could be expanded. I noticed that the 8 parking spots to the right of the SC stalls are reserved for "low emission/fuel efficient cars". That must be some kind of a joke because all these spots were taken with not a single low emission car parking there (unfortunately I forgot to take pics). I saw an SUV, several standard ICE and one Toyota at least 20 years old. Looks like Tesla could expand the chargers to the right which would make sense. Some chargers at service stations in NY have 4 chargers for each direction. 8 chargers for this site, which serves both directions, would be appropriate.

I would suggest expanding the other way, to the area on the other side of the transformers.. It's more hidden and would be much less likely to be iced. I think that's a general bus loading area and there's no parking lines there now.

And while they're at it, do this on both sides of the rest area.

I agree. Grow the line south towards the busses. I'd probably grow the current site to 8 first vs adding 4 for northbound. You'll get slightly better bin-packing efficiency that way. I'm not sure new tesla owners would realize that you can drive across the parking lot if it was split 4 and 4, and for some reason one side was full and the other had space. Plus if there is room in the existing enclosure for 2 more cabinets, and the transformer can take it or be upgraded, that has to be less expensive for Tesla.