Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newb looking for advice to buy a 2018 MX P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I'm just getting oriented here and would love some pointers on buying a used MX PxxD. Links to other threads where I can get smarter would be greatly appreciated!

I plan on going to a Tesla dealer this weekend to ask questions and drive whatever they have that is closest, but there aren't any used MX p100d for sale there. Would driving a MS p100d be fair to get a feel? I'm guessing not so much.

I'm worried about buying a Tesla from a non-Tesla dealer. How do I know I'll be able to "transfer" the car to my new Tesla account? And do I actually need to do this before I can even drive it off the lot? Will there still be some warranty honored to me if I buy a one owner from a non-Tesla dealer?

Should I pay for one of those independent car inspector companies to assess it, or should that only be done by taking it to a Tesla dealership?

Are there years to avoid? I see a few 2016 pXXd but almost no 2017/2018 and I'm not sure why.

Are all P100Ds loaded with every option, or are there some more coveted than others?

Sorry for my first post to be peppered with questions, and looking forward to some guidance.

S/X have same drivetrain but height/feel is different so drive MS P100D to feel the power (X will be a hair slower) and drive any X for feeling the actual ride n comfort, etc...

I'd personally make sure u can get access thru app, it only takes 5min with submitting bill of sale or title, its all automated. if current owner/dealer has access they can just add ur email in their account n it'll transfer right away. there have been stories here about issues getting ownership post sale but not very common.

app will tell u warranty n such, don't trust the dealer... 2018s should still have warranty on motors/battery but not the rest of the car, assuming clean title.
pre-Oct 2016 is AP1 n not upgradable to anything so probably avoid that unless u don't mind less tech.
word of caution tho, LDU (large rear drive unit) is prone to coolant leaks so be ready for that to fail at some point if not already...

not sure what month but in maybe March 2018, MCU2 came out. (MCU1 is really sloooow)
PUP (premium upgrades package) n stuff like cold weather package is the upgrades that weren't standard in 16/17 i think, research what u want/need
should be listed in app n Additional info on Software screen

Reactions: B4TUR

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230427_230742_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230427_230742_Chrome.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20230427_230724_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230427_230724_Chrome.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: scottf200
Any members out there near Ewing NJ that might know this Dealer J&S Autohaus? They seem to move a lot of Teslas. So I'm guessing they get trade ins and hopefully know what they're doing with EVs.

Double extra thanks if anyone local would go check out the car!

Does Lemon Squad know squat about Teslas if I would hire them to inspect it for me?

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I think you will need to pay for premium conductivity, my
6/17 x100d says premium. I would not worry about range as long as it’s enough for your needs, and varies according to conditions and driving habits. I only charge our 6/17 x with 60k miles to 90%. 264 when brand new and current is 242.

Thank you everyone for your help. One more question please. I see the original range for the 2018 MX p100d is 289 miles. This dealer tells me the range at full charge is 238. Is that a bad sign?
238/289=82% which means the battery has lost 18% of its range. That seems pretty high to me. My 2015 MS 85 had a 12% loss of range @ 78k miles when I sold it at the end of February. My current 2019 MX has only lost 4%, but it only has 15k miles currently (purchased at 13k).

It's possible the BMS needs to be calibrated. You can run a battery health test from the service menu, but it takes hours and the dealer might not want to accommodate you.

I think you will need to pay for premium conductivity, my
6/17 x100d says premium. I would not worry about range as long as it’s enough for your needs, and varies according to conditions and driving habits. I only charge our 6/17 x with 60k miles to 90%. 264 when brand new and current is 242.
You would think Tesla would include premium conductivity for all their components! Should definitely not need a subscription... 🤣🤣

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston