Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbee Question on App Display/Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to set up Custom|Advanced|Balanced Price Schedule slots to handle my 4:00pm- 9:00pm Peak time TOU rate. (all other times are off-peak rate.) I have it set up as in the image file uploaded. When I look at the graph for a day, it shows a reasonable number for the Peak times but if I click on the Off-peak, the numbers are very low. If I manually take the "All Day" numbers and subtract the Peak numbers it looks about right. Looking at the Price schedule, it shows the time correctly. However the times for Off-peak shows 9:00pm - 4:00pm. I have a feeling that the calculations are only using the 9:00pm - midnight to calculate the Off-peak numbers.

Can someone help in getting these numbers correct? I am sure it is just how I am setting it up. I am new to all this. Screenshot_20200801-144741_Tesla.jpg

Thanks...
Don

those settings are corrrect
for an entire day, it will add midnight to 4pm to 9pm to midnight for the off peak graph. Then the next day startss at midnight again

The issue is that the Peak and Non-peak displays when added up are not what the All Day AllDay.jpg is showing. It seem for the day Midnight - 4pm is not shown, 4pm-9pm is shown in peak Peak.jpg and 9pm-midnight IS shown in Off-peak.OffPeak.jpg

I would think that the All Day display should be the sum of Off-Peak and Peak displays. (This addition would show the house is using 9.7+4.4=14.1 but All Day says 34.8 !)

I haven't looked into it in detail but many people have noted that the totals displayed have a variety of problems, especially for the current day. I generally only look at the characteristics of the intraday chart to verify that it's doing what I expect.

Its been turned on (unofficially - Tesla left it on after testing - awaiting PTO from Edison) sense Thursday. Been off and on several times sense the first of the month.

I just wanted to know the wrapping the non-peak time from the end of peak (9:00pm), around midnight, to the start of peak (4:00pm) is what to do. Using balanced mode. The system seems to be working as far as using powerwalls usage and exporting to grid during peak. Its just strange numbers are reported. (Like no solar during off-peak time as well as strange numbers.)

Maybe waiting longer will help more or when Tesla hears PTO is good?

I haven't looked into it in detail but many people have noted that the totals displayed have a variety of problems, especially for the current day. I generally only look at the characteristics of the intraday chart to verify that it's doing what I expect.

The chart looks like it is correct. Chart.jpg
The All Day numbers look good, I think, as Edison shows the same usage number. Just the non-peak and peak times don't add up to the All Day numbers.

• Disagree
Reactions: BrettS
I don't undetstand those breaks in the PW charging. If the solar curve is smooth, the PW Charge curve should be smooth. Also, it looks to be powering the house after 9pm. Do you have it on Cost Saving?
It is on balanced. I wonder if it is because of the AC compressor starting? Looking at the raw data, there are dips in charging the 2 powerwalls and some grid usage. The compressor is old but Tesla put in a soft start device. Don't really have a graph of the system without the heat wave yet.

I don't undetstand those breaks in the PW charging. If the solar curve is smooth, the PW Charge curve should be smooth. Also, it looks to be powering the house after 9pm. Do you have it on Cost Saving?

The breaks are because the house was using more power during those times. If you look at the blue part of the graph that’s the house usage and it was spiking up and down (the AC compressor is likely the reason). But when the house was drawing more power then there was less solar power to charge the powerwalls.

The breaks are because the house was using more power during those times. If you look at the blue part of the graph that’s the house usage and it was spiking up and down (the AC compressor is likely the reason). But when the house was drawing more power then there was less solar power to charge the powerwalls.
I think your correct. I "think" that the graph looks reasonably correct. The numbers below the graph do not.
I am unsure what is behind those numbers but me not having PTO I am not going to press Tesla to explain why. (Like why off peak is 0 for solar!) It may be that the Tesla servers only do computations at specific times to present these numbers.

Is balanced the best settings you all found?

but all the solar power should be going to the PW. Should be independent of the house during Off Peak and Charging. The house would draw from the grid
Reading the verbage for behavior is:
"Powerwall will charge from excess solar during off-peak and shoulder (if required).
Powerwall will discharge during all periods, minimizing exports during shoulder and off-peak."

So it only uses grid if solar can't supply enough. The solar covered most all of the overages. Thus. The sawtooth look.

PW will not charge from Grid at all unless in Storm watch
this is what it should look like
The powerwalls are not charging from the Grid. The solar graph will always be smooth (as long as you dont have issues with a panel or optimizer. You seem to have more than my 24 panels so you are generating much more solar to handle the startup of your AC compressor and continue to charge your powerwalls. You are not showing what the house is taking so I am guessing that the above is correct.

It may also be that the compressor startup is much more than shown on the graph I sent. That would trigger the system to stop charging the powerwalls so that grid power is not required.

so you require grid power to start you AC?
I still don't understand the negative spikes
The negative spikes in the PW charging curve are due to the fact that they are charging from "surplus solar". That is, the solar production that is greater than the household consumption. So, the HVAC consumption spikes are temporarily reducing the PW charging power. The algorithm will select whether it needs to charge from "all solar" or "surplus solar" depending on the solar production forecast and SOC.