Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie: 2021 MYLR Wh/Mi is more than 325

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I Bought a Demo car recently with 700 Miles on it and tried to be as conservative as possible.

Yesterday I drove with in city for about 40 Miles with an average speed of 30 Miles (Very less stop and go) and it consumed about 60 Miles of range.
I was going through the forums and understand there are several factors that contribute to this.

But, even with being very conservative (no braking, no harsh acceleration, no headwind, maintaining speeds below 45 MPH), the Wh/mi usage seems to be very high @325+ and it is way more than what others are pointing out in this forum.

I have raised a service request for and a mobile service person will be coming to take a look at this. one question i have is that i have recently installed calliper covers on the car (picture attached). will this cause any warranty issues ?
IMG-20220127-WA0001.jpg

You need to precondition the Tesla Model Y before driving. Preferably while plugged in for at least 10 minutes when the outside air temperature is at or below 40F, longer if the outside temp is below 32F. If you fully precondition your Wh/mi will likely be in the range of 285 Wh/mi for the type of driving you described.

Preconditioning while not plugged in can use ~2% of the battery. This additional energy usage does not show up in the Wh/mi metrics that only includes energy used (also factors in energy recovered using regenerative braking) while driving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My March->November wh/mi was 282 over 15,500 miles. It started out higher around 320 but went down after I got used to regen. November->January 1700miles I’m at 362 wh/mi with winter tires. My average is now around 294. I’m also on inductions they’re not as good as the 19’s for range.

Upvote 0
What is your weather like? Cold or hot weather both can impact range. The other thing to check is tire pressure. At lowish speeds, it's unlikely that aerodynamics would have much of an impact.

The other thing to watch out for is how you're using the regenerative braking. If you're speeding up and slowing down, it can cut into your efficiency even if you're not stepping on there brake pedal.

Upvote 0
Hi, I Bought a Demo car recently with 700 Miles on it and tried to be as conservative as possible.

Yesterday I drove with in city for about 40 Miles with an average speed of 30 Miles (Very less stop and go) and it consumed about 60 Miles of range.
I was going through the forums and understand there are several factors that contribute to this.

But, even with being very conservative (no braking, no harsh acceleration, no headwind, maintaining speeds below 45 MPH), the Wh/mi usage seems to be very high @325+ and it is way more than what others are pointing out in this forum.

What was the outside temperature? Cold temps can affect the efficiency, especially on shorter drives. Also, did you turn the climate control on before leaving? If it's cold outside this will also pre-condition (warm up) the battery. It's a good thing to do, but it will consume some 'miles' if not plugged in.

I wouldn't get too concerned. Forty miles is a small data sample.

Upvote 0
There is one factor that is contributing to this--heating. It's a short drive. It is doing a lot of heating and warming itself up at the start of the drive. On longer drives, it will have time to get warm and for the heating energy consumption to settle down, and it won't look that bad.
the Wh/mi usage seems to be very high @325+ and it is way more than what others are pointing out in this forum.
It's not way more than others are pointing out during Winter time. Everyone has high energy consumption during the Winter when they have to use a lot of extra energy for heating.
I have raised a service request for and a mobile service person will be coming to take a look at this.
Please don't waste a service center's time because you are using the heat.
You need to precondition the Tesla Model Y before driving.
I am going to attribute this to just bad wording. No, people don't "need" to precondition. But this is a learning thing of a choice that is being made. They can either pre-heat while they are at home and then see lower consumption while driving, or they can not pre-heat and have higher consumption when they start driving. Neither is right or wrong or better or worse, but people just need to understand that it's a simple tradeoff of what they want to see.

Upvote 0
Start slower off the line. If it’s cold out, it will drop further.

Preconditioning Doesn’t help. It transfer the power used from the car to the house supply so at the end of the day, you’re still paying for all those kWh. If you need to squeeze out all the range, or want a warm cabin, precondition.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I have a question along this same subject. I realize that there are several factors that effect the battery consumption. Over a year what would be a reasonable number for the kWh/mile? Excuse my ignorance but do you want a high number or a low number. These two numbers have been a source of concerning buying an EV. Thank you for any and all responses. Did not mean to hijack this thread.

Upvote 0
I have a question along this same subject. I realize that there are several factors that effect the battery consumption. Over a year what would be a reasonable number for the kWh/mile? Excuse my ignorance but do you want a high number or a low number. These two numbers have been a source of concerning buying an EV. Thank you for any and all responses. Did not mean to hijack this thread.
Lower number mean you are achieving increased driving efficiency. Adjusted for different seasons, use of AC and heat you may see an average of 270 Wh/mi (could be higher or lower depending on many factors.)

Upvote 0
Lower means you are having less fun with the car.

Upvote 0