Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie asks: What is the current status of self-driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sugar-land-pc-houston-speed-up-my-computer.png

...progression to full self-driving...

The only indication that I see is the video demo.

Tesla planned a real life demo by driving driverlessly coast-to-coast by 12/2017 but it's delayed.

Elon said Tesla could get its programmers to do a specific route demo by that deadline but that demo would not benefit the rest of owners so he wants to delay to do make sure when it will do, it hopefully by this year, it will be good in general for the rest of owners instead of just for 1 demo.

In the mean time, Autopilot is pretty good if you babysit the system and take over as needed.

While on Autopilot, owners who are not on their toes still got into accidents.

Model 3 is catching up with S and X and lacking some features such as summon.

I have enjoyed my Autopilot very much and seamlessly correct its mistakes but my passengers do notice my corrections (resist the steering torque when it wants to exit and I want to keep the steering straight, apply brake when it does not brake timely...) and they do get alarmed.

Last edited:
You can pay for the full self driving option but, for the time being, it does absolutely nothing and Tesla has yet to provide any real or reliable timeline for functionality to be added as part of the option.

Edit for clarity: I'm only talking about the paid FSD option, not the Enhanced Autopilot option.

If I bought a new model S or model X and updated the software, where are we currently in the progression to full self-driving?

Is the model 3 at the same spot in this progression or is it somewhere else?

thanks,

someguy

Model 3 is currently behind (no AEB, no wifi, no rear seat heat, UI isn't finished, etc.). It has the most potential for FSD but hardware-wise, it seems Tesla isn't even sure FSD is possible with the current hardware (some components Tesla has promised to upgrade but in terms of hardware redundancy, there is no one (only 1 radar, one actuator for the steering, etc.). Regs are strongly hinting at requirements for hardware redundancy.

So even if Tesla solves the software issue and regs permit FSD, they might not permit Tesla's FSD.

The only thing that is currently available on any Tesla vehicle is enhanced autopilot. This can maintain a constant distance behind the car in front of you, recognize lane markings, autosteer to stay within your lane, change lanes on the driver's prompt, and follow the car in front of you if lane markings aren't visible. It can't make turns or respond appropriately to stop signs, traffic lights, crosswalks, traffic cones, crossing guards, drunken santas (often a problem in San Francisco), road construction, detours, etc.

We have enhanced autopilot on our Model 3 and the ability to interpret lane lines makes the traffic aware cruise control work really well (our BMW i3 used to freak out when we tried to use TACC on a twisty road with cars parked next to the road). I find the Model 3 autopilot works quite well in stop and go traffic, but it still has problems on twisty roads and anything beyond simply staying in its own lane. I like to think of autosteer as cruise control for your steering wheel rather than some sort of AI that can drive better than a human.

Here is what the Model 3 configurator has to say about the availability of full self driving:

"In the future, Model 3 will be capable of conducting trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.

Requires Enhanced Autopilot

$4,000 upgrade if added after delivery

This functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval. It is not possible to know exactly when it will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction."

I recently drove a 100D for about 100 miles and I thought AP2.0 was very good. Only complaint was - if a car in the lane next to me drifted close to the line the Tesla would brake. It was constantly slowing unnecessarily. But it was very good at staying in the lane, maybe better than my AP1 car.

What Tesla offers today for enhanced autopilot should come for free, and should be marketed as a safety enhancement. Like Subaru does.

I checked this out recently with other luxury brands. For example, a brand new 2018 BMW 7-series does not come with the BMW-variant of what Tesla calls EAP. And that is a car that is even more expensive than Tesla MS.

Nissan Leaf (lower budget) has this as an option only available in the more expensive models.

I too felt that this should be standard, but now that I've checked other brands it seems none of them (atleast in Europe) offers this standard.