Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie charging question: parked outside, cable run under garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• IMG_20180124_171728.jpg
    IMG_20180124_171728.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_20180124_171756.jpg
    IMG_20180124_171756.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 669
Reactions: 03DSG
Maybe you could tack an old piece of garden hose along the bottom of your garage door and leave a small gap at one end where the charger cable can run under the door. Or you could just remove a small piece of the rubber seal that's on the bottom of the garage door. I know where I'm at mice would get in the garage if there was any gap under the garage door.

I’m planning on slightly undercutting the garage frame and routing the cable behind the garage door track, under the frame. That way, the door can close properly. If that’s not clear I’ll post a picture when I actually do it, perhaps this weekend.

Sounds reasonable if you are planning to keep the charge head mounted on the exterior. We wrap ours up on the interior garage wall when we unplug so it was easier to just toss it on the floor under the door :)

I’m planning on slightly undercutting the garage frame and routing the cable behind the garage door track, under the frame. That way, the door can close properly. If that’s not clear I’ll post a picture when I actually do it, perhaps this weekend.

Sounds reasonable if you are planning to keep the charge head mounted on the exterior. We wrap ours up on the interior garage wall when we unplug so it was easier to just toss it on the floor under the door :)

Unfortunately, our Model 3 must live outside, as we don't have the garage space to store both the 3 and its larger Model S sibling.

Accordingly, I'm planning on using Gecko Toes hose mount to hang the charging cable on the side of my house, just around the corner from the garage door opening.

Last edited: