Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie charging question: parked outside, cable run under garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! First post since joining a week ago. Not yet a Tesla owner however I see a Model 3 in my future this year!

I'm tying to learn all I can in preparation to purchasing a Tesla and have some questions on how to prepare for charging. We have a house and the garage houses my wife's car (a Prius) and there is not room for a second car in there. So once I get my Tesla, I'm thinking I'll run the charging cable from the garage to my Tesla and charge it that way. I want to be able to close the garage door on the cable and I want to feel like the cable and car are going to be OK overnight.

As I understand it, if I lock my Tesla while it is charging, the charging handle is locked into the car through some mechanism and will not release until I unlock the car - is that correct? Because I'm thinking that might provide the security I'm looking for. So envision the garage door shut, charging cable snaking under the door to my Tesla (backed up to the garage), plugged into the Tesla, safely charging overnight. I get up in the morning, open the garage door, end the charging session, put away the gear, everyone is happy. Sound reasonable?

Or open to other ideas, others experience with similar situations, etc.

Thanks!
Michael

If possible, I wouldn't suggest running a charging cable under a garage door on a regular basis. I do that a couple times a year at my parent's house, but make a point of not letting the garage door close all the way on the cord whenever I do it.

If you're going to park outside, I would have your charging gear mounted outside. That could be either a weatherproof NEMA 14-50 outlet or permanently mounting a Wall Connector on the outside of the garage. It might cost you an extra $450 for the Wall Connector ($500 for the Wall Connector minus $50 for parts on a NEMA 14-50 that you wouldn't be purchasing), but it would be a lot more convenient to deal with.

Personally, I'd go with the Wall Connector, but either option would work.

I see people running their charge cable under the garage door all the time. If you have a little cushion or a little gap under the door, then It's fine. Obviously you don't want to be crushing the cable.

Personally, I'd try to put the whole kit outside because I wouldn't want to open the garage every time I want plug/unplug, but that's me.

Charging outside is fine. I do it every night. My EVSE uses a 14-50 in an outdoor enclosure.

I charge my MS just as you described, my 14-50 plug is just inside the garage door, I actually wrap a little towel around the area that the garage door comes down on the cord to provide a little "cushion". I'm pretty sure the M3 will be the same as the MS, the charge port does "lock" the UMC in the port so it can not be removed until the car is unlocked.

5D728FA3-4489-4794-921A-9FAFB81C20A6.jpeg
I will have to do something similar at my family’s lake house in the winter as they store a Corvette inside a single garage.

I was going to get these which have a channel and can hold thousands of lbs on top. That way it will pass under safely and with a few seal the whole garage opening to reduce cold or water.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I77CQ...t=&hvlocphy=9004331&hvtargid=pla-373168200954

If you’re concerned about theft, I’ve always liked this solution.

Locked NEMA 14-50 Outdoors?

Running under door should be fine too. As long as the door isn’t pushed down too tight.

I’d probably get a piece of garage door weatherstripping, the kind that glues down to the floor under the door, and cut a small gap for the cable. Garage Door Threshold Seal | Frontgate

Of course, an outside mounted HPWC would be another option.

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered suggestion, links to other solutions, etc. Much much appreciated!

For now I'm going to stick with going under the garage door as that seems the easiest solution and I'll adjust the garage door to not close so hard on the cable. If it bugs me to open the garage door every time I want to charge I'll move the outlet to outdoors with a lock as suggested.

Now I just need to buy a Tesla ha ha.

Michael

Yes if you're car is locked the cable can not be removed. You'll also get a notification on your phone that charging has been interupted if someone tries as the button usually stops the charge. But it wont be allowed to be removed and will restart charging once button is released on charger.

Yes if you're car is locked the cable can not be removed. You'll also get a notification on your phone that charging has been interupted if someone tries as the button usually stops the charge. But it wont be allowed to be removed and will restart charging once button is released on charger.

OK cool good to know.

Tesla sure has thought through the details. I like it!

Michael