Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

newbie charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I typically charge in my home's garage with a Tesla wall charger.

I've been reading that it is good to plug in my TM3 everyday.

Also, it is good to recharge when the battery is < 20% charged.

So I tried to reduce the charge amount to less than 50% but the app won't let me set it lower than 50%.

So, do I not plug it in every day or do I charge it when it is > 20% charged?

Thanks

So I tried to reduce the charge amount to less than 50% but the app won't let me set it lower than 50%.

Thanks

Your overthinking this. There is no recommendation to "recharge when the battery is less than 20% charged". There is no reason at all, as it relates to charging, to "run it down before charging it back up".

If you want to charge to 50%, then do that, but there is no reason to wait till the car is at 20% before you charge it.

Reactions: Rocky_H and cgell

Thanks
Tesla recommends that you plug in daily. Ive read that it isnt recommended to let the change go below 20% or above 90% (unless going on a road trip). I keep mine topped off daily at 80%. You will also find that, at times, you will set it at a certain percentage (say, 80%) and it will charge a few percent above (for example, 83%). Hope this helps