Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie...disappointed, but it's my own fault!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just joined the forum but have been lurking for a couple of weeks learning from your experience of the Model S. I test drove a P85D about 2 weeks ago and was blown away! I've had some fast cars in my time, but this was just addictive :)

It just so happens that the demo that I drove was EXACTLY the colour and spec that I wanted, so I discussed buying it and on the market it went. I then went into personal debate mode and really couldn't decide whether to make the jump or not and, unsurprisingly, someone bought the car while I dithered about with an 'on/off' mindset!

A bit of a pointless post I guess, but I have honestly never been so gutted to miss out of a car and especially as it was entirely my fault for being an indecisive idiot! Anyway, I will now be watching the used car page on the Tesla site like a hawk in the hope that something that ticks my boxes comes along.

I look forward to being a member of this erstwhile community of owners :)

Cheers,
Dom.

That's a bummer....as is (in your words) being an indecisive idiot. :D What was the primary cause of your hesitation and are you over it?
After a couple of years of consulting and running my own business, I'm going back to a full time role and, having not started the job yet, I was debating whether I was making a big commitment too soon. Head versus heart issue...not one that the head usually stands a chance in :)

... running my own business, I'm going back to a full time role and, having not started the job yet, I was debating whether I was making a big commitment too soon...

Expect you have already discovered this, but there are significant benefits [but they are tapering] of buying a 100% battery-electric vehicle as a company car [now]. 100% first year write-off, much lower benefit-in-kind tax and All/Most/Some "re-fuelling" charging using Company's electricity.

By my calculation for each 10,000 miles-per-year there is a saving of £100 per month (on fuel). If you do, say, 25,000 miles p.a. then sticking the extra £250 a month on the Finance makes a fair difference to the sticker-price vehicle that can be afforded ...

... but its all heavily based on Man Maths of course :)

Expect you have already discovered this, but there are significant benefits [but they are tapering] of buying a 100% battery-electric vehicle as a company car [now]. 100% first year write-off, much lower benefit-in-kind tax and All/Most/Some "re-fuelling" charging using Company's electricity.

By my calculation for each 10,000 miles-per-year there is a saving of £100 per month (on fuel). If you do, say, 25,000 miles p.a. then sticking the extra £250 a month on the Finance makes a fair difference to the sticker-price vehicle that can be afforded ...

... but its all heavily based on Man Maths of course :)

I'm a huge fan on Man Maths ;)

My problem is that my new employer doesn't offer a company car scheme, so it's down to me to sort out my own vehicle and claim XXp/mile for miles on company business. This is a potential benefit too though as there's zero fuel cost if I use Superchargers and Ecotricity where possible.

Just need to find the right car now! :)

claim XXp/mile for miles on company business

I'm guessing that your company mileage isn't huge, otherwise presumably it would make sense for the company to provide you with a vehicle, but perhaps worth doing the sums comparing your mileage-reimbursement rate to home-electricity at Night Rate (presumably worth changing your meter to that, if you don't already have Economy-7/similar). Cost of a charge is pretty cheap, so I doubt it is worth the hassle of using Super-charger /Ecotricity except when on long journeys / destination-charging - but if there is one near to work then that would make sense ... or run an extension lead to the 13 amp socket next to your desk :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that your company mileage isn't huge, otherwise presumably it would make sense for the company to provide you with a vehicle, but perhaps worth doing the sums comparing your mileage-reimbursement rate to home-electricity at Night Rate (presumably worth changing your meter to that, if you don't already have Economy-7/similar). Cost of a charge is pretty cheap, so I doubt it is worth the hassle of using Super-charger /Ecotricity except when on long journeys / destination-charging - but if there is one near to work then that would make sense ... or run an extension lead to the 13 amp socket next to your desk :rolleyes:
I will have a UK office in London that I'll get the train to from Wiltshire where I live, but most of my work life will be spent flying around Europe, so most journeys will be the 75 miles each way trip back and forth to Heathrow. I doubt I'll do more than 12k miles a year and only about 30-40% of that will be work related :)

A quick update as I think it's a worthy one. The car I was so gutted to miss out on has come back to me after the prospective purchaser changed their mind as they wanted a different interior colour, so I'm getting it :)

Just need some advice now on how to remain calm and focused on other things until it arrives!

Reactions: EV Guy