TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Newbie found something cool or odd

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Msjulie, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

So I told my Roadster it should start charging about 12am each night (our cheaper rates are midnight to 6 or something) and it's all good. Plug the car in at home, shows 'preparing... and the time it will charge

I take it to work and plug it in there to the ChargePoint charger and first time I tell it start charging. From then on, it seems the car knows more than me? At work today it gets plugged in and starts charging w/o any help from me so I figure ok I confused it when I forced it to charge yesterday but when I get home I plug it in because it will be sitting for a day or so and I figure leave it plugged in. To my surprise, it shows 'preparing.. and the 12am time I had programmed

Does my car know where it is such that it can know this or is it just behaving erratically but ironically how I would want it to...

Inquiring minds and all

2. bolosky

bolosky Member

Yes, it knows where it is by using the GPS. What you're seeing is the designed behavior.

Welcome to 2008. :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  3. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

That's cool, I was hoping it was working as it should vs just lucky :)

4. MileHighMotoring

Wow, color me impressed. That's got to be the most advanced feature I've learned about in a Roadster.

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

<shameless plug>Oh, you probably haven't seen OVMS Advanced Charge Control (ACC). My car is set to recognise when I park at home and plugin. It immediately starts a 10A range mode charge to cool down the battery to below 31celcius. Once that's done, it looks at the SOC%, and estimates how long it would take to charge from that to 90%, then sends the car to sleep. It then wakes early in the morning and starts a full (off peak) charge timed to get to 90% just before I leave for my drive to work. :)</shameless plug>

The roadster built in location based charge control is pretty cool, and one of the best I've seen. But the offered charge profiles are pretty limited and not customisable. The Model S seems more mature in this respect.

• Like x 2
  6. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

Compared to my 2013 current e-car (lease ending soon) it's rocket science

7. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

Oh, Elon doesn't let rocket-science people work at Tesla; anybody caught doing rocket-science at Tesla is immediately moved to SpaceX. That way, when other car manufacturers complain about the difficulty of building a superb EV car, Elon can just say "building a great EV isn't rocket science ..."

• Funny x 5