Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie found something cool or odd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I told my Roadster it should start charging about 12am each night (our cheaper rates are midnight to 6 or something) and it's all good. Plug the car in at home, shows 'preparing... and the time it will charge

I take it to work and plug it in there to the ChargePoint charger and first time I tell it start charging. From then on, it seems the car knows more than me? At work today it gets plugged in and starts charging w/o any help from me so I figure ok I confused it when I forced it to charge yesterday but when I get home I plug it in because it will be sitting for a day or so and I figure leave it plugged in. To my surprise, it shows 'preparing.. and the 12am time I had programmed

Does my car know where it is such that it can know this or is it just behaving erratically but ironically how I would want it to...

Inquiring minds and all

Wow, color me impressed. That's got to be the most advanced feature I've learned about in a Roadster.

<shameless plug>Oh, you probably haven't seen OVMS Advanced Charge Control (ACC). My car is set to recognise when I park at home and plugin. It immediately starts a 10A range mode charge to cool down the battery to below 31celcius. Once that's done, it looks at the SOC%, and estimates how long it would take to charge from that to 90%, then sends the car to sleep. It then wakes early in the morning and starts a full (off peak) charge timed to get to 90% just before I leave for my drive to work. :)</shameless plug>

The roadster built in location based charge control is pretty cool, and one of the best I've seen. But the offered charge profiles are pretty limited and not customisable. The Model S seems more mature in this respect.

Compared to my 2013 current e-car (lease ending soon) it's rocket science

Oh, Elon doesn't let rocket-science people work at Tesla; anybody caught doing rocket-science at Tesla is immediately moved to SpaceX. That way, when other car manufacturers complain about the difficulty of building a superb EV car, Elon can just say "building a great EV isn't rocket science ..."

If I set the car to start charging at 10PM, but arrive home after 10PM, the car won't start charging immediately, but instead will wait until 10PM the next day. I would prefer the car followed slightly different logic: "begin charging if time of day is between 22:00 and 06:00. do not stop charging until complete". Do I need OVMS (or smart EVSE) to do this?

If I set the car to start charging at 10PM, but arrive home after 10PM, the car won't start charging immediately, but instead will wait until 10PM the next day. I would prefer the car followed slightly different logic: "begin charging if time of day is between 22:00 and 06:00. do not stop charging until complete". Do I need OVMS (or smart EVSE) to do this?

That's not my experience. If I arrive within a few hours of the scheduled start time, it will start on plug-in. I don't know how long the window is, however.

Not that it often happens, since mine is set for 1AM. Might as well draw power at the grid's lowest point.

I think the Roadster charging scheme works like the Model S. If you plug in anytime within 6 hours of your scheduled charge start time it will begin charging immediately and will keep charging until the charge is complete. If you plug in after that time it will wait to start charging until the next scheduled time.

Reactions: dhrivnak