Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Here - Just Configured by Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But delays concerning the Model 3, being already reduced to the max (sometimes more than what is beneficial) and streamlined for optimal production output, were certainly not to be expected and each further delay announcement is another disappointment, and not just for jittery Wall Street - which I don't care for one moment by the way.
I think the root of your concerns is that Tesla set certain expectations for Model 3 deliveries and they aren't meeting expectations for two reasons, namely production delays and changes in delivery priorities. Hopefully we can agree that, as Elon Musk tends toward over-optimism on time schedules, the production delays are not in any way "evil" on Tesla's part.

It appears that you do have an issue with Tesla changing delivery priorities in order to become profitable and improve its standing on Wall Street. But Tesla needs to (a) remain solvent and (b) be in a strong position to raise additional capital if/when needed to develop new products. Also, employees at Tesla (not just Elon) receive a substantial portion of their compensation in the form of stock or stock options. Recent attacks on TSLA directly affect Tesla employees and Tesla's ability to recruit and retain employees. If TSLA doesn't do well, then Tesla would likely need to increase cash compensation to its employees in order to remain competitive. So we should care about Tesla's standing on Wall Street.

All of that said, it's understandable that Europeans would be disappointed at having to wait longer for the Model 3, as it would be great if Tesla could at least deliver some well-equipped M3s to Europe. Maybe it would be better to start sending at least a trickle of cars to Europe and elsewhere, while still selling large numbers of cars in the US right before the US tax credit ends.

Just for "fun", look at the sales figures for the Model S in Germany 2018 versus 2017:
Jan: 45 versus 96 (-53%)
Feb: 124 versus 163 (-24%)
Mar: 304 versus 457 (-33%)
Apr: 71 versus 124 (-43%)
May: 112 versus 206 (-46%)
Before 2018, it was almost contiuous growth year-on-year.
Those numbers are certainly not impressive, even for 2017. It appears that quite a number of potential BEV buyers in Germany are indeed waiting for BEVs from German companies, now that they are on the horizon. If brand-loyal Germans prove willing to buy large numbers of BEVs from German companies, then that would be a good outcome even if it's not ideal for Tesla's long term business.

I think the root of your concerns is that Tesla set certain expectations for Model 3 deliveries and they aren't meeting expectations for two reasons, namely production delays and changes in delivery priorities. Hopefully we can agree that, as Elon Musk tends toward over-optimism on time schedules, the production delays are not in any way "evil" on Tesla's part.
Things would have been very different if 10-20k people reserved the Model 3 early. I'm not sure the number reserved was expected. That changed the way things rolled out very significantly.

All of that said, it's understandable that Europeans would be disappointed at having to wait longer for the Model 3, as it would be great if Tesla could at least deliver some well-equipped M3s to Europe. Maybe it would be better to start sending at least a trickle of cars to Europe and elsewhere, while still selling large numbers of cars in the US right before the US tax credit ends.

Absolutely. Especially as I would have liked to get a well equipped, long range dual motor version (P would be overkill, but depending on the price might sway me otherwise) I would have certainly done my part to keep Tesla profitable so to speak.

I'm sure this question has been discussed/answered etc multiple times here, but I have missed it: My understanding is they are taking open orders currently regardless of line waiting etc, so are all "line wait reservations/$1000 down" meaningless now? Would line waiters somehow get a first crack at a SR car if that's what they were waiting for?
Looks like Reservation date does matter. We already own Model S, not sure how that affects priority.

From my page, reformatted.

Estimated delivery
Oct.'18 - Dec.'18

We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame will be based on
- reservation date,
- order date,
- delivery location and
- vehicle configuration.

My guess:
- When Tesla does a production run of particular configuration/color, recipients are chosen by
- Reservation date and order date.
- Particular VINs are allocated by delivery location to optimize month-end results. Looks like those closest to Fremont tend to get delivery later in the month.