Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie: How can I delete scheduled charging at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m ready for my first road trip. My car is now scheduled to be 100% charged via my Wall Connector by 9am.

That’s great, but I don’t often do road trips and I don’t need to use scheduled charging in routine use. (80% will be fine too.)

How can I delete a schedule and revert to right-now-thank-you charging after my trip?

Controls > Charging > Switch to Scheduled Charging/Scheduled Departure

Also, your trip may go faster if you don't totally follow the pre planned stops. If you're going to charge beyond 50% it will take longer; look ahead to next charging options by looking at lightning bolt for chargers available; you may be able to skip a stop, deplete battery to around 10% and then stop and charge to about 50% and then proceed again. If you find a charging stop full, rather than wait look at other alternatives along route; you may find a 250kW charger rather than a planned 150kW charger. There's obviously a learning curve to cross county travel as I see MY/M3 owners spending (what I consider) an inordinate amount of time at chargers. With 200K miles under my belt I charge to about 50% and go.
Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
The nice thing about the manual is that it’s always there. Unfortunately, it’s not always clear. (It identifies how to establish schedules. It does not indicate how to remove one.)

Also not clear: I set scheduled charging for 9am. I plugged in at 5pm and saw that charging had commenced, which surprised me. I had expected charging to commence per the schedule. I stopped charging for now. Can I expect that charging will restart per the schedule!

Also not clear: I set scheduled charging for 9am. I plugged in at 5pm and saw that charging had commenced, which surprised me. I had expected charging to commence per the schedule. I stopped charging for now. Can I expect that charging will restart per the schedule!
Open up your app. If your vehicle is plugged in and scheduled to charge, it will tell you what time the car will start charging. This will still happen even if you pressed the “stop charge” button to stop the charge until the set time. It has always charged when it tells me it will, so you should be able to trust it.

The nice thing about the manual is that it’s always there. Unfortunately, it’s not always clear. (It identifies how to establish schedules. It does not indicate how to remove one.)

It may have shown moving green lights to show it was ready to charge. Also, if you have any 3rd party apps that can screw up scheduled charging and off peak charging, etc.
Not sure what's confusing you in the app or in the manual. Of course, if you have EVSE that allows something else by way of schedules, that's out of my league. I strictly use my app or the touch screen in the car. It sounds like your EVSE is battling against what's programmed in the car. Someone else may have to help here.

Thanks. I’m using the Tesla Wall Charger.

I think I have it all straight now. I got confused because I had enabled Departure charging and that appears ONLY to work in my Tesla app when Off-peak charge is also selected. (The manual would appear to imply that that’s optional. I only get the appropriate confirmation in the app when I DO select it.)

Safe (and efficient) Thanksgiving travels everyone.

I got confused because I had enabled Departure charging and that appears ONLY to work in my Tesla app when Off-peak charge is also selected.

Same here.

We don't have off-peak rates, but the only way I can get Scheduled Departure to work is to set off-peak to the same time as the scheduled departure time.

Setting it to a bit later than scheduled departure works too.

What may have happened is that the vehicle started to charge and then you scheduled it to charge after, so you had to press stop charging. It should stop on its own, but doesn’t always for me. You don’t need to use off peak to schedule charging.

The other guess is that you tried to set scheduled charging in the vehicle and set it up incorrectly because it is a bit confusing. Here is a video explaining where some people get it wrong - YouTube link