Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie is charging questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I’ve had my MYLR for about 2 weeks now. Did a 414 mile round trip as a dry run for a 1400 mile round trip in 3 days. Everything went fine but had a few questions.

I was at a charger that was set up as follows 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B
On the other side it was
4A, 4B, 4C, 5A, 5B, 5C

1) When I came in there was a car at 1A and 3A. If I pulled into that side should I have pulled into 2A or use one of the Bs?
I’m confused here because I heard you should not charge next to a person but in this case it seems that’s what you should do?

2) has anyone seen A,B, and C for a setup before? Are these all load shared? So if 3 cars plug in there it’s 150/3 = 50kw per?

3) also had countless (probably in the 20s breaking events) seemed like where they had patched up a line across the road, bridges, darker roads caused these events. Could a dirty windshield also cause this?

4) also had several times were despite pressing the accelerator the car still displayed a notification that because the accelerator was being pressed it would not apply the breaks. There were long stretches (over 1 min+) where I had to hit the accelerator because if I let it go it would immediately break. The message was displayed the whole time. Once the message went away or I disabled autopilot and reengaged it then it was fine. Has anyone experienced this? What do you do in this situation? Do you hit the break to get off autopilot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey guys. I’ve had my MYLR for about 2 weeks now. Did a 414 mile round trip as a dry run for a 1400 mile round trip in 3 days. Everything went fine but had a few questions.

I was at a charger that was set up as follows 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B
On the other side it was
4A, 4B, 4C, 5A, 5B, 5C

1) When I came in there was a car at 1A and 3A. If I pulled into that side should I have pulled into 2A or use one of the Bs?
I’m confused here because I heard you should not charge next to a person but in this case it seems that’s what you should do?

2) has anyone seen A,B, and C for a setup before? Are these all load shared? So if 3 cars plug in there it’s 150/3 = 50kw per?

3) also had countless (probably in the 20s breaking events) seemed like where they had patched up a line across the road, bridges, darker roads caused these events. Could a dirty windshield also cause this?

4) also had several times were despite pressing the accelerator the car still displayed a notification that because the accelerator was being pressed it would not apply the breaks. There were long stretches (over 1 min+) where I had to hit the accelerator because if I let it go it would immediately break. The message was displayed the whole time. Once the message went away or I disabled autopilot and reengaged it then it was fine. Has anyone experienced this? What do you do in this situation? Do you hit the break to get off autopilot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1) Which Supercharger location were you at? Version 2 is 150kw but shared between 2 stalls where paired stalls are addressed with matching numbers and different letters such as 3A and 3B. You would not want to use a member of a pair of possible. Version 3 is 250kw and each stall gets full power. I believe they are addressed in groups of four as the charging equipment drives four stalls. They would be 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, for example.

2) If that actually exists it's probably a V3 that didn't need fourths on each charging unit (stuff inside that big electric box behind the fence) or they couldn't run the cable for a fourth or there wasn't another parking spot or something.

3) "Phantom braking". It's super duper annoying. There's lots of talk about it on this forum.

4) Your first sentence seems like you have a text error there? You are pressing the accelerator so it can't apply the brakes. That is correct. If you are pressing the accelerator it can not apply the brakes. It should display that message for as long as you are holding the accelerator. When I think that I need to take control of the vehicle, in any capacity (steering or throttle) I press the right-stalk upward to disengage all control automation. It's the same as tapping the brake without actually applying any stopping force.

Additionally if all you want to do is change lanes while auto-pilot is enabled it is recommended to enable the turn indicator first. This tells the car that you are going to take control to change lanes and it will release control of the vehicle as soon as it feels pressure on the wheel in the direction indicated by the turn indicator. If you do not use the turn indicator the car will resist allowing the wheel to turn until you apply significant pressure. Then it will release control and you will likely jerk the car with the wheel - not recommended.

1) Which Supercharger location were you at? Version 2 is 150kw but shared between 2 stalls where paired stalls are addressed with matching numbers and different letters such as 3A and 3B. You would not want to use a member of a pair of possible. Version 3 is 250kw and each stall gets full power. I believe they are addressed in groups of four as the charging equipment drives four stalls. They would be 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, for example.

2) If that actually exists it's probably a V3 that didn't need fourths on each charging unit (stuff inside that big electric box behind the fence) or they couldn't run the cable for a fourth or there wasn't another parking spot or something.

3) "Phantom braking". It's super duper annoying. There's lots of talk about it on this forum.

4) Your first sentence seems like you have a text error there? You are pressing the accelerator so it can't apply the brakes. That is correct. If you are pressing the accelerator it can not apply the brakes. It should display that message for as long as you are holding the accelerator. When I think that I need to take control of the vehicle, in any capacity (steering or throttle) I press the right-stalk upward to disengage all control automation. It's the same as tapping the brake without actually applying any stopping force.

Additionally if all you want to do is change lanes while auto-pilot is enabled it is recommended to enable the turn indicator first. This tells the car that you are going to take control to change lanes and it will release control of the vehicle as soon as it feels pressure on the wheel in the direction indicated by the turn indicator. If you do not use the turn indicator the car will resist allowing the wheel to turn until you apply significant pressure. Then it will release control and you will likely jerk the car with the wheel - not recommended.
Thanks!

I was at the limon Colorado super charger. Looks like they have old 150kw and some newer 250kw. The newer stations looks like there was 8 so probably 4A - 4D and 5A - 5D. Everyone was on the 150 when I arrived so I didn’t think anything of it. I’ll know for next trip in 3 days :).

For the phantom braking there was a warning on the screen about “unable to brake because accelerator is manually pressed”. Which makes sense. But what caught me off guard was the fact that it stayed on for over a min stretch at a time! I thought it was like a quick event and then would resume if you hit the accelerator.

Thanks for the tip of moving the stalk up to disengage. I was hitting the brake to disengage but because I had my foot on the accelerator to stop it from braking due to autopilot and then having to hit the brakes myself to disengage it was a very unsettling situation.

I was able to figure out the lane switching and that worked out great.

Reactions: LoudMusic