Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie looking to buy a Tesla S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got approved by my credit union for a loan 60k. I have a bit more saved up but want a Tesla S. Been wanting one for years but now the stars are aligning.

Been scouring the internet (car guru, Craigslist, auto trader, autolist, ebay looking and hoping I can get a late 2014-2015 P85D

I live in an area where we get some weather so I know I need the “D” model. And really want the “P” power!

Don’t know how much more over my 60k I have to come up with.

Any advice to where I can find one besides the places I searched and about what price they usually trade for?

Thanks I’m advance from a newbie

also you might want to look into your state laws regarding private sale vehicles. In Nevada and a few other states. Private sale cars are not subject to sales tax.... I saved just under 7K by buying from a private owner... then turned around and used 4K of that to buy the extended warranty... Win-win

That being said in my opinion you will have a hard time finding a P85D below 75K unless it has a lot of miles.... or is not well optioned. An 85D is an easier find in that price point for sure...

Lastly as others will attest to... an early 2014 P85D can be very different than a 2015... the earlier cars have a stiffer + suspension and more often than not staggered wheels... this is what I would find...although not for everyone LOL

Good luck with you search...

one other point...

with the money you are spending the trade off is simple.... speed and range vs. technology... you have to decide what is most important to you... a decent P85D is going to cost you 75K... for that same exact 75K (after tax credits) you could conceivably get a brand new 75D (0-60 in 4.2 sec) which is plenty fast enough, the same as a P85 with almost exactly the same range..Maybe even less if you can find the right inventory car. (I saw one go for 67K after tax credits at the end of Q3) Plus so much more technology including AP 2.5 and a lot of "options" that are now standard equipment...use my referral code and it is 1K less (Had to get that in)...

IMHO... unless you are launching from every traffic light a new 75D would satisfy your need for speed... In short don't overlook new or newer... the better technology might be a better deal and a better long term deal in terms of resale as well... it comes down to how fast you want to get from 0-60 that 1 less second can cost a lot in technology...

Hope that helps

You make a lot of sense.. the vanity of having a P has gotten into my head... I think the right choice really will be a newer technology with 2nd gen autopilot

As I type this, I am still wanting to buy a P. Found a private party on a 2014 P85D for 66k.. window sticker of 128k bit has 40k miles

So tempted just to pull the trigger! I guess these are good decision to have to make..

one other point...

with the money you are spending the trade off is simple.... speed and range vs. technology... you have to decide what is most important to you... a decent P85D is going to cost you 75K... for that same exact 75K (after tax credits) you could conceivably get a brand new 75D (0-60 in 4.2 sec) which is plenty fast enough, the same as a P85 with almost exactly the same range..Maybe even less if you can find the right inventory car. (I saw one go for 67K after tax credits at the end of Q3) Plus so much more technology including AP 2.5 and a lot of "options" that are now standard equipment...use my referral code and it is 1K less (Had to get that in)...

IMHO... unless you are launching from every traffic light a new 75D would satisfy your need for speed... In short don't overlook new or newer... the better technology might be a better deal and a better long term deal in terms of resale as well... it comes down to how fast you want to get from 0-60 that 1 less second can cost a lot in technology...

Hope that helps

So I found a used p85d for 66k with 40k miles 2014...

Any advice on what I should look for and what possible pitfalls buying a non cpo used Tesla might have?

That seems like a pretty good deal. Is the car local --- can you take it to Tesla to get a pre-purchase inspection? I bought my P85D with 12k miles earlier this year for $85k (private sale, not CPO). With 40k miles, I'd suggest looking into the extended service agreement (warranty). For about $70k out the door (well, plus tax), you'd get a P85D with a 8 year, 100k mile warranty.

At that price you are really better off buying an inventory (new) car.

For a "P" model? The lowest price Inventory "P" model right now is $117k and in Hawaii!

That seems like a pretty good deal. Is the car local --- can you take it to Tesla to get a pre-purchase inspection? I bought my P85D with 12k miles earlier this year for $85k (private sale, not CPO). With 40k miles, I'd suggest looking into the extended service agreement (warranty). For about $70k out the door (well, plus tax), you'd get a P85D with a 8 year, 100k mile warranty.

For a "P" model? The lowest price Inventory "P" model right now is $117k and in Hawaii!
I beg to differ
85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H15EFP50107 | Tesla

At that price you are really better off buying an inventory (new) car.

But looking at the new/Inventory 75D suggestions, the lowest prices is $74,800 for a new car, but looking at the lowest priced new 75Ds, they are pretty bare boned cars -- 19" wheels, textile seats, no sub zero, hifi, or SAS.

upload_2017-10-20_9-30-59.png