Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie model 3 owner: must have upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having owned one or another Honda all my life, I am not sure I know how to care for my new Tesla and could really use your help. Buying an expensive car is a big hurdle (but the math checks out when u squint at it) and I don't want to ruin it (as I invariably do with auto carwashs or ungaraged storage). Can you please recommend must have puchases that will help protect and care for my tesley without breaking my bank and r not just indulgent helicoper-mom-esque vanity purchases (I'm talking about logo puddle lights. I got better use for that money)

I'm thinking:
1. All weather mats (NJ snows r getting more brutal)
2. Center console wrap (the gloss is a bit distracting)

On the fence for:
1. Window tint
2. Car wrap (my current car has tons of small pebble Nick's and a wrap might erase? most of those)
3. All weather tires (I got the RWD)

Appreciate your help. Self sufficient single mom, so need to watch those $

Thank you so much
Desi

Welcome to the forum!
Full car wrap is rather expensive. Consider wrapping just the front end and mirrors. Regardless of whether you do the wrap or not, ceramic coating might be a good choice. Makes car washing much easier.
Depending on your charging situation you might need some additional charging adapters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desi42 and 9erDog
Having owned one or another Honda all my life, I am not sure I know how to care for my new Tesla and could really use your help. Buying an expensive car is a big hurdle (but the math checks out when u squint at it) and I don't want to ruin it (as I invariably do with auto carwashs or ungaraged storage). Can you please recommend must have puchases that will help protect and care for my tesley without breaking my bank and r not just indulgent helicoper-mom-esque vanity purchases (I'm talking about logo puddle lights. I got better use for that money)

I'm thinking:

On the fence for:
1. Window tint
2. Car wrap (my current car has tons of small pebble Nick's and a wrap might erase? most of those)

Thank you so much
Desi
Hi Desi,
Welcome to the forums and the Tesla family.

Here’s some info for mats:
Favorite Floor Mats?

If you’re interested in paint protection film PM me. I just had full Xpel film done.

I’ve been in NJ almost 30 years and have never needed snow tires. In my opinion all seasons are fine. I know others may not agree but it’s worked for me. I’ve lived in upstate NY and that’s where you really need snow or winter tires.

Reactions: Desi42
Agree no snow tires. All weather are fine. I live in seacoast nh and have never had snow tires. Just drive slower and don't go when we get the 2 footers. I found the mats they provide are pretty good. Of course I have a garage so snow doesn't get in the car as much. Get a tesla charger they are so easy to charge the vehicle with. You can also get the 14-50 plug installed which is cheaper and charges almost as fast. I applied the silicone to the window seals but since I have a garage it hasn't been put to the test yet. I get the brushless car washes but it probably should only be done if the temps are going to be above 32. Xmas might bring me floor mats(not sure yet!).

Since you mentioned auto carwashes, I thought I’d post a link from a fellow MS owner who’s carwash place used a power spray on his bumper. I’ve seen places that say they do a hand wash but pull out the power wash for the tire area. I’m guessing this guy’s place got over zealous on the wheels and hit the bumper close up. Paint pressure washer damage

—If it were me I would prioritize all weather tires as top purchase this winter in NJ. I use to live back east in snowy weather and snow tires really help with the traction.
—Some type of all weather mats even if from a local Costco to minimize the snow/ice dirt damage to your flooring to start off with. You can always add nicer mats at a later date. Also a fan of the 3D Maxpider kagu mats BTW.
—As someone who has clearbra on both of our cars, can’t say enough about it protecting the paint from the rock chips, door dings, etc. saved us a number of times already on our not-2-yr-old MS. I’d say if you can invest in a full custom wrap (edges covered), you can’t go wrong with it. This is assuming you plan to keep the car for a while. At the least have the detailer fully wrap edges on what panels he does so you don’t get dirt lines that might drive you crazy. You do want to find a highly recommended installer who has done a lot of Teslas. Go to the shop to see their work and have them explain what you will be paying for. I do see this as an investment in your car and it’s a nice chunk right up front.
—Don’t forget to have windshield washer de-icer handy. If you pick up a lower trunk compartment organizer you should be able to store a jug upright safely in your car and always have on hand.

You’re in NJ not Florida so I would not put tint high on my list. See how you feel once you’ve gone through a summer there. You can also buy the roof sunshades from Tesla to cut down on glare inside the car. We have a set on our MS and like it; however i’m holding off on my Model 3 until I see if I need it with my factory tinted roof. We don’t walk out of the house without UVA/UVB sunglasses on. The Model 3 can be climate preconditioned before you get in and the fan works very quickly and efficiently so heating or cooling the car shouldn’t be a big concern. You also can set Cabin Overheat Protection to be on to keep it around 104F. You’ll loose some battery range, amount will depend on the conditions—think 10 miles on really hot days for us was around the most—but we consider it worth it. And if you charge at home or at work each day it shouldn’t be a worry. Also on the tint, be aware that it could affect your being able to see your auto dimming side and rear mirrors well if too dark...posts on this.

The Console wrap and door sill plate wraps are nice to do. The console wrap will likely be a vinyl and so even if you do later and have scratches that will cover it up. I think the door sill plates are a higher priority (if you go for clearbra they can do for you at the same time) as these would be done in clear and harder to mask scratches from your shoes.

I’d say the above would cover the basics.

Things like a frunk and trunk mat, cargo organizer for your trunk are all nice additions. I bought a few console “helpers” recently that I really love and feel are almost essentials—a 3/4 sunglass tray so I can store kleenex below and access the box while giving me a place for sunglasses and change, coffee cup/water bottle insert rings to secure my liquids in place.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Welcome to the forum!
Full car wrap is rather expensive. Consider wrapping just the front end and mirrors. Regardless of whether you do the wrap or not, ceramic coating might be a good choice. Makes car washing much easier.
Depending on your charging situation you might need some additional charging adapters.
Ceramic coat will NOT protect the paint from rock chips. It makes the car easier to keep clean and looks terrific, but from what I understand, only a PPF (paint protection film) like Xpel will prevent minor rock chips.

• Informative
Definitely yes on the console wrap. Most kit run around $45 and if you watch the installation video, it is easy to do. (The patterned ones like carbon fiber are trickier to align, I believe.) And a screen protector- matte finish cuts the glare but it softens the graphics.

• Informative
Welcome to the forum - nice to see a fellow mom around here :)

The only things I've purchased so far are the 3D MAXpider floor mats and the Tesla frunk and trunk all-weather mats. Very happy with the protection those provide. I am hoping to purchase one of @Kenriko 's console wraps as soon as they are on Amazon Canada.

Not sure how old your little one(s) is/are and if this is doable, but I also instituted a "no food/water only" rule in the car - which has really helped. ;)

• Funny

I'm thinking:

On the fence for:
1. Window tint

Thank you so much
Desi
Required accessory today: Driver

Just get out and enjoy the car