Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie navigation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Better Route Planner it fails to pick up the route Google does which is both quicker and a straighter/easier drive

Don't know for sure, but most Mapping sites got caught out recently when Google started charging (massive fees) for their routing services. ABRP changed the "find a destination" to a free source, and whilst it is good it is nothing like as good as the previous Google-powered location-finder was. Maybe ABRP had the same licensing/fee issue with route planning and have had to switch to something free but less good?

My view, after 4 years of ownership, is that the navigation has good points and bad points. The display is great, but as discussed above, it only offers one route and works fine normally if that's the route you want. Occasionally the route it offers is not the best. If you know which way is better you just have to go the way you know and it eventually re-routes. More difficult if you haven't used that route before, which is where a backup satnav can be useful, although I've hardly ever had to use mine.

It sometimes does some weird things. The route off a dual carriageway (A23) to my house used to work fine. A few months ago after an update it decided I should go up to the next sliproad and back on the other carriageway!! I just ignore it as I know the road. I can only think there is a bug in the information that tells it that the overbridge is closed or something. Driving round the south of Paris last January - always a challenging navigational exercise, with multiple slip roads close to gather - it decided to take me off south on the A6 instead of direct to the programmed Thiais supercharger destination at Orly, 4 miles on, which route was rather clogged up with the usual Friday evening Paris traffic. I was expecting to filter off right onto a parallel distributor road anyway and only realised too late, resulting in a 15 minute detour to get back to where I was.

It generally works fine for long motorway and main road trips but can produce some weird cross country routes.

This is all a bit depressing tbh .

One of the reasons I went for a Tesla is that it uses Google Maps as no incar nav system has ever been as good as using Google on my phone .

Now I'm learning it only gives you one route, isn't that good and you're better off using Waze!?

This is all a bit depressing tbh .

One of the reasons I went for a Tesla is that it uses Google Maps as no incar nav system has ever been as good as using Google on my phone .

Now I'm learning it only gives you one route, isn't that good and you're better off using Waze!?

Google Maps has never been used as the navigation system, it’s always only been the map overlay on the MCU. Here’s a link from last year which explains the current system well;

https://electrek.co/2018/03/30/tesla-new-navigation-engine/

Most owners report it’s as good as Waze, and although I’m not an extensive user I’ve always found it to be very good and the binnacle display is much better than the previous version.

That said, it still lacks features such as waypoints - ‘coming soon’ no doubt ;)

28,000 miles in my first year of ownership, working at different places all over the UK.

The onboard SatNav has been great, I follow it all the time as, as stated, I am travelling to different places so I do not know the areas.

Once, the SatNav was attempting to take me a different way home and I (knowing better) followed my usual route :-( 6 hours later I arrived home (should have been 3 hours MAX).

Yes, there are limitations due to not having waypoints, also the SatNav always assumes you can charge at your destination (not practical for me) but a bit of common sense enables an extra charge enroute to at least get you to your next charge.

I have, once or twice, slung a heavy duty extension cable out of a Premier Inn window to get a few more % overnight :)

I have, in the past, always used TomTom SatNavs and had no issues with those either, in fact I still have one but have not used it for a year!

As always - each to their own.