Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question about charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the Tesla charger for home. I ended up buying a in stock Model 3 yesterday and my electrician didn’t have time to install the charger in the panel for 220. He said he hooked it up for 110 until he has more time. I’m questioning if that works? I didn’t get a free 110 charger with mine. Thanks for any advice!

Uhhhh … possible, but weird. Only situation I can think of is that he did not have a dual pole breaker on hand? You can always try to charge with it and see what happens. The car display will show the amp/voltage the car is seeing. Curious what it shows when you try.

Assuming you plan to run the wall connector (I assume you have the wall connector) at the top speed of 48-amps, then it needs to be on a 60-amp circuit. Please ensure your electrician does NOT use #6 Romex. That wire is rated at 55-amps and is not suitable for use with the wall connector. You need a wire rated at 60-amps.

Hooking it up for 110 or 220 is the same amount of time. And you pay for an electrician’s time! And they always have time to charge you.

What wire size did he run? IMHO Something doesn’t smell right.
There should be a flag on this play.

Reactions: Regaj
Thanks, so the charger doesn’t have to be hooked to wifi to schedule charging?
No. The charging devices don't "push" charging into the car, so they don't control it. They make the connection available, and then a car can "request" to start charging when it wants to. So you schedule from the car side for it to start when it wants.

I have tried to schedule on app and it always resets so I thought the problem was the charger wasn’t connected to wifi.
I would normally do this from the charging screen in the car. The car's app on a phone should be able to do this, but there have been a couple of glitches over the years with that, so I wouldn't generally try it from there.