Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie - Question about extension cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am waiting for the delivery of my Model Y which is now scheduled to happen sometime late May early June (order placed September 2021).
The house has a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed on the right side of the garage. I guess the previous home owner backed their Tesla up into the garage when parking. Let's just say my wife's parking skills leave a lot to be desired and I am asking for dings and dents if I ask her to backup the car into the garage.

Question is what extension cords would you recommend so that I can connect the cord up to the power outlet and run it across the top of my garage door and have it hanging on the left side?

I am considering using this:

Thanks for any help.

That looks like it may work - Others have used this one: NEW! Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters and been happy.

How are you planning on charging your car - using the mobile connector or getting a wall unit? The mobile connector has a 20’ length and the wall connector has a 24’ length. I have a wall connector on the back wall of my garage and it’s plenty long enough to reach the charge port without backing in.

Also, depending on your parking situation, I’d strongly consider moving the outlet to a more convenient spot. Ideally you could put it on the left wall of the garage so you could drive straight in and have it next to the charge port. Either way, eliminating the need for an extension cord is preferable for multiple reasons.

Reactions: davewill
The charging cable on the Gen2 Mobile Connector is actually just over 18 ft in length. the 20 ft would include the Mobile Connector chassis and the power plug.

The current Gen3 Wall Connector features a 24 ft charging cord. Consider extending the current charging circuit inside the garage, then hard wiring the Gen3 Wall Connector. This would enable slightly faster charging at 40A versus 32A (with the Mobile Connector) and the flexibility of the longer charging cord. Some have even installed the Tesla Wall Connector on the ceiling above the garage door.

I was going to make a post about this but haven’t gotten around to it -
I found some trolleys at Rockler That I used to hang the cord from the ceiling in a track. It lets me simply pull the cord out to charge and push it back when I’m done.
BF851D4A-548E-433E-B186-4DE43AE99F8C.jpeg

Am waiting for the delivery of my Model Y which is now scheduled to happen sometime late May early June (order placed September 2021).
The house has a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed on the right side of the garage. I guess the previous home owner backed their Tesla up into the garage when parking. Let's just say my wife's parking skills leave a lot to be desired and I am asking for dings and dents if I ask her to backup the car into the garage.

Thanks for any help.

You should be fine with that extension cord.

I've used a 25' 10-30 cord many times with no issues. Granted I was only drawing 24 amps, but mine has 10 gauge wires and never got warm. I wouldn't hesitate to use the one on your link. It has 6 gauge wires. Go for it.

Last edited:

Question is what extension cords would you recommend so that I can connect the cord up to the power outlet and run it across the top of my garage door and have it hanging on the left side?

Thanks for any help.
I have that exact cord from Camco. No problems here. That thing is a monster to uncoil though.....

Reactions: Rocky_H and CaseyL
In case it's helpful, I have a weekend home in the mountains and I charge with a 50ft extension cord off a 110 outlet. Charges at 4 miles an hour. No issues (even in rain). Extension cord is for outdoor use. Make sure to get a cord that has enough gauge.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve