Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

newbie question for experts (90D w AP2 or P90DL w AP1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
90D with AP 2.0 no contest. AP 2.0 will likely exceed the safety and reliability of AP 1.0 less than 6 months from now by virtue of the four cameras, more sensitive sonar and much more powerful neural network and computer. You may find the car so good you keep it in 3 years and then you will be glad you have a car with full self driving.

On the other hand if you like drag launches more than anything else go for the P100DL...

As a first Tesla? Get the performance model. I leased a P85D and loved every minute of it. The AP1 is incredible and the likelihood of AP2 having full self driving enabled (by legislation) in the next 2-3 years is minimal. But if they do allow it you can trade in your performance model. The thrill of a P90D for the next couple of years while the government tries to wrap their heads around self-driving cars will be worth it!

Reactions: Model S M.D.
By the way... Perfomance models have excellent resale and I was recently able to trade in my lease at the 2 year mark for a 90D Model X (will miss the performance a bit until the Model 3 arrives) with no penalty (actually Tesla paid me to buy the car back!) and my lease payments lowered moving to a loaded X90D.

I would vote for the P90DL, but I drive a 60 so take my vote with a grain of salt. You are leasing and I really doubt the AP2 is going to be self driving by the time your lease is up. AP1 is already pretty solid. Also depends on how you plan to use the car. I drive my car around town primarily which means I rarely use AP. If you are driving 100 miles a day on the interstate that might change the equation for you. I could also argue the P and L are not really that worth it to me either just driving around town. However, I would smile a lot more doing that launch everyday :D

Really depends on how much driving you do. With AP1, doing really well and relaxed on highways here, but i drive 2k miles per month. That being said, i had a chance to drive a MS P85D with AP1, and P was great! If you drive alot, AP2, if not get the P, and trade in/turn in later. I agree regulators will not be able to move that fast to approve FSD, so likely will have to have hands on wheel.

90D with AP 2.0 no contest. AP 2.0 will likely exceed the safety and reliability of AP 1.0 less than 6 months from now by virtue of the four cameras, more sensitive sonar and much more powerful neural network and computer. You may find the car so good you keep it in 3 years and then you will be glad you have a car with full self driving.

On the other hand if you like drag launches more than anything else go for the P100DL...

I have had AP 1.0 on both of my Teslas, the first being a 14 P85, and the second my current P90DL. I wouldn't hesitate to jump all over a P90DL with AP 1.0 vs. a 90D with AP 2.0, as I find my AP to be completely reliable when used for what I feel is its intended purpose: long stretches of road on the freeway cruising at a set speed. Would I use it on a windy mountain road? Never, but I doubt AP2.0 would be good for that either, no matter the press materials Tesla issues.

I've found over the course of the past two years that Elon Musk is much more of a salesman than he is an actual deliverer of product. He promised those of us with AP 1.0 the ability for the software to read traffic lights, for summon to pull out of the garage and meet us at our front doors, etc. (does any of this sound familiar?). I don't buy that any of the real AP 2.0 promises will come to fruition either based on legislative hurdles or software limitations.

You're leasing; go for the P90DL... there's more to the car than just drag racing...see what happens in 3 years. That's what I did, and I'm not regretting a moment of it. My .02

Reactions: u00mem9
It depends on what you are looking for. You'll be happy with either. If you are more tech-inclined, then AP2.0 might intrigue you more with the potential monthly feature releases Elon mentioned recently (yet it still has great performance in the 90D). If you are more performance-inclined, then the P90DL would be a better fit for you (yet it still has AP1.0 to satisfy tech features). Just make sure to order by the end of December if you want free supercharging with the car (gets dropped to 400 kWh per year on January 1st), and order by January 15th to get an extra $1000 off with a referral code (I assume by now you have one). Good luck with your decision!

Thanks everyone! Went with the P90DL...happy to join the Tesla Club! Really appreciate everyones comments and willingness to help out a newbie. Next question: I have a 50AMP dedicated circuit to the garage, do I need to upgrade this to 60AMP for the TESLA Gen2 wall charger?

If you want the full output of the wall connector you will need a 100 amp circuit. But it will work fine with anything less. Obviously it will just charge more slowly.

Thanks everyone! Went with the P90DL...happy to join the Tesla Club! Really appreciate everyones comments and willingness to help out a newbie. Next question: I have a 50AMP dedicated circuit to the garage, do I need to upgrade this to 60AMP for the TESLA Gen2 wall charger?

Yes, to charge at the 48A max. But I would double check that you need to charge at more than 40A. The car will always be able to fully charge overnight and 40 vs 48 isn't really going to make much difference during spot charging opportunities during the day (your circumstances may vary)

Reactions: lakerholic