Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question - Is it a good idea to get a Tesla in my situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So guys I'd like your opinion.
I'm thinking on getting a model s (I'm between P70 and P90) and I have a daily commute of 50 miles.
The problem is that the association at my building doesn't allow me to install a charger.

I'm planning to move some time middle next year so this won't be a problem in the short future.
But my current car lease is ending on January, so I need to make a decision by that time.

At the office parking there is non charger, however there are a few ones pretty close. (Star is my office, Green are public stations and Orange is a high power).
office.png

I understand that the best experience is to charge it daily at home. However, this is not my case for now.

So what do you think?

PS: Extend my lease is not a valid solution :(

You might have better luck getting a charger installed at the work parking location, you could even subsidize it, making the decision easier for them.
Yes I'm already working on this, trying to get signatures to make it faster. But off the record they told me that it's not gonna happen soon :(

So what I want to know from experience drivers is how complicated would be to use it public chargers?
I understand that experience of a EV is different to a regular one, meaning that the ides is not use chargers as gas stations.
However in my this situation do you think that is doable or my experience would be really bad? Also I have a supercharger 12 miles from home.

Yes I'm already working on this, trying to get signatures to make it faster. But off the record they told me that it's not gonna happen soon :(

So what I want to know from experience drivers is how complicated would be to use it public chargers?
I understand that experience of a EV is different to a regular one, meaning that the ides is not use chargers as gas stations.
However in my this situation do you think that is doable or my experience would be really bad? Also I have a supercharger 12 miles from home.
Visit the local supercharger and shopping center 2-3 times a week till you solve home/work charging.

Reactions: gabeincal
the PlugShare map for Coral Gables, FL looks different than your picture above. There is a HPWC at the Hyatt regency there, but I suspect it is for patrons only. according to PlugShare there are 4 HPCWs at 121 Alhambra Plaza. this may be the same garage as the Hyatt b/c they are part of the same complex.

I would check out the parking rates at these places -- since charging is typically free, i would just consider the parking cost to be your charging cost and top your battery up every few days as needed.

Using those public chargers should be fine. Level 2s are great for leaving your car for several hours. So you could charge in the morning and walk to pick the car up at lunch. Check the comments on plugshare to see how busy the chargers are as well as how many plugs and the costs. Sign up for the networks they are using in advance (chargepoint, blink, whatever)

I'm in a similar boat as you are. Live in an apartment building with 0 charge prospects, been an owner of model S for a week now. Due to charging situations in my area solely rely on Supercharger 1-2 a week which is located 20miles 1 way. Don't let the situation dis-way you. It is manageable even thought it is a hassle.

so, using the public chargers a the office won't work for me?

The chargers at the Museum Garage on Aragon Avenue should work best as they seem to be closest to your workplace, and they are listed as free on the PlugShare app. Also, they're about 7 kW so they should give you a good charge rate of over 20 miles/hour. You may want to check as far as the parking fee which might be waived for electric cars. Tesla Superchargers are also free, and there are some nice restaurants at the Plantation one. So, I think you will be fine!

As a understand your original post, this is an interim problem for probably 6-8 months. In that case I'm sure you can learn to work with the public L2 chargers. You could expect to get about 20mph from the L2 chargers and depending on your other driving and the availability of the public chargers, you'll probably figure out how to get by and then dip into the SC from time to time.

However, familiarize yourself with the threads in the User Interface forums before ordering a car. The MS is not entirely as it appears in the showroom. I'm not suggesting you don't want to buy one, just that you should manage your expectations.

I would spend a week or two scouting out the chargers and making sure there's regularly a spot for you. You'll need ~5 hours of charging every day, which is fine if you're parking there for work. You'll be able to skip a day, but not 2 in a row.

Hopefully, you can get a charger installed at your new place/work soon, I personally wouldn't recommend a Tesla with a 50-mile commute and having to rely exclusively on public L2 chargers.

I live within the map you show. I live in a Coral Gables Condominium also and had a long ordeal without my own charging, although I eventually did get permission. I spent several months with no nearby charging. Now most of the CG City parking lots do have charging, as PlugShare shows, so that is an easy solution for some months, although you would need to pay for parking. Otherwise my building in within easy walking distance from your office, so we might be able to work out a way to share my charger, I do have a spare parking space you could use. PM me if you would like to discuss options. I certainly do know the area.

Waw, thanks a lot guys for the answers.
For sure I feel much more confident right now.

However, familiarize yourself with the threads in the User Interface forums before ordering a car. The MS is not entirely as it appears in the showroom. I'm not suggesting you don't want to buy one, just that you should manage your expectations.
What do you mean with MS ?

PM me if you would like to discuss options. I certainly do know the area.
I'll do it, thanks

For me personally, had I not been able to install an 80 amp charger charging at 58 mph I would never have considered a Tesla. My time is too valuable to be messing with sitting around and charging. I bought the Tesla to save me time at gas stations, not spend extra time charging. So I charge at home and at work for normal commutes which is 130 mile in each direction for me.

Yes, it takes longer on long distance trips in theory but in practice our stops are no longer when we're on a 1000+ mile trip than it was in the Prius because we need to the time too do bathroom breaks, drinks, and the occasional sit down meal.

I couldn't tolerate the extra time just to go some place and sit while I charge.

Since it is only a short term problem and you seem to have quite a few options available, I wouldn't let that stop you. I assume you have a 50 Mile round trip commute (you don't say), so you would have to charge every 3 days or so if you do no other driving (warning... that is very hard to resist). That will give you a reasonable reserve depending on your battery selection.

Once you have a home solution, you will be all set! Good Luck!!