Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question - Is this a good configuration for my current needs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after a lot of recommendations on this thread, I've made my decision and of course I'll get a brand new model S.

And this is the configuration that I want:
  • Enhanced Autopilot
  • Full Self Driving Capability
  • Glass Pano Roof
  • Premium Package
  • Ultra Fidelity sound
I have no need of Subzero (live in FL) or rear facing seats.
Also I really don't see how important the Air Suspension is it, specially with 19" wheels.

So I'm between 75D and 90D. I'm thinking that this 35 miles difference could be good for me because of my charging situation.

Also I think that lease would be the right choice for me considering that technology is moving so fas that even if Tesla does update the software every year, the hardware required for next big updates would require a different car.

So, what do you think?

You're probably wasting your money for self-driving if you're getting a lease and turning the car in at the end. Can't imagine it being fully activated in less than 2 years. Maybe they will roll out some functionality as it is proven. Who knows. Maybe it won't even be legal for the foreseeable future. Tesla may have little control over new regulations.

I went from coil to air and no big difference. A little better going over speed bumps.

I went from standard sound in a classic S to UHF in Refresh and no big difference listening to Slacker. Definitely more bass. Maybe it is more impressive with a better music source.

Only you know whether 35 miles range is worth $10,000. In Florida you will get the rated range year round. Not me.

Over 80% of buyers chose Pano. I didn't notice much difference other than the extra headroom for passengers.

In Florida you don't have as much need for AWD. In that case is 10 miles and 0.3 seconds worth $5,000 to you? The S85 didn't seem that much slower than the 90D. I just don't floor it that often, but I always seem to leave cars behind at the light without much effort.

Pick something that makes you and your pocketbook happy. I doubt you will have Buyer's remorse. Tesla will likely only have incremental changes for quite a while now, other than the 100D.

Looks good! I'd ditch the "UF Sound" and go 3rd party (Reus) if you can. Much more bang for the buck.

I have air suspension and although I love it, you won't regret going coil (unless you want to raise the car for a steep driveway or lower the car for aesthetics).

Also, go with the bigger battery -- you'll be glad you did.

I never lease cars. I've made out well buying/selling.

Looks good! I'd ditch the "UF Sound" and go 3rd party (Reus) if you can. Much more bang for the buck.

I have air suspension and although I love it, you won't regret going coil (unless you want to raise the car for a steep driveway or lower the car for aesthetics).

Also, go with the bigger battery -- you'll be glad you did.

I never lease cars. I've made out well buying/selling.
Love the idea of the sound.

Regarding buying I have a basic question...
If I loan the car instead of leasing, and I want to sell in 3/4 years is it possible?
probably I won't be looking to make money, may be just break even to get a new version if make sense.

If I were you, with your needs, following would be my config

- 60 RWD
- Metallic Paint
- Pano Roof
- Next Gen Seats
- Premium
- Enhanced AP

For a 50 mile commute, a 60 is plenty for a round-trip. You would still be left with about 90 miles.

I would wait on Self-driving until it matured and then maybe add once there was enough data to support it's capabilities. For the above config, your price point would come down to the high 70s which is a great entry point with options to upgrade still available.

Love the idea of the sound.

Regarding buying I have a basic question...
If I loan the car instead of leasing, and I want to sell in 3/4 years is it possible?
probably I won't be looking to make money, may be just break even to get a new version if make sense.

The thing about buying and then selling is you are the one taking the risk on depreciation, whereas with a lease the finance company takes that risk.

If you know you are going to want to sell in 3 years, you should figure out what the car is likely going to be worth on trade-in after that time period and calculate the real cost of ownership (purchase price less sale price plus interest expense) and compare that to the total amount you will pay on the lease for the same period (upfront payment plus total amount of lease payments). That way you can see which one is better for you.

I used to always buy CPO cars (most recently BMWs) that were 2 or so years old financed over a 60 month term. I would typically put 20% down as well. Every time I would end up owing about $6k to $7k more on the car than it was worth after 2 - 3 years when I would be ready to trade in. That is fine as long as you know that is going to happen and build that in to your expectations.

For myself, I know that I am going to be getting a new car every 3 years at least so a lease makes the most sense to me so I don't have to deal with trade-in values, etc. That is why I am leasing my current car, and is why I am going to lease the Model S I ordered a couple weeks ago.

If I were you, with your needs, following would be my config

- 60 RWD
- Metallic Paint
- Pano Roof
- Next Gen Seats
- Premium
- Enhanced AP

For a 50 mile commute, a 60 is plenty for a round-trip. You would still be left with about 90 miles.

I would wait on Self-driving until it matured and then maybe add once there was enough data to support it's capabilities. For the above config, your price point would come down to the high 70s which is a great entry point with options to upgrade still available.

This is basically what I got. If you live in the south and are using it primarily for a daily commuting, this seemed by far the best for the money to me. Some of those extras are a lot of money for a pretty marginal value. I feel like some people pay a lot of money just to get the badging and the knowledge that they have the best even though it isn't that useful to them.