Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question on door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery last night - been playing setup with every spare moment today.

I went to pickup my son and when I pulled over to get him, I assumed he just needed to touch the handle to get it to present, but it didn't seem to work, eventually I rolled down the window so he could lean in and open the door that way

So is there a trick to letting someone in while the car it is going, or was he just not touching the handle correctly?

Thanks

You have 2 other options.

1. put the car in park and the handles will automatically extend
2. click the car on the bottom left of the 17 in screen and then unlock from the screen.

Would suggest looking at the Wiki on this site and perusing the FAQ threads. Lots of helpful information for new owners.

Congrats on the new addition to your family

If you look at the lower left side of the dash, you'll see a lock icon. The car was most likely locked.

To let passengers in, there are a number of ways:

1. Put it in park.

2. Use the unlock button in the controls section of the 19" display.

3. If you're already in Park and the handles have sucked in, then flip to D and back to park or use the control screen.

After you've been parked a while, the handles will retract but doors will be unlocked, so whoever you're waiting for can then approach and push the handle to extend it. Alternatively if you're in park and the handles are in after waiting a while, you can shift to neutral and back to park right quick to extend the handles for them.