Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question on new model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I see that in early Nov an updated model 3 appeared. Slightly longer range, bit faster, different door handles/trim, etc. I’m assuming if I ordered a brand new model now, that’s the one I’d get. If I waited a bit and looked for a used version, what’s the distinction between the “older” and “newer” model? Is it model year 2020 vs 2021? My understanding is that Tesla just rolls stuff out at random not necessarily for different model years so just looking to clarify how to identify the new model from the old model (if it’s not as simple as model year).

It’s all in the Vin. 10th character on 2020’s is L. 10th character on the 2021 is M.
Awesome, Thanks! And just to clarify/confirm, all these announced changes were model-year related changes, meaning changes from 2020 to 2021 model as opposed to randomly inserted changes, and therefore 2021s (or where 10th vin character is M) will contain these updates.

Awesome, Thanks! And just to clarify/confirm, all these announced changes were model-year related changes, meaning changes from 2020 to 2021 model as opposed to randomly inserted changes, and therefore 2021s (or where 10th vin character is M) will contain these updates.
Yes, if you have the "M" in your VIN then you have the new refreshed model 3. Once you're matched with a car you can also verify with your Tesla advisor which one it is. If for some reason you get matched with a 2020 you can refuse it (I did twice) and wait for the 2021.