Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question - Tesla Apps for iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for my MX100 in June. I see a well regarded app for Tesla models that only works with Android, and I see a general statement that Tesla does not like/facilitate third party apps. Are there particularly useful apps that go beyond Tesla's own app (which I cannot explore, apparently, until after delivery)? I am especially interested in an app which can charge the MX100 by specifying the amount, amperage and ENDING TIME.

Reactions: dreamwave6
I know of no apps that currently will set Ending Time. But you can do some simple math (Volts, Amps, current mileage, desired mileage) and then set your Tesla to begin charging at the appropriate time.

FWIW, Remote S is a great 3rd party Tesla app, and is supported on the Apple Watch.

Remote S is one of the best (iPhone, Allen has said he will probably work on an Android version, I believe). The problem with an ending time setting, if I recall the details correctly, is that the app needs to stay in the foreground to maintain the control needed to stop the charging when needed.

Not many people want to give up the control of their phone for that duration of time, and you can’t set the ending time on the car, of course.

I know of no apps that currently will set Ending Time. But you can do some simple math (Volts, Amps, current mileage, desired mileage) and then set your Tesla to begin charging at the appropriate time.

FWIW, Remote S is a great 3rd party Tesla app, and is supported on the Apple Watch.
Ditto on the watch comment, forget to mention that. I use Remote S daily, and it has tons of features the ‘basic’ app does not. Works on all three car models.

Why do you think you need to set amperage and ending time? This is a common concern among prospective owners but once people get experience with a Tesla they find it’s not necessary. What is your special circumstance that you think this would be important?

Why do you think you need to set amperage and ending time? This is a common concern among prospective owners but once people get experience with a Tesla they find it’s not necessary. What is your special circumstance that you think this would be important?
I need to set amps so that I do not overload the circuit. My concern is that if you wish to have available the full capacity for a particular road trip, and you do not want to leave the charge at 100% any longer than necessary, you would like the full charge available when you leave but not before. Yes, you can calculate this roughly, but I have the impression that the length of time to charge the last 20% is not easily calculated. Maybe I am missing something.

Ditto on the watch comment, forget to mention that. I use Remote S daily, and it has tons of features the ‘basic’ app does not. Works on all three car models.
Remote S asks for "My Tesla" login. Do you give this app your login credentials for what you use for Tesla itself? I suppose this is a stupid question because the app needs to have access to the vehicle data but it raise the issue of third party access to possible other information that only Tesla should have - or am I missing something?

Remote S is one of the best (iPhone, Allen has said he will probably work on an Android version, I believe). The problem with an ending time setting, if I recall the details correctly, is that the app needs to stay in the foreground to maintain the control needed to stop the charging when needed.

Not many people want to give up the control of their phone for that duration of time, and you can’t set the ending time on the car, of course.
Excellent point - thank you, but would it not be possible to delegate that decision to the computer in the car?

There’s an app called Co-pilot Plus for Tesla that looks interesting. One of the features they offer is a crowd sourced review of places where Autopilot fails or doesn’t perform well. The app also has some other features and is relatively new.

Remote S asks for "My Tesla" login. Do you give this app your login credentials for what you use for Tesla itself? I suppose this is a stupid question because the app needs to have access to the vehicle data but it raise the issue of third party access to possible other information that only Tesla should have - or am I missing something?
The app gets your token from Tesla and only stores that. There is a support thread on the Tesla.com forum for the app as it proved too costly for Allen to have a vendor account on TMC. If you want more info on the app you can check there or at regoapps.com. (No connection but satisfied user!)

I need to set amps so that I do not overload the circuit. My concern is that if you wish to have available the full capacity for a particular road trip, and you do not want to leave the charge at 100% any longer than necessary, you would like the full charge available when you leave but not before. Yes, you can calculate this roughly, but I have the impression that the length of time to charge the last 20% is not easily calculated. Maybe I am missing something.
1. You don’t need to set the amps. Don’t you think Tesla has worked this out for the hundreds of thousands of cars it’s sold to people who don’t know what an amp is? Using the UMC the car automatically sets the amps at 80% of the outlet type. For example, plugging into a 14-30 dryer outlet with the appropriate UMC adapter it sets the charge at 24A. You don’t have to do anything or think about it. It’s made to be idiot proof. With the Gen 2 UMC it has a max of 32A for 50A circuits, not 40A. If you’re manually having to turn the amps down for some reason, you would do that in the car while you’re plugging in, not remotely from an app.

2. You’re thinking of supercharging, not AC charging. The charging rate plugged into an outlet is constant until the last few percent. Charging to 100% before a trip isn’t hard— you will know how many miles/ hr your car charges at when at home, and count backwards. Don’t focus obsessively on time at 100%. A few hours is fine, just don’t keep it there for days. Or what most people do is charge to 90% as usual the night before, and use the Teska app to start charging to 100% when they wake up and are getting ready to leave. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to go from 90% to 100% when charging at 32A. If you have 98% or 99% when it’s time to leave, no big deal. (If 1 or 2% are going to matter, you’re cutting it too close anyway).

1. You don’t need to set the amps. Don’t you think Tesla has worked this out for the hundreds of thousands of cars it’s sold to people who don’t know what an amp is? Using the UMC the car automatically sets the amps at 80% of the outlet type. For example, plugging into a 14-30 dryer outlet with the appropriate UMC adapter it sets the charge at 24A. You don’t have to do anything or think about it. It’s made to be idiot proof. With the Gen 2 UMC it has a max of 32A for 50A circuits, not 40A. If you’re manually having to turn the amps down for some reason, you would do that in the car while you’re plugging in, not remotely from an app.

2. You’re thinking of supercharging, not AC charging. The charging rate plugged into an outlet is constant until the last few percent. Charging to 100% before a trip isn’t hard— you will know how many miles/ hr your car charges at when at home, and count backwards. Don’t focus obsessively on time at 100%. A few hours is fine, just don’t keep it there for days. Or what most people do is charge to 90% as usual the night before, and use the Teska app to start charging to 100% when they wake up and are getting ready to leave. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to go from 90% to 100% when charging at 32A. If you have 98% or 99% when it’s time to leave, no big deal. (If 1 or 2% are going to matter, you’re cutting it too close anyway).
This is helpful. Thank you for the perspective.