Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Questions: 2021 M3 SR+ SuperCharging Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Newbie here expecting our M3 SR+ early next month. We went with the SR+ due to price (can't really afford the LR) and I am now noticing more of the differences other than the range. Few questions I am hoping other M# owners can help with:

1) I notice the SR+ has a slower supercharging max at 170kw vs the 250kw on the LR. With most SuperChargers running less than 250kw (only V3s?) I am wondering if you still have pretty fast charging times (like the advertised 200 miles in 15 min)? I noticed on the Tesla trip planner it still shows 40 minutes for most charges vs. 15 mintutes if I put in a M3 LR. Seems like a larger dependency than the kw max suggests.

2) For home or non-Tesla station charging, it seems like most chargers (like the ChargePoint I have at work) max out at 6 or 8 kw. Do those of you with M3 SR+ notice any a lot of non-Telsa chargers that you are being capped at the 7kw.

3) Last, any road tippers (500 miles+) with a M3 SR+? Is it doable? ABRP App makes it seem like the charging times are way less than the Tesla trip planner.

Sorry these may be small, silly questions. Just trying to prepare for the full EV life. Thanks for any help or insights.

Solution
1. no, you wont be able to charge "200 miles in 15 minutes" in an SR+ because the car has less max range, so will hit its "supercharging slowdown curve" sooner.

2. LT connectors (the charger is in the car, actually) are all over the map as to what they offer. In general, however, I find they do not offer me the full speed my model 3 performance can take. I charge faster at home (60 amp circuit, charging at 48amps) than elsewhere, but I dont charge elsewhere much except work, which is half the speed I charge at home.

3. Yes, people do this all the time. It might mean an extra stop or something but people road trip in SR+ just like they do in other vehicles.

What you really should be asking, however, is something you didnt ask here...
1. no, you wont be able to charge "200 miles in 15 minutes" in an SR+ because the car has less max range, so will hit its "supercharging slowdown curve" sooner.

2. LT connectors (the charger is in the car, actually) are all over the map as to what they offer. In general, however, I find they do not offer me the full speed my model 3 performance can take. I charge faster at home (60 amp circuit, charging at 48amps) than elsewhere, but I dont charge elsewhere much except work, which is half the speed I charge at home.

3. Yes, people do this all the time. It might mean an extra stop or something but people road trip in SR+ just like they do in other vehicles.

What you really should be asking, however, is something you didnt ask here, which is:

4. What is the actual range you can drive in an SR+ for daily use, especially when its cold, as I live in UTAH and it will be cold in the winter here?

Answer, since you will normally be charging to 90% and running it down to 20 ish percent, the effective range when you are not on a road trip is not 263 miles. Thats 236 miles to 52 miles, or 184 miles. Miles will not roll off at a 1:1 clip, unless you drive about 50MPH so expect that 184 miles to be somewhere between 160-184 in actual usage. Expect a 20-25% hit on that in the winter when its cold out, so that 184 effective daily range is now roughly 140, and it still wont roll off at 1:1 so 125-140.

So, the answer to the question 4 I just posed, in a TL ; DR manner, your daily range is somewhere from 160-185 in the spring / summer / fall, and somewhere in the 140-165 in the fall, unless you charge to 100%, or drive lower than 20%.

On a road trip, you will charge to 100 and drive till like 10% to 15%, then charge at a supercharger from 10-15% to 50-60% then drive till you are back down to 10-15% again.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Solution
Thanks

What you really should be asking, however, is something you didnt ask here, which is:

4. What is the actual range you can drive in an SR+ for daily use, especially when its cold, as I live in UTAH and it will be cold in the winter here?

Answer, since you will normally be charging to 90% and running it down to 20 ish percent, the effective range when you are not on a road trip is not 263 miles. Thats 236 miles to 52 miles, or 184 miles. Miles will not roll off at a 1:1 clip, unless you drive about 50MPH so expect that 184 miles to be somewhere between 160-184 in actual usage. Expect a 20-25% hit on that in the winter when its cold out, so that 184 effective daily range is now roughly 140, and it still wont roll off at 1:1 so 125-140.

So, the answer to the question 4 I just posed, in a TL ; DR manner, your daily range is somewhere from 160-185 in the spring / summer / fall, and somewhere in the 140-165 in the fall, unless you charge to 100%, or drive lower than 20%.

On a road trip, you will charge to 100 and drive till like 10% to 15%, then charge at a supercharger from 10-15% to 50-60% then drive till you are back down to 10-15% again.
Thanks jjrandorin. This was really helpful.

Upvote 0
Thanks

Thanks jjrandorin. This was really helpful.

Sure, no problem.

Also, the "how far can I go" information I gave you was not to try to scare you or anything. If you boil it down, the information. I am really sharing boils down to:

1. Is my DAILY commute less than 140 miles round trip? If so and I can expect to charge either at home, or at work, range is a non issue for me with an SR+.

Reactions: BBrownUT
Upvote 0
Sure, no problem.

Also, the "how far can I go" information I gave you was not to try to scare you or anything. If you boil it down, the information. I am really sharing boils down to:

1. Is my DAILY commute less than 140 miles round trip? If so and I can expect to charge either at home, or at work, range is a non issue for me with an SR+.
Thanks, I found it really helpful. I have a fairly short commutes and free Level 2 charging at work so I plan to charge there when needed. I assume the recommendation is to wait until it is 20% then charge to 80%? And I also assume you can tell your M3 to stop at 80%?

Upvote 0
Thanks, I found it really helpful. I have a fairly short commutes and free Level 2 charging at work so I plan to charge there when needed. I assume the recommendation is to wait until it is 20% then charge to 80%? And I also assume you can tell your M3 to stop at 80%?
No, thats not necessary (to run it down to charge it back up). In the tesla manual they specifically say that is not needed. Also, with the standard tesla app, you are not setting it to a percentage. Its a slider you slide that shows "daily" with hashmarks that basically boil down to 50-90%, and "trip" which boils down to 90-100%.

I would just plug in every time you get to work, since its free, and have your charging set to 80-90%. I am certainly not going to get into the "whats best for the battery" debate as that horse has been beaten, killed, ressurected, beaten again, shot, killed, resurrected and beaten again (lol). Just plug it in when you get to work (since its free for you) and set your charging somewhere between the "daily" hashmarks of 50-90%, whatever you want to do there.

• Funny
Reactions: duanra and BudB
Upvote 0
No, thats not necessary (to run it down to charge it back up). In the tesla manual they specifically say that is not needed. Also, with the standard tesla app, you are not setting it to a percentage. Its a slider you slide that shows "daily" with hashmarks that basically boil down to 50-90%, and "trip" which boils down to 90-100%.

I would just plug in every time you get to work, since its free, and have your charging set to 80-90%. I am certainly not going to get into the "whats best for the battery" debate as that horse has been beaten, killed, ressurected, beaten again, shot, killed, resurrected and beaten again (lol). Just plug it in when you get to work (since its free for you) and set your charging somewhere between the "daily" hashmarks of 50-90%, whatever you want to do there.
Great thanks. I agree, the battery life debate is a wild one. Since it is free, I plan to charge at work every chance I can.

(Btw, I would "like/react" to you posts, but apparently I dont have the ability to react yet because I am too new?)

Upvote 0
Great thanks. I agree, the battery life debate is a wild one. Since it is free, I plan to charge at work every chance I can.

(Btw, I would "like/react" to you posts, but apparently I dont have the ability to react yet because I am too new?)

I am not sure how many posts you need to unlock those features (thats governed by the site owners, and most of the mods, including myself, are volunteers so dont set that stuff). They will appear after 10-15 posts I think.

Reactions: BBrownUT
Upvote 0